Image Game Tournament 2018 - DISCUSSION THREAD - DO NOT POST GUESSES HERE

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
philamental
1717 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Image Game Tournament 2018 - DISCUSSION THREAD - DO NOT POST GUESSES HERE

Post by philamental »

Great! That's 10 so far which is enough for a three week tournament. Am I right in saying we'd all be happy to play a 10 round game even if no further rounds were added? I expect we'll get another one or two on board at least but 10 seems to be sufficient to commit to going ahead at this point.

Assuming you are all in agreement, the next decision is when to run this thing? I'm unavailable until the end of May and it seems pointless to defer until nearer the end of the year when it will be almost time for Tourney 2019 so I believe we're looking at June, July, August and at a push September. Are there any known date ranges in those months that aren't ideal for any of you? When you are all putting in the effort to submit a round, I'll like to try and make sure I do this when you have time to enjoy it. One player has already said they would struggle to play last week of June and first week of July. If June was otherwise a good month for everyone I could commit to starting last week of May and running it to the end of 3rd week of June. But let's see if there are any other holidays, exams, work or family commitments that people can foresee and would prefer to avoid clashing with and see what we are left with. A reminder that the World Cup (that's saawker to you yanks!) runs from June 14th to July 15th in the unlikely event that it would serve as too much of a distraction to anyone.

Current tally of interested players = 10 (Bowfinger, CosmicMonkey, brickwall, Victoriouz, mattorama12, dunbar, maaxwell, paulofilmo, cet1412 and snallygaster)

CMonster
1444 Ratings

Post by CMonster »

I'll throw my name in to make a round. Although in fairness pretty much any time I've ever managed to luck into winning a round in the image game thread I try to pick images that seem obtuse yet still somehow "of the film" and people get them right away so I'll volunteer for an early round or middle round when we need something on the easy side.

On an entirely unrelated note, can you guys help me convince about 850 more people to rank Vanilla Ice's magnum opus Cool as Ice? Just a little thing I'm working on.

mattorama12
3086 Ratings

Post by mattorama12 »

CMonster wrote:On an entirely unrelated note, can you guys help me convince about 850 more people to rank Vanilla Ice's magnum opus Cool as Ice? Just a little thing I'm working on.

Amazing. And this actually makes me curious about one thing. Will we know whose round it is? I would think we should not get to know. If that's the case, it might be a fun secondary guessing game to try to guess who choose the movie for that round...

philamental
1717 Ratings

Post by philamental »

mattorama12 wrote:Amazing. And this actually makes me curious about one thing. Will we know whose round it is? I would think we should not get to know. If that's the case, it might be a fun secondary guessing game to try to guess who choose the movie for that round...

I honestly was thinking about something like this myself but I wasn't going to say anything about it in case it influenced selections too much. I was thinking about a system where if it was my round and someone corrected identified it as me, they would get a point. But if someone guessed and didn't identify me, I would get a point. The initial attraction was that it may have led to a way for the submitter to score points on their own round. However there are drawbacks to that system. Firstly it has the potential to unbalance the game if a few players deceive everyone and get 10 points on their own round and others don't. Secondly we'd have to withhold the identity of every round until the very end of the tournament or it would become easier to identify those who hadn't been named for earlier rounds making it unbalanced.

About the best I could come up with was a system where if you guess the submitter you got a point. If 4 or more players guess the submitter, the submitter gets nothing. If 3 or less guess the submitter, the submitter gets two points. That would be reasonably balanced, but still requires the need to withhold the identity of every round and also would encourage every player to select movies that offer no clue as to their identity and then the whole thing falls apart as they could only be identified by luck rather than skill.

Overall I think it will probably be best to omit a scoring system based on identifying the submitter as it will encourage players to play something they identify with rather than one they have zero connection with. Personally I'd also find it more interesting to see what you all come up with without any influence to deceive. At least that's my take anyway.

Current tally of interested players = 11 (Bowfinger, CosmicMonkey, brickwall, Victoriouz, mattorama12, dunbar, maaxwell, paulofilmo, cet1412, snallygaster and CMonster)

mattorama12
3086 Ratings

Post by mattorama12 »

philamental wrote:Overall I think it will probably be best to omit a scoring system based on identifying the submitter as it will encourage players to play something they identify with rather than one they have zero connection with. Personally I'd also find it more interesting to see what you all come up with without any influence to deceive. At least that's my take anyway.

