The Players Championship 2018 (Image Game) - MAIN THREAD - DO NOT POST HERE

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
philamental
1717 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: The Players Championship 2018 (Image Game) - MAIN THREAD - DO NOT POST HERE

Post by philamental »

Four correct answers close out the round. There isn't a bonus round this time so I can reveal both the answer and the submitting player as …

Goodfellas (1990) … submitted by CMonster :)

4 pts - Victoriouz
3 pts - maaxwell, cet1412
2 pts -
1 pt - Kasper L, mattorama12, brickwall, bowfinger

Round average gives CMonster 2 pts,

I don't have access to my spreadsheet but I believe the Civil War is currently Team CET 9 - Team SNALLY 9

Round 3 Image 1

philamental
1717 Ratings

Post by philamental »

One correct answer and one incorrect guess for the first image …

Round 3 Image 2

philamental
1717 Ratings

Post by philamental »

One more correct answer and one incorrect guess there … lets keep it moving with

Round 3 Image 3

philamental
1717 Ratings

Post by philamental »

Two more correct answers there, so on to the final image of the round …

Round 3 Image 4

philamental
1717 Ratings

Post by philamental »

One correct answer and one incorrect guess for the final image

The answer was Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998)

4 pts - maaxwell
3 pts - bowfinger
2 pts - brickwall, snallygaster
1 pt - paulofilmo

The Round Average was 2.4 so the submitting player gets 2 pts though their identity remains a secret as their bonus round is coming up.

Civil War score is now Team CET 18 - Team SNALLY 13 and a reminder that the first weekly leaderboard update will go up tomorrow morning.

Bonus Round 2

philamental
1717 Ratings

Post by philamental »

Well motherfucker! Spent best part of an hour prepping the post, finished it, hit 'submit' and the site had crashed and so I lost it all and have to start again. :evil: No apologies on my part for being late. The next image window is unfortunately shortened by 90 mins ...

.... anyway ....

So the answer to the bonus round was of course ...

Strangers on a Train (1951)

This bonus round and the previous round were submitted by ... dunbar!

He sent me the following explanation in his own words for the bonus round ...

"Thanks to philamental for putting this on (again) and for all his patient help and support with my image gathering shenanigans. I ended up delivering what I think is a pretty straightforward bonus, but I hope everyone enjoyed it nonetheless. Good luck all!"

eh? .... :? :?: :? ... that's the explanation for Strangers on a Train? I thought it was two unknown individuals (could be considered strangers) literally being presented on top of a train. So I was WAAAAY off!!

The following players all scored a point for the Bonus Round

brickwall, maaxwell, snallygaster, cmonster, mattorama12, victoriouz, cosmicmonkey, and of course dunbar.

There were two incorrect guesses, one from a player who I feel really sorry for as they presented a really solid argument for Murder on the Orient Express that was probably far more interesting than the real answer.

And so to the first leaderboard ...

The Players Championship - Week One Leaderboard

1st Maaxwell 9
2nd bowfinger 6
3rd Victoriouz 5
4th= Brickwall 4
4th= CMonster 4
6th= cet1412 3
6th= snallygaster 3
6th= dunbar 3
9th= mattorama12 2
9th= kasper l 2
9th= akilnayak 2
12th= cosmicmonkey 1
12th= paulofilmo 1

Maaxwell sprints to the top of the pile after the first week with the impressive feat of scoring points in 4 of the 5 rounds so far. His Civil War team mate, bowfinger is chasing him down with an excellent return of 6 points, and Victoriouz is proving his doubters (I'm looking at you, dunbar!) wrong with 5 pts in third place. The two team captains, cet1412 and snallygaster are cautiously engaged in a tactical cat and mouse game in mid table with each watching the other for weaknesses and waiting for the right time to strike .... or it could be that they have just both been mediocre by their own high standards so far? ... nah let's stick with the tactical strategy, it sounds better ;) Good to see Kasper L and akilnayak stuck in the mix in week one. Can they continue to battle for position with the Image game veterans in week two? We're about to find out!

Civil War scoring is currently Team CET 22 - Team SNALLY 19. TC has led from the very start but the lead is small, and with the majority of remaining rounds being presented by TS players, they will have the advantage of the guaranteed points that go to the submitting player each time. Because of this I see Team SNALLY as slight favourites at this early stage, but if the form of Maax and bowfinger continues they may be able to keep Team CET on top!

I actually was unsure at how balanced the teams were going to be and thought I might have to 'use the force' so to speak to keep it interesting, but you guys are keeping the Civil War scoring naturally competitive and interesting so well done to all :)

Right, on we go with the next round, with a very important NB ...

As of this moment in time, it does not seem possible for me to reply or write messages on the cricketer messaging system. I presume it is related to the site crash this morning and may be resolved soon but if this is affecting other players they will not be able to submit guesses. If this continues for a notable length of time I will extend this image window into the next to ensure fair play to all players who may have been affected. Let me know in the discussion thread if you're having any problems.

The next round is presented by paulofilmo

Round 4 Image 1

philamental
1717 Ratings

Post by philamental »

Ok, I posted earlier that I was extending the first image to a second window because i was unable to send messages and I thought it was likely affecting others as well. As it turns out it was a bug on the site and mpowell fixed it but it only seems to have affected me as I've been receiving messages from others the whole time. I've discussed the situation with paulofilmo and we have agreed to continue the competition as normal at 10pm BST.

Apologies to anyone caught up in the shenanigans and for any confusion caused. I've also decided to award paulofilmo a bonus point for being a good sport with all this stuff happening in his round (my house, my rules 8-) )

philamental
1717 Ratings

Post by philamental »

One incorrect guess for the first image (if anybody had trouble submitting their guess earlier, message me to discuss)

Round 4 Image 2

philamental
1717 Ratings

Post by philamental »

And one more incorrect guess for the second image ...

Round 4 Image 3

philamental
1717 Ratings

Post by philamental »

Two correct answers for the third image!

Round 4 Image 4