The rock/paper/scissors paradox: ranking A>B and B>C but C>A ?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
livelove
67 Ratings
Your TCI: na

The rock/paper/scissors paradox: ranking A>B and B>C but C>A ?

Post by livelove »

I struggle with an issue and am curious if you ever experienced it, too:

In recent days, I voted as follows:
Celda 211: 85
Gravity: 80
Solo: 75

And yet, somehow I like Solo more than Celda 211.
Does that ever happen to you?
I mean, that you score films individually but then sometimes it's hard to compare them against each other or sometimes lower ranked films fare better in a direct comparison against better ranked films ?

Some of you might know this issue from sports. In tennis for example, Federer might do better against Djokovic,
and Djokovic might have the upper hand against Nadal, yet Nadal keeps winning against Federer ...

I often struggle with how to accurately score movies. This topic is part of a series dealing with voting-related problems, challenges, phenomenons and paradoxes — all as part of a quest whose end-goal is to correctly reflect my appreciation of movies when rating them:

Last edited by livelove on Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:04 am, edited 10 times in total.

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Re: voting: A>B and B>C but C>A ?

Post by paulofilmo »

livelove wrote:(and also would prefer to rewatch it in a cinema if given the choice between these 3 films).

i prolly wldnt change the score until the rewatch

but yes, the thing happens. it;s not a struggle though. somewhere between my dog licking my mouth, and being aware of earwax without the proper tools

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

@paulofilmo:
thanks for your reply. Just FYI: I removed the quoted part of my posting, because it is slightly besides the point.
I didn't catch your drift about dogs and earwax. Does that mean, it's slightly annoying but not a big deal ?

To me it's unnerving when I don't find the right score. Sometimes I spend quite some time thinking about how to score a film and when I'm finally settled and feel good about how I scored the latest 3 films for example, it's quite frustrating when the scores contradict each other, although each one feels right individually ... :/
Last edited by livelove on Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ribcage
4173 Ratings

Post by ribcage »

I stopped looking at my full rankings because of this.

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

ribcage wrote:I stopped looking at my full rankings because of this.

I feel you.

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

i can't really relate to this burden. but i hope you find peace

ty for showing me celda 211 - it's a film that my kumps like more than my top tcis. j'ai piqued

Does that mean, it's slightly annoying but not a big deal ?

you've got it!

hellboy76
6339 Ratings

Post by hellboy76 »

A year or so ago, I went back to my All Rankings and attempted to sort it out. That was a mistake.

spacefloh
2565 Ratings

Post by spacefloh »

Happens. In my experience.

I would assume that this might depend on the situation one is watching the specific movie (and personal time,...). As someone grows experience (even from movie to movie), opinions can change. So i think that not changing the rating is a valid option, because it's correct at the time you give it.

Also i want to mention, as you probably assume, that movies are watched from differnt angles. Is it cool, spectacular, overwelming, is it rewatchable, is it a "classic one" for you? All that matter - probably also depending from one own's situation.

However, my solution was to build a "raster" of referenceable, prototype-movies that I will remember for a long time. And rate new ones based on that raster. Thus, the feeling of rating correctly (within slight errors) will stay within that raster.

Enjoy watching.
spacefloh
Last edited by spacefloh on Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zevel6
4227 Ratings

Post by zevel6 »

It happens.
A big part of it is the basis in which you rate - are you rating based on quality or based on what you prefer? Sometimes it's not easy to seperate the two.

CMonster
1444 Ratings

Post by CMonster »

An option might be less grainularity in your rankings (i.e. if they are all still "good" then maybe they just all sit at 80 so it doesn't matter.)

I'm actually considering switching my rankings to a pure binary system where anything not named Iron Fist gets a single point and anything named Iron Fist gets 0 points.