The Top 20 Films of 2017 (#11-20)

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
mpowell
1201 Ratings
Your TCI: na

The Top 20 Films of 2017 (#11-20)

Post by mpowell »

2017 was an interesting year in film. The first half of Criticker's Top 20 is all over the map, from Swedish absurdity to American politics, with horror, comedy and animation all making appearances. We were surprised by some of the films which made the cut. How many have you seen?

20. Brawl in Cell Block 99 - 6.8519 Average Tier

"This was a perfect blend of drama and 70's action exploitation. Vaughn has the silver tongue of his Swingers character, but with a southern drawl and a 'not-giving-a-fuck' attitude and it's presto chango! Also: I loved the car punching scene." - JaiGuy

19. Mudbound - 6.8646 Average Tier

"A uneven mix of really good and boring stretches. Some powerful performances contrasts sharply with the slog through the first half. Carey Mulligan and Garrett Hedlund were charismatic. Jason Mitchell was also a stand out. All of the supporting cast was outstanding. There was plenty of hardship and the heinous racist violence was painful to watch, but amist the destitution there are superb stories of human struggle that sticks with you." - eCitizen

18. The Big Sick - 6.8726 Average Tier

"I found a lot to love about this movie on a personal level. I totally get the relationship between Kumail and his parents. I totally get what’s going on between him and his true love, and I totally get everything going on with her parents, and the relationship they share with Kumail and their daughter as well. The acting is great all around and the story delivers good insights on sickness, culture, family, and of course, love in general. I even found myself laughing quite a bit." - Leonardis

17. Dunkirk - 6.9271 Average Tier

"I think Christopher Nolan has finally answered that long lingering question: What if 'Saving Private Ryan' were a good movie?" - DavidBlast

16. Logan - 6.9498 Average Tier

"The hard R made me prematurely pop my claws. Logan is a surprisingly grim, bloody and melancholy ride into the sunset that proves these type of movies could, no, should be better. The uneven comic book movie shenanigans of the past are discarded and we're finally getting a story and characters worth being invested in; ornery Xavier was fantastic and Huge Jackedman sells every wince and groan. I wiped away a tear at the end and accidentally sliced off half my face. Worth it though." - Barthalen

15. Ethel & Ernest - 6.9500 Average Tier

"An earnest animation following the life of a unspectacular married couple from their days of courting to the year they both died.... a tribute from their son. From the heart at least." - PUNQ

14. Good Time - 6.9791 Average Tier

"A twisted electronic dream set in the neon streets of New York City. It's a story of dysfunction and desperation that is, in its own way, propelled by love. The music is beautiful, the cinematography all its own, and the performances are so good you can't tell the professionals from the non-actors. The Safdies do it again." - Actionberg

13. Get Me Roger Stone - 6.9831 Average Tier

"Stone's ownership of his total scumbaggery is probably the thing that really makes this documentary. Stone doesn't try to spin his tactics or tricks, but openly admits that the ends justify the means for him. Depending on your political leanings, his ends may be even more disturbing than the means." - mattorama

12. The Square - 7.0748 Average Tier

"Favorite movie of the year thus far. It's like Holy Motors done by Haneke. If I could put it into one word, it's - scathing. A satire on all fronts, depicting its protagonist with a thousand shades of hypocrisy - contradictions he's aware of, and others he never will be. This has at least four scenes that would make a top ten of the year. A fascinating experience that winds its way from hilarity, painful awkwardness, through stretches of social terror, and back to explosive hilarity. Great film." - sellis

11. Get Out - 7.0820 Average Tier

"Horror is a surprising vehicle for empathy. Few genres are able to so deftly enter the perspective of a character and pry out internal fears, subjective realities, and inner demons. What works so brutally well here is the way Peele slowly, eerily, gives passive racial/racist assumptions and cliches an uncanny physicality. For the runtime, I was seeing the world through Chris' eyes. And given the plot of the film, as a white person, this fact is absolutely terrifying in more ways than one." - Mentaculus

avgcrtckr
19985 Ratings

Re: The Top 20 Films of 2017 (#11-20)

Post by avgcrtckr »

mpowell, thank you and everybody on board for keeping this great site up and running. I wish all of you a great new year.
I was wondering how you calculate your end-of-the-year classifications. Do you have exclusion criteria like language, number of ratings etc. I was surprised to see some films on the list and not to see some others.
cheers

AFlickering
2994 Ratings

Post by AFlickering »

wonder if CALL ME BY YOUR NAME is gonna land at #1 like it has on RYM and letterboxd, despite being relatively unseen.

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

avgcrtckr wrote:mpowell, thank you and everybody on board for keeping this great site up and running. I wish all of you a great new year.
I was wondering how you calculate your end-of-the-year classifications. Do you have exclusion criteria like language, number of ratings etc. I was surprised to see some films on the list and not to see some others.
cheers

Thanks! Happy New Year to you (and everyone else) as well! For this list, we consider everything which is eligible for the 2017 Academy Awards, and which has at least twenty rankings.

avgcrtckr
19985 Ratings

Post by avgcrtckr »

Thanks,
Leaving the Academy, films from 2016 and those that have fewer than 50 ratings aside, may I suggest the following:
The Florida Project (2017) 82
Lady Bird (2017) 81
Blade Runner 2049 (2017) 79
Call Me by Your Name (2017) 79
Coco (2017) 79
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017) 75
Visages, villages (2017) 73
The Disaster Artist (2017) 72
Get Out (2017) 71
The Square (2017) 71
A Teströl és Lélekröl (2017) 71
İşe Yarar Bir Şey (2017) 70