Additional feature on filmmaker list

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
xombiemonkey
1415 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Additional feature on filmmaker list

Post by xombiemonkey »

Hey, first time poster here. I have no idea how you'd implement this, but I think it would be a really useful feature to have: currently you can look at your filmmaker lists based on average rating and average tier. I was wondering if you'd be able to add a feature to where some sort of Bayesian average is calculated both based on the average rating of a particular director and how many films you've seen by them. I feel this would be far more useful for trying to figure out which filmmakers truly are your favorites. For example: if Filmmakers A and B both have average scores of 85, but you've seen 3 films by Filmmaker A and 4 by Filmmaker B, Filmmaker B's adjusted average would be higher. Don't know if this is feasible or not, but it would be fantastic to have. Thank you!

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Re: Additional feature on filmmaker list

Post by mpowell »

Welcome to the forums! And thanks for the suggestion... that's a good one! We'll add it to our list of possible future enhancements. We won't be able to look at it right away, but eventually we will.

Ramy
1485 Ratings

Post by Ramy »

I do this:

3 FILMS : +0
4 FILMS : +1.00
5 FILMS : +1.90
6 FILMS : +2.71
7 FILMS : +3.44
8 FILMS : +4.10
9 FILMS : +4.69
10 FILMS : +5.22
11 FILMS : +5.69
12 FILMS : +6.12
13 FILMS : +6.51
14 FILMS : +6.86
15 FILMS : +7.17
etc.

Start at +1 and add 90% every time. (1, 0.9, 0.81, 0.73, 0.66, etc.)

A director with an average of 80 for 3 films stays at 80.
A director with an average of 80 for 10 films is bumped up to 85.22.

The bump doesn't go higher than 10, so an OK director with 30 movies won't make it to the top of your list.

CosmicMonkey
1271 Ratings

Post by CosmicMonkey »

The System I have set up on a spreadsheet in Excel (with my very limited knowledge of statistics) is thus:

(Average Tier - Confidence Interval (with 95% confidence))

So for example:
A Director with the tier rankings of 7, 8, 9 would be dropped from an average tier of 8 to an average tier of 6.87

Whereas as director with the tier rankings of 7 ,7, 7, 8, 8, 8, 9, 9, 9, would be dropped from the same average tier of 8 to an average tier of 7.43.

This system therefore takes into account, both the total number of rankings, and the standard deviation among the rankings, thereby rewarding consistency.

xombiemonkey
1415 Ratings

Post by xombiemonkey »

Thank you for the replies! CosmicMonkey, your system sounds like it'd produce really accurate results. I'd like to see your excel sheet if you'd be willing to send me a copy

xombiemonkey
1415 Ratings

Post by xombiemonkey »

Hey, it’s been a couple years, just giving this forum a bump since I still believe it’s a really good idea. Would like to hear any other suggestions from the community on how this could be implemented

MTR
34 Ratings

Post by MTR »

What about some form of additive smoothing?

Code: Select all

( Sum of percentiles + 25 ) / ( Number of ratings + 0.5 ) 

Filmmaker A from the opening post would have an adjusted rating of 80 and Filmmaker B would have an adjusted rating of 81.11.

It effectively acts like giving every filmmaker half a movie with rating of 50. That means filmmakers with average rating lower than 50 would be getting a small bonus. If one wouldn't want any bonuses the formula could be changed to:

( Sum of percentiles ) / ( Number of ratings + 0.1 ) 

Filmmaker A has adjusted rating of 82.26 here and Filmmaker B has adjusted rating of 82.93.

Of course one could play with the parameters a and b here.

( Sum of percentiles + a ) / ( Number of ratings + b )