TV series

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
Jerky
6163 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: TV series

Post by Jerky »

I understand that people want to rate TV series (I love TV too) but there are other outlets to do so, namely IMDB.

It's bad enough that we have Bugs Bunny episodes labeled as "film" (and, yeah, I "get it", these were short films in the 40's that played before features in the cinemas)

If you MUST have TV series on this site, like the Sherlock episodes, is there a way to hide them, like Adult Films, so that I don't see them in my PSI films list

thanks
Last edited by Jerky on Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

overrated
5779 Ratings

Post by overrated »

I'm for the inclusion of TV series into criticker but agree it should be a separate recommendation engine from films. Hell if this site stays around long enough why not separate sections for music, books, videogames etc etc. That's hypothetical at this stage but TV is definitely the next step. Surely the best way around the series/season/episode argument is to make it multi-tiered seeing as it will be a new different thing anyway? E.g. You can rank The Simpsons 80/100 and leave it at that, but you wouldn't get the most out of the recommendation system. Within that would be the separate seasons, within that would be the separate episodes (ok maybe that would be going too far initially, but the seasons would be feasible at least).

So it would look like
The Simpsons (80/100)
(Seasons) expand/collapse
- Season 1 (60/100)
(Episodes) expand/collapse
- Episode 1 (60/100)

That way casual users could rank a series without stressing out too much about it, but criticker addicts would be able to get more out of it should they choose.

djross
5326 Ratings

Post by djross »

shebang wrote:Hell if this site stays around long enough why not separate sections for music, books, videogames etc etc.

And from there it is but a short step to world domination.

Also, I like this proposal for "nested" rankings of series, seasons, episodes.

edkrak
3745 Ratings

Post by edkrak »

Am I the only person who thinks that complicating rating system for TV-shows would be more trouble than it's worth? I would be perfectly fine with just allowing TV-series here and rating them like films.

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

edkrak wrote:Am I the only person who thinks that complicating rating system for TV-shows would be more trouble than it's worth?

no you're not. :)

TV+Film-Hub
2822 Ratings

Post by TV+Film-Hub »

We need: T.V. SERIES!

klea
1941 Ratings

Post by klea »

There are already numerous TV shows in here

Some are listed by seris (ie - Black Mirror) & some are listed by the episode (ie - Sherlock & the Mullholland Dr pilot)

Personally, I don't care for tying in tv shows w/ movies as I look for totally different things in the 2 forms of media. That said, either erase the TV shows currently listed or allow all shows to be listed. Half-assing is only serving to annoy both the people for it & against it

Filligan
1576 Ratings

Post by Filligan »

I don't think anyone wants to tie TV in with movies, but rather have it as a separate section of the site we can rate that doesn't affect our movie ratings. I think the shows that currently sneak in do so under the guise of "TV movies", which are technically still movies and permissible, but yes it is being abused.

PeaceAnarchy
7005 Ratings

Post by PeaceAnarchy »

Filligan wrote:I think the shows that currently sneak in do so under the guise of "TV movies", which are technically still movies and permissible, but yes it is being abused.

They're actually sneaking in as mini-series and it's not so much being abused as it is imdb not being very good at classifying things.

chknpk
1836 Ratings

Post by chknpk »

The excessive Porky Pig and Bugs Bunny shorts, among others, are making the site cluttered. Many of these should fall under the simple moniker, wherever it applies: Looney Tunes, Merrie Melodies, Silly Symphonies, etc...

In the never-ending quest to beef up the number of rated "films," a lot of people are taking advantage of certain classification loopholes, which, in turn, is hampering the functionality of the site. Allowing tv series to be rated could do a lot to clean this up.