TV SERIES you might have missed

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
gabba2k7
1068 Ratings
Your TCI: na

TV SERIES you might have missed

Post by gabba2k7 »

hi there.

i d like users to share some series which are not so popular (lets say below 10,000 imdb ratings) AND-OR underrated (for example because lots of users compared it with original film, book or whatever snobbish reason or irrational feelings towards something or someone)

if you are going to contribute to this thread - plz copypaste some ratings and add some brief review or comparison (the latter might be indirect, but representing a similar "vibe" u felt. as an example: Ozark is somewhat BreakingBad-ish)

ok, my list as ive started this. (will add/edit post)
1. tin star (2017) 7.3 imdb; 85% RottenT / somewhat Goliath-ish & bit Fargo-esque. imo not as slow-paced as usual detective series, but probably slower than most crime dramas. though i wasnot bored (and i can easily become bored). also i d add that soundscapes were bit annoying...could have been better... script is more or less ok
2. unsolved (2018) 8,0 imdb. / high quality product imo: good cast, nice visuals. probably better to be into hiphop a bit
3. el chapo (2017) 7.9 imdb. / not Narcos, but enjoyable, especially s2 as more dynamic one. and s3 id say is a bit closer to Narcos
4. snatch (2017) 6.9 imbd; 33% RottenT ; 7.6/10 TV.com ; / E-Z watching crime series. solid OST with some carribean riddims and indie rock. not so Guy Richy-esque but alright to pass the time during production breaks.
5. the looming tower (2018) 8 imbd; 94% RottenT / somewhat Homeland-ish ...but with more bureaucracy
6. seven seconds (2018) 7.7 imbd; 77% RottenT / solid detective|crime drama series. Shield-ish in a way
7. deception (2018, us) 7.6 imbd; 51% Metacritic 7.9 TV.com/ E-Z watching series, somewhat White Collar-ish, but more cheesy and less intriguing
8. gangland undecover (2015) 8.3 imbd / not SoA or Mayans MC ...comparatively slowpaced but still thrilling in its own way.
9. traveler (2007) 8.3 imdb 8.7 TV.com / ok thriller
10. sleeper cell (2005) 8.1 imdb 65% Metacritic 8.6 TV.com / ok thriller
11. bad blood (2017) 7.3 imdb / ok crime drama. s1 was slowpaced and somewhat autobiographical (you can safely skip it). s2 looks ok. It is like SoA but almost without bikers...but with Kim Coates ;]
12. wayne (2019) 8.7 imdb; 100% RottenT / good dark comedy. somewhat Kickass meets Shameless
13. project blue book (2019) 7,9 imdb / somewhat X-files in 60-70ies. solid cast n visuals. scripting is ok, though hardly any show of that sort will surprise viewers
14. hanna (2019) 7.7 imdb / it was ike the Killing but without the Killing though with Kovac, Equlibrium and some teen drama ;}
15. black summer (2019) 6.5 imdb / controversial one. im not a big tWD-FWD fan so iam not biased (and tbh that one looks like a bit better version of FWD)... and i find that one entertaining enough. it looks more natural & authentic while not being 'lost footage' or giving you B-movie feel (i had when watching tWD), little bit more about human insticts without soapish character development. scripting is not liked by many, but well, i am ok with focusing just on chiller or action while ignoring motivations and decisions of certain characters (which people can misunderstand btw)
16. absentia (2017) 7.3 imdb / i love katic so i couldnt miss ;} european-ish style detective thriller. ... looks like some people have issues with acting or scripting but id say s01 is generally ok. (while s2 is totally avoidable)
17. terriers (2010) 8.4 imdb. 92% RottenT / ez-watching crime|detective series (one season, kinda not procedural 8 out 13 eps were linked)
18. how not to live your life (2007–2011) 8.3 imdb. / solid uk comedy series
19. glitch (2015) 7.5 imdb / some dead came to live. it is like Leftovers but with content.
Last edited by gabba2k7 on Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:09 am, edited 38 times in total.

Flanker_33
0 Ratings

Re: TV SERIES you might have missed

Post by Flanker_33 »

That's a great idea for a thread, it's often like that that you find hidden gems; that's for example how I dug out books like Roald Dahl's Squadron 80, which are discussed quite rarely even if they're riveting from the first to the last word.

