100 things I hate in movies

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
livelove
67 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: 100 things I hate in movies

Post by livelove »

45. One person knows the truth and nobody believes him/her.

46. Special case of 45, cliché: Wife says she has seen something not right (e.g. a man watching them) and husband does not believe her ("you have just imagined that"). I mean, why would you marry someone you have no faith in?

ribcage
4173 Ratings

Post by ribcage »

livelove wrote:
46. Special case of 45, cliché: Wife says she has seen something not right (e.g. a man watching them) and husband does not believe her ("you have just imagined that"). I mean, why would you marry someone you have no faith in?

Oh this one sets me off too. I could see blowing off a spouse having general anxiety but a specific "i think someone is out there" totally calls for a lap around the house with an improvised weapon.

coffee
2376 Ratings

Post by coffee »

livelove wrote:45. One person knows the truth and nobody believes him/her.

This is a great one. There are many offenders in this category.

47. Some of the really easy problems in films are results of lack of simple communication. Worst offenders are romance films.

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

I forgot the most obvious, and which actually bothers me the most:

48. When scriptwriters/directors make characters talk/react in a manner no one Earth would. Maybe sometimes they should frequent real people instead of, I don't know, ... comic books only? (although I love comics) ... just to see how real people behave. :evil: :roll:

(case in point, I saw "Krampus" today. Just look at how the parents react to their children disappearing ... like "okay, shit happens". And then there is a hell of noise on the attic ... parents don't even go check it out. :roll: )

chmul_cr0n
4271 Ratings

Post by chmul_cr0n »

49. Middle-aged detectives without any investigative instincts or display of experience.
50. "I can do this, because video game."
51. Pretty action without impact or stakes.
52. Following up a big, cathartic moment with a smaller, less cathartic moment.
53. All streets are wet at night and there's fog coming out of some hole in the ground.
54. Big, bulky cgi monsters that move like cartoon characters.
55. Supposedly malicious demons/spirits trolling and pranking people instead of scaring them or having some sort of motivation.
56. Comedians showcasing their improv skills by describing the situation or explaining other people's punchlines.
57. A quintuple-cross where everyone saw everyone's moves coming and took precautions before anyone else's grandparents were even born.
58. Protagonists surviving fatal accidents, but at least they're limping a bit in the next two shots.
59. "Witty" comebacks that are just variations of "No, you're stupid!"
60. Being on the wrong side of history isn't enough, the character needs to look sleazy so everyone knows to dislike them.
61. Dark in cinematography instead of dark in tone.
62. Sarcastic, cynical scenes played for laughs you're expected to take as sincere retroactively.
63. Hackers demonstrating their skills by casually hacking the CIA during the job interview.
64. Villains who can only speak in whispers and whilst comically close to someone's face.
65. A friend sneaking up on the protagonist in the dark, only to suddenly tap on his shoulder and be surprised they're startled.
66. Lightweights kicking away heavyweights.
67. The hood of a car is stronger than a giant metal gate.
68. Telling a generic female character she's "Smart, beautiful and funny" to prove it's not just about sex and that he knows who she is deep down.
69. A female character doing something really humiliating to a male character, but it's played for laughs with a "what are you gonna do...wink wink" kind of attitude.

law
1854 Ratings

Post by law »

Hey, hey, hey! Leave some spots for others!

70. L-shaped bedsheets that expose the man's torso but not the woman's.

71. American double standards around nudity in general, really.

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

law wrote:71. American double standards around nudity in general, really.
72. especially gore and violence being considered much more suitable to children than physical expression of love

JSchlansky
4287 Ratings

Post by JSchlansky »

73. The protagonist getting shot in the heart only to reveal that a book/lighter/badge stopped the bullet.

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

74. It was just a dream.

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

@chmul_cr0n: excellent ones !

chmul_cr0n wrote:52. Following up a big, cathartic moment with a smaller, less cathartic moment.
53. All streets are wet at night and there's fog coming out of some hole in the ground.
55. Supposedly malicious demons/spirits trolling and pranking people instead of scaring them or having some sort of motivation.
62. Sarcastic, cynical scenes played for laughs you're expected to take as sincere retroactively.
69. A female character doing something really humiliating to a male character, but it's played for laughs with a "what are you gonna do...wink wink" kind of attitude.
What's to dislike about 53?
As for the others: Do you have examples ?