release date resource

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
ribcage
4173 Ratings
Your TCI: na

release date resource

Post by ribcage »

Is anyone aware of a resource that can tell you what movies were released on specific days regardless of year? I.e. if I wanted to see every movie that ever got released on a July 29th. I've poked around wiki and imdb and google but if such a thing exists I can't come up with the right search string to dig it up.

iconogassed
7282 Ratings

Re: release date resource

Post by iconogassed »

Maybe Box Office Mojo. Depending on your needs it might be more work than worth, but you can alter the following url to any date in their records:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/schedule/ ... -29&p=.htm

If there were no movies released that day, as there apparently weren't on July 29 1980, it will go to the next day there was (and usually a few weeks forward)

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

ribcage wrote:I wanted to see every movie that ever got released on a July 29th.
Now you made us all curious: What is it about 29 July (or whatever date you are eying) that interests you? Do you have a specific theory about movies released on a specific date?

ribcage
4173 Ratings

Post by ribcage »

I was considering "movies that came out on your birthday" as a theme for my podcast and wanted to check if pulling up such a list to pick movies from was feasible and easy.

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

Great idea!
Personally, I'd find it very interesting to know the movies released on or near the day I was born.

(However I fail to see the relevance of movies released in other years on my birthday date. Why would that be interesting?)

CosmicMonkey
1271 Ratings

Post by CosmicMonkey »

Yeah, I was wondering this myself. I was looking around on google a couple of years back for the same resource, but had no luck. So if it exists I would really, really, like to know.

@LiveLove

The reason I wanted to know about it is because I was thinking about starting a film club, with each week's film being voted upon by members amongst all the films that were released on that day in history. eg. If we met on August 3rd, we would vote on which film(s) to watch from all the films released on August 3rd throughout history.

Anyways, atleast with the boxofficemojo resource I learned that that the biggest film in North America on the day I was born was a Steven Seagal film. I've tracked down a copy and will watch it soon. But it's still far too cumbersome to be used for the information I really want to know.

ribcage
4173 Ratings

Post by ribcage »

i remembered wiki having something similar but couldn't find the search string to pull up what i was thinking of. i stumbled across it today looking up information about super fly. It's only slightly less cumbersome than the boxofficemojo option, but is another way to attempt researching this kind of information:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972_in_film

obviously either replacing the year in the url or following the links in the sidebar. could make a search slightly quicker, especially if it's restricted to a specific decade or span of years. plus it's wiki so you get all the nice extras of top box office, awards, births, film debuts, etc.

p.s. ive learned that my birthday isn't much of a day for film releases and decided to scrap the idea of it being a theme.