The rock/paper/scissors paradox: ranking A>B and B>C but C>A ?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
livelove
67 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: voting: A>B and B>C but C>A ?

Post by livelove »

Luna6ix wrote:I'd need to rerank a couple thousand films and most of them, I'd have a poor assessment of now.
Yes, same problem here. I'd have to rerank many films and it's difficult to compare a movie you have just seen with one long ago.

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

@spacefloh:
Ok, I read your posting a couple of times and begin to understand it.
But this part still escapes me somewhat:

spacefloh wrote:Nevertheless I accepted that based on the bucket granularity there might be an interference of 10 rating points (meaning: on an evenly distributed moviebase a 5 rank movie [i.e. 55 rated] could be counted as a 4 or even a 6 true taste rate). And to solve that: I decided that I can live with such imprecision. Therefore, at least my taste for every two movies with a rating distance of 20 will be unambiguous :)
Could you maybe try to explain that part in other words? If 55 has an error range of only 54-56, why are you referencing the distance of 20 ?

spacefloh
2565 Ratings

Post by spacefloh »

livelove wrote:@spacefloh:
Ok, I read your posting a couple of times and begin to understand it.
Thank you :) A reader is a great compliment, understanding an even greater one.

livelove wrote:
Luna6ix wrote:I'd need to rerank a couple thousand films and most of them, I'd have a poor assessment of now.

Yes, same problem here. I'd have to rerank many films and it's difficult to compare a movie you have just seen with one long ago.
Personally, I think you can still improve something here in the long run. Now simply start your reference list and ratings :)

livelove wrote:But this part still escapes me somewhat:
spacefloh wrote:Nevertheless I accepted that based on the bucket granularity there might be an interference of 10 rating points (meaning: on an evenly distributed moviebase a 5 rank movie [i.e. 55 rated] could be counted as a 4 or even a 6 true taste rate). And to solve that: I decided that I can live with such imprecision. Therefore, at least my taste for every two movies with a rating distance of 20 will be unambiguous :)
Could you maybe try to explain that part in other words? If 55 has an error range of only 54-56, why are you referencing the distance of 20 ?

I'll describe it differently:
Suppose you rated the same number of movies in each 10-based bucket [i.e. ten movies shot between 0-10, 10 between 10-19, 10 between 20-29 and so on]. I explicitly meant "to count as a 4-rank film [i.e. 40-49 rated] or even as a 6-rank film [i.e. 60-69 rated] - based on the true taste of itself". The distance to the true taste results from the size of the "rating buckets", which in this case is 10. So if you say, "This movie is rated 55" (based on the reference list), it could mean that it is not clear whether the movie is 45 true taste or 65. Another movie must be outside the 45 to 75 range to avoid interference from the ambiguous ranges.

Let me demostrate:
The movie A rated as 64 could be greater than a movie B (rated as 55). In your opinion movie B is better than movie C that is rated 46. But C is greater than A in your opinion, since the true taste of A is inbetween 74-54 and true taste of C is 56-36. True taste comparison of 54 that is feeling better than the 56 is possible. --> A>B and B>C but C>A
Therefore, minimum distance of 20 (2*bucketsize) is needed to make sure that movies are unambiguous (all under premise that you use the 10 bucketsize reference list to rate new movies).

[spoiler]Knowing that 20 distance is hard to achieve in my system, I treat others with TCIs around/below value 2 as 'indistinguishable' from my true taste. Though I guess they don't have the same taste.[/spoiler]
Enjoy.