Image Game Tournament 2018 - DISCUSSION THREAD - DO NOT POST GUESSES HERE

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
philamental
1717 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Image Game Tournament 2018 - DISCUSSION THREAD - DO NOT POST GUESSES HERE

Post by philamental »

Cool :)

Also love the accurate description of 'crowd sourced tournament' you referred to in your DM as that's exactly what it is.

Current tally of interested players = 2 (Bowfinger, CosmicMonkey)

JSchlansky
4287 Ratings

Post by JSchlansky »

I'm definitely interested in this as well. Can I suggest just having the submitter get either 2 or 3 points for the round instead of averaging the scores as I could see the images being picked belonging to the easier variety since that would make more people score on it and thus increase the submitters individual score as well. By guaranteeing some sort of set score, it would add incentive since if they hadn't submitted they might not have scored any points on whatsoever in the round that would have ended up being played, if that makes sense

philamental
1717 Ratings

Post by philamental »

Thanks for confirming your interest, fella. That's 3 in the bag so far now :)

There are obviously a few ways of handling the submitter points, and my opinion isn't better than anyone else's but that said I disagree with your suggestion for a fixed points return for the round submitter. If the submitter's score is tied to an average, they are always going to be losing points to some players and gaining on others so there isn't much incentive to deliberately play a tough or easy round as it's all relative, so I would imagine they will just look to play a round that they enjoy playing for others.

Also the heaviest scoring round of Tourney 18 was Almost Famous (14 players scored) with an average of 3.1, with the lowest being Eyes without a face (4 players) with an average of 1.5. In those cases, the submitter would have scored 3 and 2 points respectively so almost everyone is going to end up scoring 2 or 3 points on their own round using an average score system, which is kinda what you were hoping to achieve with your fixed scores allocation anyway.

With fixed scores I could be tempted to play an impossible round ensuring nobody scored anything while my fixed score of 2 or 3 was guaranteed and I gain an advantage. If I attempted that with the average score system I too would score zero points so no advantage was gained.

Current tally of interested players = 3 (Bowfinger, CosmicMonkey, brickwall)

Victoriouz
11563 Ratings

Post by Victoriouz »

I think I could also commit to picking a movie that has at least 1000 ratings, sourcing 4 non searchable images and present them to you before the end of May, I'm just not sure if they'd represent a fair challenge (being too easy/difficult) though :P

mattorama12
3086 Ratings

Post by mattorama12 »

Definitely would be interested and could commit to picking a movie. I also agree that the average score of the round is the best way to score that round, since it eliminates any incentive to make it really difficult.

dunbar
1053 Ratings

Post by dunbar »

I'm down with finding images.

Honestly, in my wilder moments, I'm also down with setting up and running one of these tournaments. Yeah, I know, I'm a real party animal. :) But aside from the obvious part of clearing a schedule and planning something like this, two things keep stopping me. Firstly, I haven't come up with a flavour/style. And second, phil has set a fucking high bar. :?

JSchlansky
4287 Ratings

Post by JSchlansky »

I believe in you, dunbar

MacSwell
2706 Ratings

Post by MacSwell »

Given the amount of time I spend on this site... yeah I'm game too.

philamental
1717 Ratings

Post by philamental »

great stuff, guys!

We are over half way to a full size summer tournament. We could probably proceed once we have at least 10 but the closer we get to 15 the better. Anybody else able to commit to submitting a round and joining the names below?

Current tally of interested players = 8 (Bowfinger, CosmicMonkey, brickwall, Victoriouz, mattorama12, dunbar, maaxwell and paulofilmo via DM)

snallygaster
1646 Ratings

Post by snallygaster »

I'll submit, too.