Image Game Tournament 2018 - MAIN THREAD - DO NOT POST HERE

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
philamental
1717 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Image Game Tournament 2018 - MAIN THREAD - DO NOT POST HERE

Post by philamental »

Just the two additional correct answers for the second image but when added to the strong first image score it means that the Public are primed to take the round and the overall lead over Harvey and his lawyers with only one more Round remaining! :o

Round 14 Image 3

philamental
1717 Ratings

Post by philamental »

And there it is .... four more correct answers for the third image and Harvey is now sweating bullets! ;)

Round 14 Image 4

philamental
1717 Ratings

Post by philamental »

just one correct answer for the final image of the round (more on the implications of that later). The answer was of course ... Almost Famous (2000), although I used the 'Untitled' Directors Cut so anyone who didn't get it can always say I used frames they had never seen ;)

4 pts - maaxwell, brickwall, cet1412, snallygaster, auhasarderik, dunbar
3 pts - fra paolo, paulofilmo
2 pts - Dreamer, 3dRevelation, mattorama12, CosmicMonkey
1 pt - bowfinger

While I won't go into specific detail on the current leaderboard positions it's still incredibly tight in a number of key areas, most notably the battles for the top spot itself and a place in the top 10. With one final round to go almost every player still has something to play for, so good luck! :)

And so to Harvey .... after 6 straight rounds of tied scoring, the deadlock has finally been broken! Public takes the round 3-1 although it was so close to a sweep but only one player scored for the final image. A 4-0 score would have led to an unassailable lead ahead of the final round, but as things stand Harvey has a glimmer of a chance.

*a phone rings*

Hang on guys, I just need to take this ...

Voice: Hello am I speaking to Mr. Philamental?

Phil: Yes, who is this?

Voice: Mr. Philamental, my name is John Milton and I'm representing Mr Weinstein and I have a matter I need to urgently discuss with you.

Phil: Hmmm ... well I'm kinda right in the middle of something right now, but go on ...

Voice: Mr. Philamental, my client has been monitoring the progress of your tournament and is deeply concerned that the now expected outcome of the secondary scoring system could lead to him being forced into a life of seclusion in one of his many gold filled mansions, based on the obviously legally binding result of a childish internet guessing game.

Phil: ... go on ...

Voice: Well, may I ask what the final movie of the tournament will be?

Phil: I ... er ... I kinda have some people here with me and I can't really talk about it, but ... *whispers* 'The Matrix' ...

Voice: Ah you see this is why my client is concerned. The Matrix is the most heavily ranked movie of all time on Criticker with over 27,000 rankings. Quite simply, Mr. Philamental, even Frank Slade would be able to identify The Matrix in the final round and thus the outcome of the tournament is stacked unfairly against my client, would you not agree?

Phil: I see your point, but what do you want me to do about it?

Voice: Well if I may suggest an alternative selection, how about you play L'assassino del corriere di Lione (1916)?

*Phil searches the suggestion*

Phil: Ah come on now! There one single ranking for this movie! No one has probably heard of it let alone seen it. If I played this in the final round there wouldn't be a single correct answer.

Voice: *coughs* ... and would that be such a bad thing?

Phil: Anyway there are rules against this. I have to play movies with at least 500 ratings so that Italian one doesn't qualify.

Voice: Well how about a movie that has over 500 ratings that none of the players have seen?

Phil: I don't know .... it feels kinda wrong ...

Voice: Mr Philamental, you are fine man of undoubtable integrity and all we are asking is for you to finish your tournament by suitably challenging your players. And if it helps to sway your decision, I have been authorized by my client Mr Weinstein to provide you with 5 million ... 'reasons' ... to make this round tougher.

Phil: 5 million reasons?! Jesus, I don't have the time or energy to listen to you waffle on and on for hours about why I should do this. Alright, you win I'll try to make it tougher .... hmmmm ... how about this one .... over 1000 ratings on criticker but not a single player in the tournament has ranked it .... oh wait, one has but he hated it so he probably won't remember it.

Voice: That sounds perfect, Mr Philamental. And are you sure you would not like to reconsider the 5 million ... 'reasons'? ... Most people find them to be luxuriously persuasive ... Mr Weinstein is a wealthy man and can afford to provide you with 5 million ... 'reasons' .... if it would put you in a better place ... like a penthouse ... if you catch my meaning?

Phil: Wait a minute ... Harvey Weinstein? A Penthouse? ... oh I get it now ... you're saying .... Harvey wants to have sex with me! ... er ... well yeah look I'm flattered to be proposition by a renowned sexual deviant ... I mean successful rapist .... I mean successful businessman ... er ... but you know I think I'll pass on that if you don't mind and seeing as you got what you wanted I'm going to go now.

Voice: Very well, Mr. Philamental .... Serpico

Phil: ... er what?

Voice: Serpico. As part of my employment contract I'm legally obligated to mention the name of an Al Pacino character every few minutes.

*phil thinks back over the conversation*

Phil: Oh yeah, that makes sense. Ok bye then! *phil hangs up*

Sorry gang, where were we?

Oh yeah, so there's just one more round to go now and you know what, I've decided it should be a real challenge. I won't give you any more detail or clue than that, but let's just say none of you have seen this one ... wait no, that's too specific ... forget I said that. Just play the round, ok? Good luck!

