Image Game Tournament 2018 - DISCUSSION THREAD - DO NOT POST GUESSES HERE

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
CosmicMonkey
1271 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Image Game Tournament 2018 - DISCUSSION THREAD - DO NOT POST GUESSES HERE

Post by CosmicMonkey »

enh, I mean some do. But on this side of the pond Blur is treated more like a "cool sorta-obscure indie rock band" rather than "rock mega-superstars that everyone knows"

Except Song 2. Everyone knows Song 2.

3dRevelation
1164 Ratings

Post by 3dRevelation »

Maaxwell wrote:I'm guessing the current movie is American based on the truck in the first image, but then I can see Blur's Modern Life is Rubbish in the most recent one... and Americans don't listen to Blur, right?!

I mean I was alive when they started to make albums, but most of those were when I was like 10 years old and under and my music taste was like The Backstreet Boys ( :lol: ). I do know Song 2 though and Gorillaz' debut album is one of the first CDs I remember owning.

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

fifa 98

get ya head shaved
my itchy mochay

CosmicMonkey
1271 Ratings

Post by CosmicMonkey »

And yes, you're right. That first image is definitely in the United States; The truck has a North-American-sized license plate and the speed sign in the trees says "25" which rules out Canada and Mexico because no speed limit is ever posted at 25 km/h. The pick-up truck in question is a third-generation Dodge Dakota produced between 2004-2011. I looked through all the Dodge Dakota's listed on the internet movie car database but none of them seemed to match up, so either I missed it after multiple searches or it just hasn't been logged on the website yet. The license plate on the front doesn't have any numbers on it so it could just be a decorative vanity plate, or could be a special service plate reserved for sherriff's or firefighters or the like. Either way, since it doesn't have numbers on the front it means the vehicle must be from one of 17 states that doesn't require mandatory front-plates, or it could just be a simple goof on the part of the film-makers. The foliage in the image to me looks like Northern California or Southern Oregon, but I'm not the biggest expert on this topic, and it's possible I'm completely off.

And if anyone has difficulty reading it, two of the albums on the table in second-image are by Ferrante & Teicher, an American piano duo that most famously wrote the theme songs to a number of films during the 60s and 70s, including Cleopatra, Midnight Cowboy and Last Tango in Paris. I don't feel like I'm going to get this round right, but I didn't want all my research to go to waste, so... y'all are welcome :)

philamental
1717 Ratings

Post by philamental »

That is an outstanding display of detective work! I love understanding the thought process which leads to some of the guesses here.

There has been an unusual amount of clue sharing for this round but I don't believe it's led to anyone getting the right answer yet. I will say that some of the discussion has been very much on the right path, but I do fear that the relative dead ends that have resulted so far will continue for those who attempt to follow in those footsteps. If I could offer the most cryptic of clues (which I'm not sure anyone will understand). There is a reason why these images are the most clue filled so far in this tournament and it's the same reason why your detective work is failing ...

Final image is now in play ... good luck detectives!

philamental
1717 Ratings

Post by philamental »

Ok, so now we know the answer was Baby Driver. My cryptic clue was referring to the release date, in the sense that many of the lists/databases you guys were looking up clearly hadn't been updated to include a movie that was released in the last 12 months, and similarly such clue laden images hadn't yet been posted elsewhere online. When I saw maax's highlighting of Blur, I searched for Blur songs in movies and found a list, but Baby Driver wasn't included. That's when I knew that type of detective work was going to go unrewarded.

As for Blur specifically, the album cover is Modern Life is Rubbish and the track 'Intermission' from that recording is used during a key scene in BD (I almost mentioned the scene specifically which would have been a dreadful spoiler!). It therefore probably comes as no surprise that other album covers from songs on the soundtrack are also visible in that image. Pretty much under the Blur album is 'You Want It, You Got It' by the Detroit Emeralds. Moving across to the right of the foreground chair is 'Focus II' by Focus, and the last one I can make out is to the right again towards the background, partially obscured, is 'Bridge Over Troubled Water' by Simon & Garfunkel. All of these albums contain songs that were used in the film. If someone had spotted the Bridge Over Troubled Water album and scanned the track listing, they would have seen the closing credits track 'Baby Driver' which would likely have been a giveaway at that point but it would have been amazing detective work to find that.

Baby Driver was shot in Atlanta, GA so the North Western foliage angle was a complete dead end, I'm afraid.

As for Ferrante & Teicher, I can't explain any clear link for that one as even a direct search of them alongside Baby Driver doesn't bring up any results. That said, Edgar Wright is not the type of director to place something like this in a scene without good reason (see the scattered album covers as previously discussed) but it may just simply be his way to offer a nod of appreciation to their work from the films CosmicMonkey mentioned.

Something I thought might be a complete giveaway was the classic iPod (a key prop that was heavily featured in all marketing) in image two, but in the end nobody seemed to notice that.

I don't think anybody needs it spelt out for them, but just in case anyone thinks it's unfair to play a movie only released in the last 12 months, I think there is just as much chance of someone on here having seen one of the most popular recent cinema releases, as an old classic from the 40s. I try to spread the net of knowledge as far as possible for the tournament to be as inclusive as I can be.

So it's a shame that the internet means I can't often play a series of images so richly filled with clues because they've been already posted online and are searchable. I expect the same will happen with BD in the coming years as Wright's films are so popular so at least we got to play it now. It was a good round and I enjoyed the discussion on here even if the team effort didn't quite pay off in the end.

snallygaster
1646 Ratings

Post by snallygaster »

I think Baby Driver was a good choice; I wasn't expecting such a recent movie to be in the game so it felt like a minor twist. And the iPod in one of the photos made me think it was a bit older. I guess if there's a downside to using a recent movie it's that it might be an automatic get for those who happen to have seen it, since it will be fresh in the mind. Anyway, I like hearing your thinking in choosing your shots but I don't think anybody's going to feel any of your choices are unfair in any way. We're just enjoying the game!

philamental
1717 Ratings

Post by philamental »

I definitely want to hear about how everybody got Round 8 from that second image, but let's hold that discussion until the end of the round ;)

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

the second image somehow immediately reminded of the bricks scene in the movie

i think tht's what happened

snallygaster
1646 Ratings

Post by snallygaster »

That second image made me think of all the movies it didn't remind me of, so I ruled those out and was left with the correct answer. Elementary!