How is it better to watch movies at home?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
Daghan
2 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: How is it better to watch movies at home?

Post by Daghan »

BadCosmonaut wrote:Another option hopefully available within the next few years is a virtual reality theater using VR goggles. I want to lay on my bed looking up at the ceiling in a pitch black room and see a giant movie theater size screen above me.

There are VR apps now that can do this, but the technology isn't good enough yet to make it look right. I think the screen needs to look indistinguishable from a theater screen or else I'd rather watch on a large TV. The current goggles don't have a high enough resolution, plus they have issues like the screen door effect.

But by generation two or three of the headsets, I think this will be possible.

Oh, yes, I dream so much about such goggles. Only one thing worries me a bit the influence on eyes..

Daghan
2 Ratings

Post by Daghan »

90sCoffee wrote:I roll my eyes whenever I hear VR or 3D.

Why? Can you explain, please?

I will say that one useful gimmick though is this, it's a strip of coloured LED lights that you stick on the back of the TV. The lighting reflects on to the wall but not the TV picture so it's useful for when you wanna watch a film in the dark but reduce the eye-strain especially in bright scenes

Oh, I haven't known about this trick. Don't your eyes hurt with this LED lights?

Daghan
2 Ratings

Post by Daghan »

PrestoBix wrote:There's also other factors, like being able to pause the film to use the restroom, not having people talking, and also for certain films, I feel I can gain more of an emotional connection if I watch it at home, by myself -- although I've done a comparison with the same movie I can think of.

Yes, that's why I prefer watching movies at home. But, though, I like huge screens. It is possible for me then to sink into the movie fully

90sCoffee
2242 Ratings

Post by 90sCoffee »

Daghan wrote:
90sCoffee wrote:Oh, I haven't known about this trick. Don't your eyes hurt with this LED lights?

No bias lighting is to reduce eye-strain.

https://www.howtogeek.com/213464/how-to ... -lighting/

edkrak
3745 Ratings

Post by edkrak »

Daghan wrote:
mattorama12 wrote:Projectors are great for large displays if you have the space, but they are expensive, as you need both the projector and a screen. You can use just a flat white wall, but then the quality is going to suffer and you're better off with just a large tv.

If honest, I haven't thought about the display fro the projector :? I was sure that the white wall will be enough. It seemed to me the quality had to be the same.

Hm expensive? I'd say that a projector is the cheapest possible option for a big screen. I bought mine few years ago and paid around $700 (BenQ W1070 - I don't know what is the most cost effective model these days). Of course good TV has better contrast and blacker blacks, but size really matters. How much would you have to pay for a 110' TV? And that's easily achievable with projector, actually only thing that limits size of my screen currently is the size of my walls / room arrangement.
I actually screen it on a white wall and I'm quite happy with the result. Although first weeks were not that great - new lamp is quite strong and scenes with lot of white are way too bright and contrast sucks during them. But if you're on tight budget you can still turn projector to eco mode and turn down brightness. After few weeks of regular use lamp will become less bright and you can easily watch in on a wall with normal settings.
But honestly it was probably the best ~$700 I've ever spent. For me the result is so good I barely go to cinema these days.

90sCoffee
2242 Ratings

Post by 90sCoffee »

The contrast at every theatre I go to nowadays is generally bad. It's slightly better in IMAX but still looks like quite a dull image. Knowing that projectors, especially cheap ones have this same issue, it gives me 0 desire to do that.

I honestly feel like I get a better clearer and far more vivid picture quality on a cheap 24" to 27" IPS monitor at home.