The Players Championship 2018 - Discussion Thread - DO NOT POST GUESSES HERE

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
philamental
1717 Ratings
Your TCI: na

The Players Championship 2018 - Discussion Thread - DO NOT POST GUESSES HERE

Post by philamental »

Ok, surely everybody is aware of the image games that are played on this forum by now? You know, the 'guess the movie from the image' thread that has over 9k responses, and the two month long tournaments held in January the past two years? Well this is another variation so if they aren't your thing feel free to stop reading right here, but if movie image related puzzlement gets your juices flowing please step this way, Sir or madam! ... ;)

Right, this is effectively another Image Game Tournament but we are calling it The Players Championship. While previous Tournaments have been put together entirely by a single fantastic individual .... me 8-) .... this time around all the image content of the competition is being submitted by the forum members who regularly play the image games, ie The Players, which means it effectively belongs to them and why we've given it 'The Players Championship' moniker. As someone still needs to run the thing, I'm stepping up to the plate again as your Master of Ceremonies but this time around don't look at me if it's not any fun ;) Anyway, here's what you need to know.

TPC will commence on Saturday 26th of May. It will follow the same format as previous tournaments, the full rules of the last one can be read here if you want a more detailed explanation ...
https://www.criticker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6915 ... but in short it goes like this ... four images will be posted individually at 12 hr intervals and you must guess which movie they are from. The earlier you guess correctly the more points are scored. After the four images have been posted, the answer is revealed and we continue with another round of four images. Leaderboards are kept to track the score of each player and a winner is crowned at the end of the competition. There are a few bonus rounds scattered the place to mix things up but that's basically it.

Participation

Participation in TPC is open to everyone on the forums. It's fair to say it's usually the same hardcore players who join in each game, but if you have been playing privately in the past and want to join in publicly this time around or are new to the forums and want to dive straight in, we'd be delighted to have you join us. To participate you don't need to do anything other than turn up on the 25th and follow the rules which will be posted in the main competition thread.

Content

The following players will be submitting the content for TPC.

Full Round Players = 11 (Bowfinger, CosmicMonkey, brickwall, Victoriouz, mattorama12, dunbar, maaxwell, paulofilmo, cet1412, snallygaster and CMonster)

Bonus Round Players = 6 (dunbar, brickwall, maaxwell, bowfinger, mattorama12, snallygaster)

As it stands, this will produce a 25 day long competition. However there is still opportunity and time for additional rounds to be added. Submitting a round is NOT required in order to participate in TPC, but if anyone other than the above names wants to add their own round to the competition here are the steps you will need to take ...

1. Identify a movie that has a minimum of 500 rankings on criticker
2. Obtain 4 screengrabs from the movie that offer a fair challenge to other players
3. Check to see if they are searchable on the internet. Easiest way is to do this is host them online, open them in chrome, right click, 'Search Google for Image'. If any of the first few results allow identification of the movie, the image cannot be used in TPC and another will need to be selected. (This step is usually the most frustrating and time consuming part of the process)
4. Send a DM to me with links to the four images.

Assuming I can verify the criteria for inclusion above, that's it. If you are feeling really frisky you might also want to submit a bonus round. I won't outline what is involved here but if you're interested please Direct Message me or ask about doing so in this thread. Deadlines for submitting content for TPC are as follows

Friday 18th of May - Intent to submit must be given to me via DM or by posting in this thread.

Friday 25th of May - All content for TPC must be submitted.

This thread will be converted into a discussion thread for TPC when the competition starts, but can be used for any questions about participating or submitting rounds in the meantime. :)
Last edited by philamental on Sat May 26, 2018 8:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

philamental
1717 Ratings

Re: Introducing The Players Championship - An Image Game Competition

Post by philamental »

Just posting a public record of where I am in terms of received content so I don't lose track and you all can correct me if I've made a mistake.

