TV series

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
Ununnilium
1262 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: TV series

Post by Ununnilium »

Honestly, rating serial works is much different than rating things that stand alone. As I see it, it's not that it's not doable, but it'd basically want to be an entirely new system, coded up from scratch - and I'd rather have more features and fixes on Criticker itself.

ClevrTitania
126 Ratings

Post by ClevrTitania »

I realize this topic is slightly old, but given that I'm very new, hopefully I'll be forgiven for resurrecting it.

I've just started exploring Criticker, but I was thrilled when I found it. While I do have other interests, nothing so defines me as my love of film and television, and what I love OF film and television (admittedly my passion extends to creation not just observation).

So finding a social network where I can meet people based on similar tastes in films - even to the point of comparing what we both don't like - was quite a coup for me.

But it would be an even better tool if TV were included. While cinephiles are always watching movies, TV is a more constant marker of tastes, because it is ongoing and expansive in a way most films aren't (except ongoing franchise's obviously). And while it's true that some film lovers don't care that much for television, I meet more people who hold TV and film in equal regard, than people who feel the opposite.

I agree that the simplest method suggested thus far is only shows that have gone off the air. That way you're not having people constantly change their rankings, or arguing over what they THINK the show is moving toward, and it allows the creators to - if they got lucky enough to end on a finale - finish their vision before it's rated. I think you could make some special exceptions for shows that just go on forever, like soaps, certain animated shows (at this point who knows if Simpsons and/or South Park will ever go off the air), and news or specialty programs (some BBC panel shows have been on 15+ years).

I'm also in favor of rating a whole show, not just a season. It might get a little tricky with some other non-US formats, for instance it could be argued that Torchwood has been three completely separate TV shows; the original, Children of Earth and Miracle Day; and it's still ongoing. But I'm sure there's a way to set parameters for this kind of situation.

Sorry this got so long. :ugeek:

AidanMcK
207 Ratings

Post by AidanMcK »

It is definitely needed and would be a worthwhile addition to this great site.

But you would have to rate TV Series by season otherwise it would be useless. E.g. Seinfeld Season 1 would get 90, whereas Season 5 would get 20 (imho). The same can be said for most TV series (Weeds, Lie To Me, etc., etc.). Rating individual episodes is pointless, especially for TV Series with continuity.

Rankings per season of TV series is something that cannot be found on the internet at all, or at least I haven't found it yet. Your setup here is perfect for it.

Spunkie
5483 Ratings

Post by Spunkie »

My desire for TV titles on Criticker mainly arises from my personal need for reccomendations. I am not avid TV consumer, haven't checked it for about two decades. Yet I've been coming around exceptitonal titles like over and underground English shows, cable tv attack from US and a few anime series which are even capable of continous storytelling it's kin; cinema falls short.

However TV material needs to be a completely seperate entry, which shouldn't blend into film database. Seperate and unified TCI for cinema and TV is a possibility. Seasonwise rating sounds good, it will also be less taxing for the moderation as IMDB lists TV entries season indexed. TV -shows- such as America's got talent and talk shows seem redundant to me and can be polluting for this site. A ground rule about eligibility of TV genres can be decided communitywise through a poll. My 50 kurush.

Okkervil
3631 Ratings

Post by Okkervil »

Spunkie wrote:
However TV material needs to be a completely seperate entry, which shouldn't blend into film database. Seperate and unified TCI for cinema and TV is a possibility. Seasonwise rating sounds good, it will also be less taxing for the moderation as IMDB lists TV entries season indexed. TV -shows- such as America's got talent and talk shows seem redundant to me and can be polluting for this site. A ground rule about eligibility of TV genres can be decided communitywise through a poll. My 50 kurush.

Agree with this.

klea
1941 Ratings

Post by klea »

Please no

Or at least don't tie in tv show ratings with movie PSIs

stuie299
1454 Ratings

Post by stuie299 »

Like I've said before I think this would be a great idea. One thing I really don't understand though is why people feel the need to rate tv shows by season. The only tv show where I've seen a distinctly noticeable difference was the terrible season 9 of scrubs. Other than that I generally just think of tv shows as a whole. Either I like the entire series or I don't. It just makes things simplier, because when I get down to it I don't really care about the insignificant differences between seasons (most of the time there aren't significant differences). I also don't see why we wouldn't be able to rate shows that haven't ended? Again I generally know how much I like a tv show before I've seen the finale.

Filligan
1576 Ratings

Post by Filligan »

stuie299 wrote:Like I've said before I think this would be a great idea. One thing I really don't understand though is why people feel the need to rate tv shows by season. The only tv show where I've seen a distinctly noticeable difference was the terrible season 9 of scrubs. Other than that I generally just think of tv shows as a whole. Either I like the entire series or I don't. It just makes things simplier, because when I get down to it I don't really care about the insignificant differences between seasons (most of the time there aren't significant differences). I also don't see why we wouldn't be able to rate shows that haven't ended? Again I generally know how much I like a tv show before I've seen the finale.

The Simpsons is drastically different from its earlier seasons compared to now. Lots of shows go through radical changes like that the longer they stay on the air and the writers strain for new ideas. Look at what's happened to The Office in eight seasons.

stuie299
1454 Ratings

Post by stuie299 »

Filligan wrote:
stuie299 wrote:Like I've said before I think this would be a great idea. One thing I really don't understand though is why people feel the need to rate tv shows by season. The only tv show where I've seen a distinctly noticeable difference was the terrible season 9 of scrubs. Other than that I generally just think of tv shows as a whole. Either I like the entire series or I don't. It just makes things simplier, because when I get down to it I don't really care about the insignificant differences between seasons (most of the time there aren't significant differences). I also don't see why we wouldn't be able to rate shows that haven't ended? Again I generally know how much I like a tv show before I've seen the finale.

The Simpsons is drastically different from its earlier seasons compared to now. Lots of shows go through radical changes like that the longer they stay on the air and the writers strain for new ideas. Look at what's happened to The Office in eight seasons.

I agree with the Simpsons but that's because it been on the air for 20+ seasons. I however still watch it and enjoy it. As for a show like the Office how much of that is writing and how much of it is caused simply because steve Carrell left? Still without Steve Carrell its better than any sitcom on Abc, CBS, or Fox. Now it seems like the only good sitcoms are either on NBC or cable.

Filligan
1576 Ratings

Post by Filligan »

Well that's entirely your opinion, isn't it? I know many people who've said The Office started sucking after season 4. But that's what happens with shows, writers and actors eventually leave and the show suffers for it. There's a myriad of examples. I don't want to have to rate The Simpsons with a great score as a blanket number for the entire run of the series, nor do I want to have to specify in a mini-review that "this score is only indicative of the first 10 seasons".