Return To: Board Index | General Discussion

How granular are your ratings ?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
livelove
66 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: How granular are your ratings ?

Postby livelove » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:52 am

thanks for the detailed and very helpful explanation, SpikyCactus

PrestoBix
1132 Ratings

Postby PrestoBix » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:35 am

livelove wrote:
PrestoBix wrote:The better a movie is the easier it is for me to be precise, and vice versa. When I know a film is going to be in the 90 to 100 range, it's easy for me to pick a number. But when a movie is in the sub-50 range, it's harder for me to pick it out
couldn't this be a sign that your ratings are skewed towards the top? 70 is only in your 25%. Which means that you have to cram 75% of your films in the 70-100 range. The consequence is that you need a very fine granularity there (1 step), whereas this 1-step-granularity is way too fine in the lower range, as you point out yourself. This is a consequence of the skewed distribution. If you "stretched" your ratings more to the bottom (more towards a Bell curve) — or in other words: be stricter with your ratings — you could satisfactorily use a lower granularity for the entire 0-100 range and encounter less difficulties in picking the right number.

PrestoBix wrote:often I just say 2.9, sounds good
2.9 out of 100? What does that mean?

Oh, I rate out of 10 to the decimal point, so I meant 29. 101 options either way.

My ratings are absolutely skewed towards the upper end, I think my average rating is 7.7 (77) or so. But, I believe this is because I only watch movies that I believe I will like. I don't try to watch everything. I'm more concerned with watching old classics than every Hollywood release of the current year. So, I think if I actually watched bad movies, then my average would be around 5. I was thinking about using the random movie button and watching the first dozen movies it recommends and seeing if it were so. But, that seems a bit over the top.

Regardless, it doesn't really matter where the center of my curve is, since there are 30 different options to differentiate with just in the 70-100 range. As for uncertainty in the lower range, it's not that a truly can't differentiate, it's that I truly don't care. When I enter my ratings into letterboxd, anything below 50/100 I mark as a 0.5/5, and I'm happy with that idea, because out of the films I've rated 0.5/5, one might be significantly better than another, but they're both just awful so bothering with any comparisons isn't really worth the time or effort. Anything below a 50/100 is simply best forgotten.

I've worked both as a statistician and a film critic, so this kind of stuff is right up my alley. Cheers.

livelove
66 Ratings

Postby livelove » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:16 pm

PrestoBix wrote:As for uncertainty in the lower range, it's not that a truly can't differentiate, it's that I truly don't care. When I enter my ratings into letterboxd, anything below 50/100 I mark as a 0.5/5, and I'm happy with that idea, because out of the films I've rated 0.5/5, one might be significantly better than another, but they're both just awful so bothering with any comparisons isn't really worth the time or effort. Anything below a 50/100 is simply best forgotten.
It matters for your TCI though, because for Criticker the 40 point difference between a 5 vs 45 score or a 10 vs 50 score counts just as much as the 40 point difference between your 100 point score and another user's 60 point score. In other words, a 40 point difference (between you and another user) for a bad film matters just as much as a 40 point difference for a good film. So if you are imprecise for your lower ratings, you'll hurt your overall accuracy just as much as if you were inaccurate in rating your top films.

Return to “General Discussion”