Round 15 Image 1

philamental
1717 Ratings

Post by philamental »

Somewhat predictably there were no correct answers for the first image so it's first blood to Harvey. At the same time there were two incorrect guesses which shows me some players are willing to go for broke in the final round which is something I like! :)

Round 15 Image 2

philamental
1717 Ratings

Post by philamental »

Now things are getting really tense! :twisted:

Absolutely nothing for the second image .... so Harvey draws level with only two images still to play! It's starting to look like he might actually pull it off ... or more likely force some poor young actress to do it for him .... ;)

Round 15 Image 3

philamental
1717 Ratings

Post by philamental »

So there may be a bit of clue dropping going on in the discussion thread in case you missed it ;)

There were 4 correct answers for the third image and this is how they came across the line ..

The first, wasn't even playing in this tournament but got so frustrated at seeing nobody able to get the answer to this round decided to join in right at the death to show you all how it is done! :lol:

The second admitted to benefitting from the massive assist provided to them by CosmicMonkey in the discussion thread

The third took advantage of my hubris when I posted something in the discussion thread I didn't intend to (since deleted!!!)

The fourth was all professional and didn't give any indication as to how they got the answer, almost as if they had their eyes solely on some kind of prize! ;)

And so we reach the final image of the final round of this year's tournament! Go on, have a go! At this stage, what does it matter! :D

Round 15 Image 4

philamental
1717 Ratings

Post by philamental »

And that's it! ... the chaos that was Round 15 concludes and with it comes the end of Tournament 2018! The answer for those who didn't have the time to do the detective work of sifting through all the clues in the discussion thread was ... Last Man Standing (1996)

4 pts -
3 pts -
2 pts - rklenseth, maaxwell, 3dRevelation, cet1412
1 pt - bowfinger, mattorama12

As previously alluded to, rklenseth wasn't even participating in this tournament but having seen how abysmal the scoring was by image 3 decided to put me out of my misery and provide the correct answer even before the clue dropping shenanigans began. Fair play to you, rk , although equally in fairness to the rest of you rklenseth has seen this movie when the rest of you clearly had not. With the final round scores tallied, I can now present ...

Image Game Tournament 2018 Final Leaderboard

1st - cet1412 38
2nd - snallygaster 37
3rd - auhasarderik 30

4th - Maaxwell 27
5th - cosmicmonkey 26
6th - paulofilmo 21
7th - Brickwall 20
8th - bowfinger 15
9th - mattorama12 14
10th - igormachete 13

11th= - fra paolo 12
11th= - 3dRevelation 12
11th= - dunbar 12
14th - CMonster 9
15th - Dreamer 8
16th - Victoriouz 5
17th - detox 4
18th - rklenseth 2

So right at the death we had a dramatic change in the overall top spot. cet1412 scores 2 points in the final round to turn a one point deficit into a one point lead and in doing so becomes the overall champion of Tournament 2018! Congratulations to you, cet1412! Silver medal last year and the Gold this time around. The last 12 months of hard training have paid off! ;)

Commiserations to last year's champ, Snallygaster who led most of the way again this time around before getting pipped at the post. Your performance this year brought the very best out of cet1412, no doubt. I'm am genuinely in awe of both of you and how good you are at this game. For two years in a row you both have excelled with your high scoring which dismisses any possibility that there was luck involved or that the images 'just happened to suit you'. Well done on your impressive 2nd place, fella :)

auhasarderik claims the bronze this year! Just unable to keep pace with the dynamic duo, your scoring was impressively consistent and you were comfortably best of the rest and your podium place is well deserved! :)

As for the rest of the pack, maaxwell rallied late to sneak into the purgatory that is 4th spot. To paraphrase his own recent self assessment 'he wasn't really shit, but he wasn't really all that great either ... like Tottenham!' ;) CosmicMonkey proved to be the king of assists in the tournament but as no points are awarded for helping others he finishes in 5th. paulofilmo, brickwall and bowfinger settled into 6th, 7th and 8th respectively and mattorama12 finished well after realizing he was finding it easier to score points on movies he hadn't seen over the ones he had! igormachete claimed the final spot in the top 10 by squeaking a single point clear of Fra Paolo, 3dRevelation and dunbar who finish 11th. CMonster, Dreamer, Victoriouz, detox and late arrival rklenseth complete the leaderboard for this year, and I genuinely congratulate all of you on the points you scored as these rounds are truly tough!

Just a quick comment in case anyone thinks it is unfortunate or even unfair that the impact on the final positions were decided by what was effectively a detective work round. As far as I'm concerned, detective work has always been a regularly accepted part of the standard image game and is clearly stated as acceptable in the rules of the tournament so I'm happy with the conclusion of the scoring.

And so to Harvey ...

He pulled level after two images of Round 15, but with the nudge of the clue dropping malarkey the public managed to do just barely enough to tie the round 2-2. Kudos to bowfinger and mattorama12 for making up the bare minimum requirement to take the point for the final image which resulted in the final overall score to finish at Lawyers 29 - Public 31! As set originally set out, this majority of Public Accusations has now overwhelmed Harvey's Lawyers who simply cannot obtain enough court injuctions to try and protect their client's good name. You have all contributed to this situation which is clearly legal and binding and results in the entertainment industry forever shunning Mr Weinstein and forcing him into the life of a recluse ... in his mansion ... with all his millions of dollars ... :? ... anyhoo, congratulations to all players as so often every point scored for each image mattered, and you saw how close it was in the end, so well done to all! :D

Pop over to the discussion thread if you like as I'll be giving some further thoughts over there soon and I'll also be presenting some stats from the tournament at some stage and looking for some feedback and opinions that may help me to improve things a little in any future tournament. But for now this thread is done ... so that's it ...