Films you enjoyed but others haven't seen

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
whatismyname
2153 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Films you enjoyed but others haven't seen

Post by whatismyname »

I'd like to know what movies others enjoyed that have received, let's say, less than 30 votes on Criticker. I feel it may help those obscure films get some play time that don't have enough rankings for a PSI to be calculated. I just did a quick look at my list and picked a few, coincidently, all being Asian films.

Journey from the Fall - 2 rankings
From what I recall, it was similar to "Rescue Dawn" and thoroughly enjoyed both films.

Heavenly Forest - 9 rankings
For quite some time, I thought I didn't enjoy these type of romance/love movies, but the more I look at my rankings, the more I realize I do.

Soredemo boku wa Yettenai - 3 rankings
Some may find it on the slow side, but I feel the story and plausibility more than makes up for it.

Grit
799 Ratings

Re: Films you enjoyed but others haven't seen

Post by Grit »

The only one that immediately comes to mind without checking my list is Goodnight, Mister Tom (1999). I saw it when it was first broadcast on BBC TV and thought it was really good, watched it again since and still think it's great. I could do with putting a proper review in for it when I've got time, John Thaw puts in a good performance.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

There are about eight, maybe nine, films that I've seen that aren't even in the database. There's a film that I would easily give a 100 rating to ('Welcome to the Jungle', 2007) that's not even in the Criticker database - I've added it though, but is still in preview mode (hurry up moderators!) But the ones that are in the database that don't have many votes:

Hatchet For the Honeymoon (1967) - 2 rankings

One of Mario Bava's best films. It is a brilliant masterpiece.

Suspended Animation - 2 rankings

A modern and equally brilliant version of Rob Reiner's 'Misery'. It's extremely similar to that film in fact, but not for a second does it feel derivative. Surprisingly disturbing movie, very suspenseful and well-acted. I bought it on DVD for two dollars - just shows some people's willingness to ignore a classic.

Shock - 7 rankings

Not Bava's best film, nor in the same league of Bava's classics, littered with some poor photography and very bad acting, but there is no denying the film's brilliantly stylish terror scenes. For that, it remains a solid horror classic.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Blast of Silence.

A very stripped down and gritty portrayal of a troubled hitman, with outstanding cinematography.

Icarus
3463 Ratings

Post by Icarus »

The Battle of Midway -- 2 rankings
This Is Korea! -- 1 ranking

Two fantastic war documentaries by John Ford. They would make a great double feature. The change in tone is striking, even though less than a decade passed between films.

prowler
938 Ratings

Post by prowler »

Tune in Tomorrow is a movie that i caught on MGM and found really really funny and cool. for me it's far better than what you'd expect from looking at the DVD cover or reading a description, it's a memorable film and peter falk is awesome in it.

JooJoo
6023 Ratings

Post by JooJoo »

for starters:
Phantom India

pretty much the only reason to get the Ecipse set of Louis Malle, and even if its not a film, one of my personal favorite docs.

Spunkie
5482 Ratings

Post by Spunkie »

Arrebato (1980)
http://www.criticker.com/?f=23336

I submitted it, one ranking yet. I heard that there will be a Criterion release (not announced on Criterion official yet). A Spanish friend from another forum discovered, ripped and promoted it. Highly reccomended. The director Zulueta doesn't have any balance in his career, so his main success remains singly Arrebato, he's a friend of Almodovar also.

Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer (1984)
http://www.criticker.com/?f=17512

Oshii's complex feature length plot into one of very popular animes of that time. It's artistically off the line since the anime series is an absurd one and Oshii's work rarely is. Very creative as the film progresses nevertheless.

Rupan sansei: Mamo karano chousen (1978)
http://www.criticker.com/?f=9418

Everybody knows Castle of Cagliostro by Miyazaki since he gained wide recognition through his late movies. This is another feature movie out of Lupin III series. It's use of animation is creative and it's wildly funny just like Cagliostro.

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

There's half a dozen or so tier 10 films that only I've rated. I'd like more people to see My Brother Tom. I've only seen it once few years ago, and my tastes have likely refined somewhat since then. A good (reasonably) objective sample would be awesome.

There's quite a few British made films that were only distributed in other European countries. My copy of Some Voices has French subtitles, for example.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Streetwise
http://www.criticker.com/?f=25419

Fascinating, powerful little doc that was screened at my film school. Only 4 ratings.