Criticker (mpowell) end of year posts

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
philamental
1717 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Criticker (mpowell) end of year posts

Post by philamental »

Apologies if starting a new thread isn't appropriate here but it felt like it might be lost if posted within any of the end of year posts.

Firstly I love the best and worst of films posts. Why? There are countless top 10 etc lists at this time of year, so why do these matter? For me it's for two strong reasons.

1. This isn't an individual's opinion or even the result of a discussion from a collective. These are the results of an entire year of criticker user's scoring their movies independently of any interest in influencing an end of year countdown.

2. The lists select and highlight an appropriate mini review which are almost always worth reading.

Both of these outline two important aspects which are the lifeblood of the criticker experience. User ratings and mini reviews. And I love how the end of year posts utilise them. So I must ask the following ...

Is there a way to do more of this on the forums on a more regular basis? Maybe focus on genre? Top 10 action films? Top 10 drama? Spread them out over the course of 12 months rather than cram them all into an end of year batch.

Also, is there a way to allow for 'starring' the reviews from the post or at least quickly link to the mini review so we can star them? I read many minis for the first time reading the end of year lists and wanted to star them but there was no easy way to do so and I'm lazy so I didn't bother trying to find them. I expect I'm not alone in this respect.

My point is I know human nature, and many people would make the effort to write more mini reviews if they felt they might be recognised more publicly by being highlighted by the website, and subsequently acknowledged by other users.

So that's my angle here. Would love to see some changes made to move closer to what I'm suggesting but understand you have a small team and it may not be practical for you. Great job on the end of year lists as things stand, and thanks again for another year on this fantastic site.

mpowell
1201 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Criticker (mpowell) end of year posts

Post by mpowell »

Thanks! We really love doing these lists as well... and every time we compile them, we think to ourselves, that we need to do them on a more regular basis.

We would love to have a whole page of just Top Ten or Twenty lists, like this, which feature mini-reviews ... whether they're the most starred, or hand-chosen. And although we're really busy, I could totally see a way to automate the lists. You're right, too, that it would be a great way to highlight mini-reviews, which we currently don't do good enough a job of.

Thanks again for the kind words! We expect 2018 to be a great year!