Received and Ready to Play
Bowfinger - Round and Bonus
Snallygaster - Round and Bonus
brickwall - Round and Bonus
dunbar - Round and Bonus
mattorama12 - Round and Bonus
cet1412 - Round
paulofilmo - Round
CosmicMonkey - Round
Cmonster - Round
victorious - Round
Maaxwell - Round and Bonus

Yet to Receive

I've been lazy about managing the received images to this point so I may have overlooked something that I have received. let me know if that's the case. If your name is under 'Yet to Receive' there is still plenty of time, so don't consider this as me putting you under pressure. That'll come in a few weeks time :twisted:
Last edited by philamental on Wed May 23, 2018 7:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

philamental
1717 Ratings

Post by philamental »

Just a brief update as we reach the last couple of weeks before TPC starts. The majority of the images have now been received and thanks to all of you who have submitted content, especially those who had the patience to seek out more images when I informed you that some of the ones you sent were searchable. We have two stragglers who have yet to submit their rounds but I'm expecting they are just drama queens trying to be fashionably late and I'll get those soon ;)

I had a presentational theme in mind for TPC but I'm not sure if I'll have time to make it work as I've not had as much time in recent weeks as I thought I would but even if presentation is lacking the competition itself is shaping up to be a good one. I'm almost certainly going to provide another update before things start, but on the off chance I don't get a chance, I'll see you all on the 26th! :)

philamental
1717 Ratings

Post by philamental »

Ok we now officially have a full house with everybody having submitted their content. The Competition will consist of 11 standard 4 image rounds, and 6 infamous Bonus Rounds. A reminder that we kick things off this coming Saturday May 26th at 10am (British & Irish Summer Time), 5am EST and 2am PST (please work out your own time zone if not listed here.

See you all then! :D

philamental
1717 Ratings

Re: The Players Championship 2018 - Discussion Thread - DO NOT POST GUESSES HERE

Post by philamental »

TPC is live and up and running! :D

A few things just for info.

I've been really busy at work and at home the past month and had to rush that opening post this morning to meet the deadline so apologies if there are inaccuracies, errors or omissions. I can edit with corrections if someone points it out here. I also wanted to put a bit more time into the Civil War presentational aspect than I did. It still works but would have liked to see if I could have done a little more with it with more time.

My lack of time is likely to continue for the majority of the competition so there is a higher than normal risk that I might have to post an image a little early or late, but I'll be doing what I can to avoid that.

I'm also going on holiday right at the end of the competition and will be changing timezone which ironically might make it harder for me to post on time but I think it'll be ok. I'll keep you guys informed as to how that goes.

CosmicMonkey
1270 Ratings

Re: The Players Championship 2018 - Discussion Thread - DO NOT POST GUESSES HERE

Post by CosmicMonkey »

WE ARE, WE ARE TEAM SNALLYGASTER!
WE WILL GUESS THE SCREENSHOTS FASTER!

CosmicMonkey
1270 Ratings

Post by CosmicMonkey »

WE DON'T NEED NO HINTS OR CLUES!
'CAUSE WE KNOW WHICH TEAM IS "CET" TO LOSE!

CosmicMonkey
1270 Ratings

Post by CosmicMonkey »

1, 2, 3, 4!
TIME FOR A CIVIL WAR!
5, 6, 7, 8!
COME, TEAM SNALLY, LET'S BE GREAT!

(...someone help, I can't stop myself. I'm sorry this stupid joke was taken so far.)

snallygaster
1646 Ratings

Post by snallygaster »

Wow, team captain! Thanks for the hype, CM!

I assume that although we've been divided into teams, it's still an individual game, right? (ie we're not supposed to be working together). Anyway, off to look at that image...

bowfinger
2839 Ratings

Post by bowfinger »

CosmicMonkey wrote:1, 2, 3, 4!
TIME FOR A CIVIL WAR!
5, 6, 7, 8!
COME, TEAM SNALLY, LET'S BE GREAT!

(...someone help, I can't stop myself. I'm sorry this stupid joke was taken so far.)

haha lol, man, I loved your enthusiasm, "cet to lose" was a good one... for a "smelly gasser" I mean!