I'll give Tin Star, Seven Seconds and Sleeper Cell a try and report on here if I can do a decent review!

gabba2k7
1068 Ratings

Post by gabba2k7 »

Flanker_33 wrote: I'll give Tin Star, Seven Seconds and Sleeper Cell a try and report on here if I can do a decent review!

feel free. might be helpful in terms of keeping this thread alive.

though what i implied above is that participants should leave some brief review or comparison when mentioning the hidden gems they found (thus, when adding something new to the list).

gabba2k7
1068 Ratings

Post by gabba2k7 »

movieboy wrote: Life with Damian Lewis -

yeah. watched it. good.
i would have added it to the list but i set a bar too low (<5,000 imdb ratings) whereas Life has 30,000 votes/ratings.

gabba2k7
1068 Ratings

Post by gabba2k7 »

12. wayne (2019) 8.7 imdb, 100% Rotten Tomatoes / good dark comedy. somewhat kickass meets shameless

BabyBlue42
522 Ratings

Post by BabyBlue42 »

If anyone is interested in some classic 90s TV:

Brimstone (1998) 8.1 imdb, 7.5 tv.com. A dead cop, sentenced to Hell, is returned to Earth by the Devil to recover 113 escaped evil spirits. Been like 20 years since I've seen it, but I remember enjoying it when I was young.

Seven Days (1998) 7.3 imdb, 8.4 tv.com. An ex-CIA is the point man for a government organization dedicated to time traveling to correct errors that occurred in the previous week. Kind of corny, typical sort of 90s action sci-fi show, but I enjoyed it, and the idea of only being able to go back in time 7 days was neat.

Luna6ix
4609 Ratings

Post by Luna6ix »

BabyBlue42 wrote:If anyone is interested in some classic 90s TV:

Brimstone (1998) 8.1 imdb, 7.5 tv.com. A dead cop, sentenced to Hell, is returned to Earth by the Devil to recover 113 escaped evil spirits. Been like 20 years since I've seen it, but I remember enjoying it when I was young.

I remember Brimstone too. Loved that show. They would occasionally play marathons of the whole series on the sci-fi channel in the early 2000's, which was an easy thing to do for a show that only lasted one season.

AFlickering
2994 Ratings

Post by AFlickering »

some lesser known oddities, mostly of a comedic nature:

Limmy's Show - probably my favourite sketch show of all time, courtesy of my favourite british comedian. might need subtitles if you can't parse a thick glaswegian accent. here's possibly the most famous sketch.

Xavier: Renegade Angel - the most fucked up and unhinged of all adult swim shows (and maybe all TV shows). an absolute one-of-a-kind gem. a representative example.

Downtown - a long forgotten offbeat animated comic drama about life in NYC that aired on MTV in the late '90s and won an emmy. was a bit of a passion project for chris prynoski who was involved with beavis and butthead, daria, etc. lots of visual personality and deadpan humour, very likeable. sample it here, i think the whole series is on youtube actually.

Space Ghost: Coast to Coast - i'm honestly surprised this has so few ratings, it's legendary among many folks in my age group (30ish). this was the grand-daddy of mock interview shows like between two ferns, primetime glick and, most of all, the eric andre show, for which it was clearly the foremost inspiration. start with the bjork and thom yorke ep.

Fishcenter Live - extremely niche adult swim show. four members of their digital department host a wacky call-in game show involving the fish that live in a tank in their office. totally baffling that it even exists, when you're watching it feels like it's just you and a handful of other insomniac backwater degenerates. for some reason it has guest starred the likes of waka flocka flame, dying fetus and tom green.

Jam - lynchian "ambient comedy" sketch show from the great chris morris. as good and unique as anything he's ever been involved with. example sketch.

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

AFlickering wrote:Limmy's Show - probably my favourite sketch show of all time, courtesy of my favourite british comedian. might need subtitles if you can't parse a thick glaswegian accent. here's possibly the most famous sketch.

+1
started watching this after you rated it. Never thanked you for it. Cheers!

AFlickering
2994 Ratings

Post by AFlickering »

paulofilmo wrote:
AFlickering wrote:Limmy's Show - probably my favourite sketch show of all time, courtesy of my favourite british comedian. might need subtitles if you can't parse a thick glaswegian accent. here's possibly the most famous sketch.

+1
started watching this after you rated it. Never thanked you for it. Cheers!

REQUIEM