(very) old movies

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
Mentaculus
3438 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: (very) old movies

Post by Mentaculus »

Velvet Crowe wrote:I think you should be careful with how you give praise to the industry of the past because films were still a product. While it is true that films had become more "flashy," it'd be disingenuous to say that the industry at the time wasn't concerned with profit or marketability. ... "The Manchurian Candidate" were undeniably functioning off of Cold War paranoia, or at least the appeal of these films was. I feel you're viewing the era with Rose tinted glasses.

A lot of films of that era were schlocky and lacking in substance as many films do today, although by different means. I certainly wouldn't put films like "Rat Race" or "A Very Special Favor" on some pedestal for "thought provoking" high art.

Kinda sorta. Every year (from the 1910s to today) is filled with phenomenal films, as well as a ton of stinkers. Somewhere between 75-90% of all silent films were lost; our doe-eyes for this period may be different if every seat-filler was a part of our retrospective film canon. But, what still exists is a gift and many still provoke (The Crowd; Un Chien Andalou), make us laugh (Steamboat Bill, Jr.), and inspire (Sunrise). At the same time, I could barely sit through Cecil B. DeMille's Joan the Woman. John Ford directed upwards of 140+ films; about 25 are relevant, and 10 or so are masterpieces well worth your attention. Temperance and perspective are certainly part of the appreciation conversation.

gabba2k7 wrote:neither do i. but i meant that i cannot do it 'physically'. i dunno why exactly, can only assume (1) they just feel off, unnatural, non authentic (2) audiovisuals, production quality etc is perceived as low compared to what we get used to

I read this and immediately thought of the infamous train explosion/battle sequence in The General (or maybe just the whole freaking movie for that matter), as far as production values, and the torture scene from Day of Wrath for performance. Great examples can be found - it takes some looking.

Also, IMO Manchurian Candidate is some of the tensest most relevant paranoia I've ever seen: it may be more relevant today than when it came out. But that's another whole conversation.