How to Randomly Generate a Movie You'll Surely Like

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
PrestoBix
2399 Ratings
Your TCI: na

How to Randomly Generate a Movie You'll Surely Like

Post by PrestoBix »

This is how to use Criticker's awesome recommendation system to get completely random films.

1. Create the following filter:

Popularity: 6 to 10
    Release Type: Films
    Ordered By: PSI

The goal is to have every film in the list have a PSI for you. It will definitely help if you support Criticker, since all the PSI's will be renewed fresh each day. You could also just pay the $1.50 for site-wide PSI renewal, and if you've got more than a few hundred ratings, that'll work for a very long time.

This list gives me personally over 17,000 movies to pull from.

2. Next, pick a cut-off for your expected rating. Maybe tier 6 or higher. Find the page where your last tier 6 PSI is. For me, it's page 26.

3. There are 60 ratings a page going on for 26 pages. So, use a random number generator to produce two random numbers. One out of 60 and the other out of your number of pages (26 for me). Use the numbers to find the corresponding film. If it's already watched, try again.

This produces a movie you will like with the least amount of effort possible. I know I'm guilty sometimes of putting too much though into what movie to watch next, so this can help alleviate that negative tendency, so that you can forget about everything but watching movies.

Also, if you don't already know going to all movies and sorting by PSI is a must do for any criticker user so that you can get all your recommendations are once, including those your are expected to rate as tier 10. Just don't watch all those sweet tier 10 PSI's in one day :P

metalhank
3473 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: How to Randomly Generate a Movie You'll Surely Like

Post by metalhank »

Why would you want to be so random???
Sort a little more by you're favorite genres makes a lot more sense, or try a genre you're not usually into.