TV series

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
adgrimes
297 Ratings
Your TCI: na

TV series

Post by adgrimes »

Hey,

First of all... I requested my account was deleted a while back - and it looks like it wasnt... Im actually glad, as I keep coming back to Criticker, as I think it works in a more intelligent way than the other similar sites...

This being said, something that the competition has that Criticker doesnt, is TV series support...

I'd love to see TV series added into the database so it would suggest those too...

Thanks for reading!

/ag

Filligan
1575 Ratings

Re: TV series

Post by Filligan »

This has been suggested several times over in the past and I'm still vastly in support of it.

KGB
1335 Ratings

Post by KGB »

I'd also like to say that despite most users not being in favor of it, I can't really see the problem. Restrictions can be made so that a user can ignore the shows or not have to see them on his rankings list, and a series could have a "(TV series)" next to it as on IMDB (miniseries should have it as well imo). And you can totally rate TV series. I can't see the problem at all.

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

Would the rating be for the series overall or by season/episode?

What if the show is still on the air (it's hard to rate something you haven't seen all of)?

What if you've only seen a handful of episodes?

How would the series cast listing be handled as series regulars come and go and actors make cameo or one-off appearances?

It seems to me that opening up the site to TV shows invites all kinds of other questions that don't apply to rating movies. Criticker is a community about film, and I'd personally prefer to keep it that way. Site staff can barely keep up with the film database submissions as it is.

Hopefully, if they do decide to integrate TV shows, there will be a button to ignore all TV series and their effects on your PSIs/TCIs. It's not something I'm interested in, especially if it compromises how the movie ratings/recommendations work.

</killjoy>

adgrimes
297 Ratings

Post by adgrimes »

Dont forget you can change a rating at any time... So if you decided that you didnt like a series as much as when you first rated it, then change the rating of it...

Rating the TV series overall is what I would prefer... Of course some series get worse/better as they go on, but thats up to the individual user to say "Beginning of a series is worth a 60/100 but the later series is worth 80/100 - therefore I'll give it 70/100"... People know that the ratings they give, affect their TCI's, so its up to them to rate as best they can...
Rating down to episode/season level would just become a nightmare, and I've not come across any other website (IMDB might - but I hate the rating system on IMDB - which is why I started using Criticker/Jinni) that allows rating to the episode level...

/ag

Filligan
1575 Ratings

Post by Filligan »

I would assume if TV shows were integrated into Criticker, there would most definitely be a way to separate them from your film rankings.

I can't imagine many people having the patience to rate a show based on each individual episode, or even season. That's too much unnecessary work. Judging a show based on its overall run is far from impossible, and if anybody disagrees they wouldn't have to rate TV shows in the first place.

CosmicMonkey
1271 Ratings

Post by CosmicMonkey »

I'm definitely in support of this, but only as long as programs on a whole are ranked and not individual episodes, and only if the only shows that are allowed to be in database are the ones that are no longer on the air. Rankings of individual epsiodes can become too cluttered and may not be applicable to serial shows such as The Wire. As well, ongoing shows can change thier course and quality immensely over the course of a single season, and just as people here don't rank films until they've seen it in its entirety, users who rank television programs should be forced to do the same.

Besides, Films and television are two incredibly similar mediums, plus we already rank mini-series on criticker anyways, so I don't see how including television programs is much of a stretch.

MockHamill
1386 Ratings

Post by MockHamill »

Yes being able to rank tv-shows is the feature I miss the most for Criticker. Just make it completly separe from the movie ranking but make it work in the same way.

emtilt
1714 Ratings

Post by emtilt »

I've been using criticker for about five years now, and lately I've been thinking that criticker really needs a TV series feature. TV is important to how people think about filmic media in general, and it is unfortunate to have it totally neglected. The distinction between film and TV is much vaguer than opponents of including TV are making it out to be.

There isn't a perfect way to implement it, but I think something is better than nothing. It would require the least effort to just start allowing them as whole series (like miniseries are treated now). It must, however, be limited to completed shows that are no longer on the air. This approach works perfectly for some series that are more serial in their storylines, limited in scope, and produced continuously by the same people (shows like The Wire, Arrested Development, Battlestar Galactica). It works less well for other, that are more episodic and very in quality from season to season or even episode to episode (The Simpsons, for example, as many have mentioned), but I don't believe having rankings for those will ruin criticker. If there is worry about the problem it will cause for films, simply keep TV separate.

Other, more complicated ways of implementing TV might work even better, but might be difficult to implement. For example, ratings could be allowed for series, seasons, and episodes simultaneously, all of which could be optional, to eliminate ambiguity. This would help a lot, because some shows emphasize each of those as the basic unit of story telling. (For example, Battlestar is roughly a series long story arc; Dexter is roughly season long story arcs; Simpsons is roughly episode long story arcs.) This would lead to issues of clutter on the site, though, so it would require a good deal of thought before implementing.

Ross
2958 Ratings

Post by Ross »

I agree that series would be a nice addition. But i think it would be best to rate individual seasons. Very often quality differs a lot between seasons, and you were to rate all series as a whole, nothing would be truly grate as all series has weaker seasons