Do I need to see more bad movies?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
BabyBlue42
522 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Do I need to see more bad movies?

Post by BabyBlue42 »

Some interesting points in here. Thank you for the responses.

I wouldn't consider Transformers a bad movie though. It's not the most creative movie in terms of the story, but it succeeds at what it was made for, being a fun to watch, fast action, blockbuster with cool transformers in it, lol. To me that rates it in the 60-75 range, but maybe I'm too generous a rater.

I generally only rate less than 60 if I feel like a movie isn't doing well at anything it set out to do, and less than 50 if it's actually offensive or annoying in some way. My worst rated movie is The Birth of a Nation (the original D.W. Griffith one) mainly because it is super racist and glorifies the KKK, but I gave it 5 points just for being one of the first films to move the camera, it may have deserved more for some of the camera work actually, but it's hard to get past the racism.

I do like the idea of watching the occasional bad movie as a palette cleanser, though I would probably only do it intentionally if I wanted background noise while I'm doing something else, or I'm high and don't want to watch something that requires intense thought, lol.

hellboy76
6339 Ratings

Post by hellboy76 »

Just watch a lot of Mystery Science Theater 3000 and rate those :). Seriously though bad movies can be a lot of fun. I have near 6k rankings and the vast majority of my ratings line up from 62-66 which is average, because most movies are. Even bad movie lovers probably aren't gonna watch enough bad films to completely balance out. Don't worry about it.

BillyShears
5493 Ratings

Post by BillyShears »

Bad movies fuel me. If you skip out on bad movies where else are you gonna see Linnea Quigley whip out her hooters and fight mutants or zombies or whatever someone came up with to get her to whip out her hooters.

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

BillyShears wrote:Bad movies fuel me. If you skip out on bad movies where else are you gonna see Linnea Quigley whip out her hooters and fight mutants or zombies or whatever someone came up with to get her to whip out her hooters.

this man speaks truth

TychoCelchuu
2347 Ratings

Post by TychoCelchuu »

For a while I tried not to watch any bad movies, and so right now most of my ratings are for good movies. This means I'm in a similar position: a movie with a score in the 70s is around the 30th percentile. In the past few years, though, I've started watching more bad movies. Why? Well, I started listening to some movie podcasts (specifically Black Men Can't Jump in Hollywood and Blank Check with Griffin and David) which both cover a spread of good an bad movies, and I try to watch the movies before I listen to the episodes.

I found that watching bad movies has actually been pretty rewarding for a few reasons. First, it's relatively novel: I have done a good job avoiding bad movies for such a long time that it's actually kind of nice to stretch my boundaries in this new way by watching the sorts of things I usually wouldn't watch. Second, sometimes I find that I actually like some of the movies that most people think are quite bad, which is cool because that in itself can be pretty interesting to think about. Third, it definitely does make you appreciate what you love about good movies that much more. Fourth, it certainly doesn't hurt in terms of making your Criticker percentiles make more sense. And fifth, those two podcasts are absolutely excellent, so if only for that reason I can recommend watching some bad movies!

elhenzo
1433 Ratings

Post by elhenzo »

I try to even my scores out, but you don't have to if you don't want to.

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

you can try rating them without having to watch them. don't tell the police

coffee
2376 Ratings

Post by coffee »

There are bad films like Thor: The Dark World and there are bad films that are so bad they are good. Bride of the Monster immediately comes to mind.

I don't think anyone should watch the first kind but watching the second type of films is actually fun. I guess a movie could be anything but boring. Boring films are really unwatchable.

kgbelliveau
1570 Ratings

Post by kgbelliveau »

I don't think anyone really sits down to watch a film knowing they will hate it completely. I think we watch them to see if they have something redeeming still in them. It often feels like we jump to a conclusion that a film is bad thanks to things like RT scores and box office returns.

Watching, reviewing and then scoring a film is all based on the experience. I have enjoyed some universally panned films and hated some films that have been given nothing but love. There is no definitive idea of what a bad movie is because it everyone looks at it differently. It is more important to see a variety of films so that we can establish our own ranking system so that others with similar taste can see how we feel about it.

I just disagree that because a film scores a 40 on RT it is a "bad film".

nauru
1667 Ratings

Post by nauru »

I had the same issue when I first started on Criticker; most of the movies I was ranking were films I was confident I would like before watching them, and usually I ended up thinking they were good.

To address some of the skew in my rankings I started watching movies that were widely acclaimed/admired, but ordinarily I would not consider watching. For example, I had never watched a Woody Allen movie before coming on this site. The main reason was there had never been a Woody Allen movie that had appealed to me. I didn't really know people thought of him as a "big deal" until joining this site, even though the name was vaguely familiar due to his general fame. So I tried watching a few.

Now that I've seen five of his films, I've learned that I can't stand Woody Allen movies. He is among my 3 lowest-rated directors. Even though I thought these five films were pretty terrible, I don't really consider it a waste of my time. Same with Wes Anderson, who is also in my bottom 3 directors, despite being loved by some people. It's broadened my horizons, and given me a better understanding of what I like and don't like in a film. Same with some famous films from decades past that I might not have thought to watch otherwise. And in some cases, I've discovered films or filmmakers that I love, which I ordinarily would not have taken a chance on. Cinema Paradiso comes to mind, as well as City of God, Alien, Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, Some Like It Hot, Edward Scissorhands, 12 Angry Men, and Wayne's World.

But watching movies which I think will not be enjoyable for me, which are also widely considered to be terrible, for the sake of balancing my ratings, would be a waste of time.