iPhone app

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
adgrimes
297 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: iPhone app

Post by adgrimes »

Ok, even if not an iPhone app, if the dev's of the apps I use mostly decided to go and develop for Android only, then I would probably make the switch over to Android. I am lucky though in the respect that my job allows me to switch to pretty much any device I choose, as work pays for them.
Failing that, a mobile version of the web page would be perfectly adequate.

Trouble is, the one thing I have with me when I'm watching a movie/TV series, is either my phone or my iPad. I had the issue with Jinni in that the webpage just didn't function properly on either device. Criticker is way better, but its by no means perfect on a mobile device.
Criticker is also WAY better at guessing whether or not I'll like the film. Jinni fails miserably at that.

I'm no coder though, so I just assume that coding and getting an app out there, is easy :)
Thanks for enlightening me ;-)

td888
3955 Ratings

Post by td888 »

adgrimes wrote:Ok, even if not an iPhone app, if the dev's of the apps I use mostly decided to go and develop for Android only, then I would probably make the switch over to Android. I am lucky though in the respect that my job allows me to switch to pretty much any device I choose, as work pays for them.
Failing that, a mobile version of the web page would be perfectly adequate.

Trouble is, the one thing I have with me when I'm watching a movie/TV series, is either my phone or my iPad. I had the issue with Jinni in that the webpage just didn't function properly on either device. Criticker is way better, but its by no means perfect on a mobile device.
Criticker is also WAY better at guessing whether or not I'll like the film. Jinni fails miserably at that.

I'm no coder though, so I just assume that coding and getting an app out there, is easy :)
Thanks for enlightening me ;-)

Part of my work is developing apps for the android and apple platforms. Truth be told, it is not easy to work with the constraints Apple is putting on the developers. I am also not a apple fan-boy myself.

On my personal to-do list is developing an android app for Criticker. There is one already out there, but I feel it is missing some functionality.

Totally off-topic: I predict this year a huge 'battle' will take place between Google, Facebook and Apple. I don't know if you read about it but Google Glass is going to hit the market this year. This device is going to be a huge game-changer and will either force Facebook to work with Google or go the same way like MySpace. Apple will get slaughtered in this market change, everyone will want a Google Glass with an android device. I suggest you read up on Google Glass, its implications are mind boggling.

mndt
175 Ratings

Post by mndt »

Still waiting...

lostinlodos
3956 Ratings

Post by lostinlodos »

Still waiting...
Lol.

CosmicMonkey
1271 Ratings

Post by CosmicMonkey »

Ok, true there's no Criticker app but there is (finally) a mobile browser-friendly version of Criticker, so I don''t really understand what purpose having a mobile would be. What could you do with the app, that you can't already do on the mobile browser version?

Besdies it's 2017 now (how time flies!), it would make a lot more sense financially and logistically for the an app to first be released on Android and then later on be ported for iOS, if there's still demand for it.

mattorama12
3086 Ratings

Post by mattorama12 »

CosmicMonkey wrote:Ok, true there's no Criticker app but there is (finally) a mobile browser-friendly version of Criticker, so I don''t really understand what purpose having a mobile would be. What could you do with the app, that you can't already do on the mobile browser version?

Besdies it's 2017 now (how time flies!), it would make a lot more sense financially and logistically for the an app to first be released on Android and then later on be ported for iOS, if there's still demand for it.

Agreed, the mobile version of the site is pretty solid, so there's really little need for a dedicated app anymore.

Mist600
877 Ratings

Mobile site seems to work fine

Post by Mist600 »

Not being snarky, just genuinely asking what would you want an iOS app to do additionally?

Maybe it wasnt always so - but as far as I can tell the mobile site works just fine on iPhone & iPad.

What is the case for a stand-alone iOS app :?:
What features would it add?

eminsr
1408 Ratings

Post by eminsr »

I don't know about you guys but on a mobile device, a responsive site doesn't feel right.

I don't think there is an android app anymore so we need that too. But a lot changed in the last few years now you can just write the app with react-native or something and have a native application for both platforms. Plus the criticker has very straightforward functionality so it would not be so hard to develop one.

I don't know if the apps could cover Apple's annual developer fee ($100) why not right?

pillowpants
3598 Ratings

Post by pillowpants »

I like Criticker because I can rate rate rate and then sort by pretty much everything.

IMDB, Trakt and Letterboxd have too much going on.

I like "Watcha" because I can just rate movies and TV shows to my hearts content but nothing compares to the criticker site and its very disappointing that nothing exists.