Casting Almosts

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
Bojangles
2727 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Casting Almosts

Post by Bojangles »

Eh, I keep coming up with thread ideas.

I just read that Sean Penn was originally cast in PSH's role in Punch-Drunk Love. My mind was blown thinking how awesome that would've been, not that PSH wasn't great.

So what are some "casting almosts" that you can think of? They could've been a potential improvement or a potential mistake, doesn't matter. Another one is, some studio apparently wanted Nic Cage to star in The Wrestler, which would've most likely ruined everything.

Post.

Pickpocket
3024 Ratings

Re: Casting Almosts

Post by Pickpocket »

Pretty much every role Burt Reynolds has turned down has been beneficial, imo. He turned down Die Hard, Star Wars (as Han Solo), Milos Forman wanted to cast him in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, and he turned down Nicholson's role in Terms of Endearment.

And for PDL, John C. Reilly was supposed to be one of the brothers but decided to not do it cause it would take people out of the film.

KGB
1335 Ratings

Post by KGB »

What about directors? Terry Gilliam was Warner's first choice to direct the first 'Harry Potter' film, and they finally gave the film to Columbos since well, they thought a little about their marketing target and, let's say, figured out that Gilliam would fuck the children up so bad there wouldn't be a market left for the sequels.
Also the whole set would probably burn down during the shooting, given Gilliam's misfortunes when it comes to film production. I admire the man for many reasons, but his will to continue filmmaking such great films disaster after disaster and discouragement after discouragement* is simly admirable, I think it can only be compared with Werner "God Almighty" Herzog.

*If I was to direct 'Brazil' I can assure you that if my film, especially such a majestic film with such a delicate subject, would be abused so badly and given such a harsh editing, especially after the battlefield that was the production, I would personally go to the studio's headquarters and shoot every one involved in the marketing of my film, Michael Douglas style.

Dorkovsky
41951 Ratings

Post by Dorkovsky »

I know just a few of these, i'll list them..

Gary Cooper turned down the role of Rhett Butler.
Both Robert Redford and Warren Beatty turned down the role of Michael Corleone.
Marlon Brando turned down the role of T. E. Lawrence.
and Harvey Keitel getting fired from Apocalypse Now and replaced by Martin Sheen.

Pickpocket
3024 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

kyle.loomis wrote:and Harvey Keitel getting fired from Apocalypse Now and replaced by Martin Sheen.

Also, Pacino turning down the role in Apoc was good but Pacino would've been interesting in that role.

by Devol
1140 Ratings

Post by by Devol »

Reagan was origianlly slated for "Arsenic and Old Lace", but Cary Grant swooped in and fixed that deal.