Do you rate ridiculously bad movies 0 or >0 ?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
gabba2k7
1068 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: How do you rate ridiculously bad movies: 0 or >0 ?

Post by gabba2k7 »

try to spread out your numbers

mission almost impossible

MockHamill
1386 Ratings

Post by MockHamill »

I rate movies based on how much I liked watching them, and to some degree how many times I would like watching them, not good they "technically" are or their artistic value.

For instance I love Kiss-Ass, almost every scene is great, and I can watch the movie 20+ times so I rated it 98.
The God Father, which I also love, is technically a better movie but does not have the same extreme re-watch ability value (for me) so I rated it 96.

I reserve the lowest ratings for movies and series where I despised every second of it (Bad Taste, Spartacus).

A movie that is so bad that it is entertaining would get something in the 40-60 range for me.

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

gabba2k7 wrote:
try to spread out your numbers

mission almost impossible

Oohf, the recs must be balls for you. If a score of 82 is your 44th percentile, you're presumably alienating a lot of users that actually have similar taste to you.

In your case (if you really haven't seen many terrible movies), I would pull up some close TCI users (or your idiosyncratic likes with shared high percentiles), and copy their low rankings. Then scrub any anomalies later on (when you have better users as your top TCIs).
But hopefully Criticker will find a way to function for people who choose to rate like you do.

although this guy hung around for 10 years, so it might not be an issue for some

gabba2k7
1068 Ratings

Post by gabba2k7 »

maybe i should have forced myself to use something like 5,5 6 <...>9,5 10...but too late for that ;[

currently i use
<78 all sorts of bad
79-80 kinda not good
81-82 avoidable though watchable
83-84 solid. (if tv series - to continue watching)
>85 really good stuff
Last edited by gabba2k7 on Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

90sCoffee
2242 Ratings

Post by 90sCoffee »

Never understood the 'so bad that it's good' thing. If it's bad then it's bad, maybe I'm not ironic enough.

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

@90sCoffee:
It's "so bad it's entertaining" rather than "so bad it's good".

Anomaly
1894 Ratings

Post by Anomaly »

Why would "so bad it's good" be the ultimate in badness? At least if you're laughing at a film, you're still feeling SOMETHING positive. Emotion is how we respond to the outside world, and fiction is built on deliberately inciting those same emotions. A film in which the only emotion engaged is a profoundly negative boredom, or even no emotion at all, would be worse by this metric. That, in my opinion, would have a much better claim at "ultimate badness."

My ratings are (roughly) a measure of my positive emotional engagement with the film in question. Something which I laugh at will be ranked higher than something which profoundly bores me, even if the laughter was unintended. For example, I'd be much more willing to rewatch The Room than Manos, because at least I can get some positive experience out of the former, and my ratings reflect this.

Proximity
845 Ratings

Post by Proximity »

lowest i'll go is a 1

jal90
845 Ratings

Post by jal90 »

I haven't yet rated a 0, but I don't have anything against that in theory. It's just that nothing has reached that low yet to me.

kuzronk
4359 Ratings

Post by kuzronk »

10 = .5 20= 1 etc