Can't find Worthwhile Movies anymore

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
ScorpionWasp
358 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Can't find Worthwhile Movies anymore

Post by ScorpionWasp »

You seem to be operating under a misapprehension of how Criticker works. If you are referring to the home and/or "Recommendations" pages, you are being recommended those movies basically because other people whose tastes are numerically similar to yours have rated them highly. And those pages are already divided into those exact same categories you are talking about (horror, sci-fi, adventure, etc.). I have no idea how you can expect the engine to recognize the dialogue language or film stock or "mainstream factor" when those aren't things that are tracked here, or why you would want such an engine to avoid recommending you things outside your comfort zone that you might like.
No, I get it. The engine datamines its userbase and finds that there is a very large cluster of users who simultaneously like A, B, C, D and E, and dislike X,Y, Z, W and K. A new user joins, and they report liking A, B, C and D, and disliking X, Y, Z and K. So the engine knows it should push E, and never W.

Of course this system doesn't capture the usual conventions *directly*, but it should do so indirectly, in that the bulk of people who like certain things... likes THESE certain things. And yeah, I'd expect a fair number of false positives... amidst a large number of legit positives! :D

There are many reasons why that could be so. The smaller the system's database, the worse it's expected to perform. And of course, users who deviate heavily from any and all patterns detected by the system won't receive good suggestions. There are probably many more technicalities. Whatever the case, it hasn't been working great for me.
Last edited by ScorpionWasp on Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

iconogassed
7282 Ratings

Post by iconogassed »

ScorpionWasp wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:39 pm
There are many reasons why that could be so. The smaller the system's database, the worse it's expected to perform. And of course, users who deviate heavily from any and all patterns detected by the system won't receive good suggestions. There are probably many more technicalities. Whatever the case, it hasn't been working great for me.
How can you tell how it's working for you if you prematurely dismiss the movies you're recommended because they're old or black and white or not in English?

iconogassed
7282 Ratings

Post by iconogassed »

Also, you can generate recommendations yourself based on all manner of criteria. Just go to the full database or a collection page, filter by year or country or genre or level of popularity or whatever then just order by PSI.

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

paulofilmo wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:22 pm
oh, and kumpels. find users that like the weird stuff you like, and kumpel them/look at their other rankings.

e.g. I have a few people that like romantic dramas (2015 Pride and Prejudice, etc.), that I can use for recs.

Paxton
3633 Ratings

Post by Paxton »

paulofilmo wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:33 pm
paulofilmo wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:22 pm
oh, and kumpels. find users that like the weird stuff you like, and kumpel them/look at their other rankings.

e.g. I have a few people that like romantic dramas (2015 Pride and Prejudice, etc.), that I can use for recs.
Please tell me one of the is TheDenizen

BadCosmonaut
4401 Ratings

Post by BadCosmonaut »

This site probably works better if you rate as many movies/shows as you can. Rate everything you've ever seen.

movieboy
1165 Ratings

Post by movieboy »

Given up on movies - it's not worth the effort required to find a movie you will like. You check out quite a few movies before you like one & that gets over in 2 hours. Much more worthwhile spending the time to find a good TV series you would like - once you find one, it keeps you entertained for a much longer time. The unfortunate part is that no so many people on Criticker have rated TV Shows, so it's not easy to find good TV show recommendations through Criticker.

rklenseth
11417 Ratings

Post by rklenseth »

I've been using JustWatch (www.justwatch.com) and selecting the streaming services I use which mixes the movies and/or TV shows together from what is available on the services I have. I've found this much easier than picking and choosing a service and browsing through an individual catalog and somewhat of a time saver having everything in one spot.

Also, I have found it great for when I think of a movie or discover one through other means I can search for it and see if it is available for streaming and what service(s) may have it.

Obviously this site is only good for streaming movies.

oplars
1313 Ratings

Post by oplars »

I was once recommended MovieLens by Paulofilmo. I have been very grateful to her for that.
For some reason, it works much better than criticker for me. Very seldom its predicted score diverts very much from my score, whereas I cannot find any trace that criticker has any idea of my taste. I could just as well be random films it recommends. Also if I look up a certain film to check what score it has been given there is a greater chance that it is wrong.
I was told by someone who works at MovieLens that criticker works the same way as Movielens and probably has the same number of users, so it is a mystery why there is so much difference.
It's a pity since I like all the search options at this site.

I look forward to trying Tastoid.com that Vonmaster recommended in the tread. Seems as if it also can be used to find tv shows. All the engines I have tried with shows have until now not been a success. The last one was Taste.io. It looked very promising, may their database is just still too small as it is a rather new site.

AFlickering
2994 Ratings

Post by AFlickering »

oplars wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:12 pm
I was once recommended MovieLens by Paulofilmo. I have been very grateful to her for that.
For some reason, it works much better than criticker for me. Very seldom its predicted score diverts very much from my score, whereas I cannot find any trace that criticker has any idea of my taste. I could just as well be random films it recommends.
i think criticker is pretty objectively accurate for people with well-defined tastes if you rate enough films (easily the most accurate recommendation engine i've found anywhere and that includes movielens), but 389 is just too small of a sample honestly. i think you have to be approaching four figures before the PSIs start to become eerily accurate. the other thing that helps with criticker is to rate nearly as many movies you dislike as movies you like. the algorithm has no way of knowing if you've got movies you like in e.g. the 20th percentile of your ratings, it makes an assumption that your distribution is at least somewhat even (or rather, as even as the average criticker user).