I definitely don't think it should count toward the main game. I mostly just thought about it as sort of a fun side game with potentially separate points. That said, I agree it would still tend to provide such an incentive and end up being a little less fun overall. So you've convinced me it's a bad idea. Still though, the main question is whether the rounds will be announced with the selector or not?

As a side note, I can't tell you how much I love the thought you've put into these tourneys; it really shows in how balanced they have been and how they are fun for all of us, regardless if we're the top players or not.

dunbar
1053 Ratings

Post by dunbar »

How about bonus round puzzles?

I both loved and sucked at the bonus rounds this year.

But given this thing wouldn't kick off for 4 or so months, it would be cool if a few creative minds (or hell let's do 11 bonus rounds :twisted: ) could come up with some twists to get the film buff juices flowing. Or something like that, but less weird sounding.

philamental
1717 Ratings

Post by philamental »

mattorama12 wrote:As a side note, I can't tell you how much I love the thought you've put into these tourneys; it really shows in how balanced they have been and how they are fun for all of us, regardless if we're the top players or not.

Honestly I really appreciate the kind words. I'm not going to lie and say it isn't rewarding to me when you guys offer praise like that, and of course it gives me encouragement to keep doing the things I'm doing. It's also great that you think there is fun for players of all abilities and the tournaments have not just focused on the competitive players.

As for the question as to whether the rounds will be announced I think it would be worthwhile sharing my current thinking on how I think the summer game will loosely work ...

For the rest of the month we'll let the discussion continue so feel free to make suggestions and we can include them if they are agreeable to all. In March I'll look to lock down a date for the tournament as well as the general format and rules. I'll confirm the rough outline to you all so you know what you need to prepare for, and then you have March, April and May to come back to me with your image selections. When I get the submissions I'll look through them and do my best to look for a good way to order them, such as splitting up selections that are too similar in genre or era, as well as spreading out difficulty if that is possible. Once I have an order, I'll message everyone telling them what number round they have been assigned and the approximate date this will be in play. I want to try and ensure everybody gets to see their own round in play so if there are potential clashes in their personal life this will give me an opportunity to move things around. I will also ask at this point if they want their round to be anonymous or public. My take is that some may enjoy playing a round publicly saying "this is my challenge and I want everyone to know it so I can enjoy teasing you all in the discussion thread!", whereas others may think their identity offers a clue to the solution and may enjoy seeing if people can work out who it is by. There would be no points for guessing correctly some may get a kick out of playing their round that way. It would be my intent to then reveal the submitter immediately when the round ends.

dunbar wrote:How about bonus round puzzles?

I both loved and sucked at the bonus rounds this year.

But given this thing wouldn't kick off for 4 or so months, it would be cool if a few creative minds (or hell let's do 11 bonus rounds :twisted: ) could come up with some twists to get the film buff juices flowing. Or something like that, but less weird sounding.

Honestly I really like the sound of this but I'm currently unsure how well it could be implemented. If *everyone* who is submitting a standard round also agreed to do a bonus round (ie 11 bonus round like you suggested), then I believe we could get it to work. Essentially we'd just tack them on to the end of each individual round. However it's not fair to assume everyone would want to do that, and I wouldn't want to pressure anybody into something they didn't originally agree to. (As an aside, I remember a big discussion on the image game thread about whether abstract clues were allowed. We all eventually agreed they were, but then hardly anybody played them!) If we then had a mix of some people interested and others who weren't, we'd be back into the issue of whether there is an advantage to players who aren't submitting bonus rounds over those who do. At the same time I do think it is an awesome idea to have you guys being creative with the bonus rounds so if we can agree upon something which is fair to all, I'm all for it!

JSchlansky
4287 Ratings

Post by JSchlansky »

For the record, I am down with prepping a bonus round

philamental
1717 Ratings

Post by philamental »

I've had a think about the bonus rounds and this is what I suggest.

Any bonus rounds presented in the summer tournament will come from you guys. At the moment dunbar and brickwall have expressed intent to submit a bonus round and if they are the only ones who do, then we will have two bonus rounds in the tournament. If more players submit bonus rounds, then we'll include those too but it is entirely optional whether a player wants to submit a bonus round or not. One point will be awarded for a correct answer in a bonus round. The bonus round submitter will automatically score the full bonus point available for their round.

I think this is the easiest/fairest way to include the bonus rounds. If people want to create them, they can and they know they aren't at a scoring disadvantage by doing so. It may serve as an incentive to some who are on the fence about submitting a bonus round, but anyone who doesn't want to doesn't have to.

Sound ok to everyone?

MacSwell
2706 Ratings

Post by MacSwell »

Sure, I'm up for getting creative