Site redesign?

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
TheDenizen
3114 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Site redesign?

Post by TheDenizen »

I'm also a fan of lots of white space. No reason to clutter up a nice clean look with tons of flashing graphics.

Supes
257 Ratings

Post by Supes »

I love criticker's features but the look of the site is awful.
Its a real shame as I see tons of people using letterboxd, which has a fairly basic set of features but looks really nice, criticker just seems stuck in web 1.0 land.

PeaceAnarchy
7005 Ratings

Post by PeaceAnarchy »

Sadly, usability and slick appearance seem to have an inverse relationship on the web. I for one prefer a very useable, if somewhat plain looking, site like criticker than a good looking but unusable mess like letterboxd, though it would be nice to have both.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

the site design it outdated, there´s no other way to say it. Some people like simplicity, others like a bit more "glamour", it´s all about the owners opinion and what the server is able to support.

My opinion is simple ... keep the site simple ( none of that big ass images that most sites use for movie pages.. well, almost all of them go for that these days, and no upper menu ) . in fact, all that needs to have a few changes is the layout itself. For example, our movie rankings browser needs some work. maybe make it bigger and have a thumb of the movie cover before the name, or a swift pop up without mouse click. or a wider left side panel.

for the movie page ( and i´m sorry to post something from other site, it´s not advert, no one uses it anyway but i think the idea works : https://flicktion.net/movie/details/3097

its simple, its good for the eye and it fits the right hand pane that critiker has. this is not to copy, its just an example.

now an exampe NOT to follow : http://movieo.me/movies/pay-the-ghost-mzwrsg

the user page, for me, just needs work on the latest movies seen. the way movies are listed on actors page its a perfect example on how our profile should look =)

http://www.criticker.com/people/Rutger_Hauer/ imagine him has a critiker user :P

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

http://kokeilu.filmsomniac.com/filmsomniacs/Psylunne

just a test site. for example, you dont need those "new" designs filled with color and big ass images like trakt or letterboxd or movietag , simplicity also works. in fact, it works better in my opinion.

Ag0stoMesmer
4943 Ratings

Post by Ag0stoMesmer »

Psylunne wrote:... simplicity also works. in fact, it works better in my opinion.

Compare your own Best of 2015 list in both Criticker and that demo site. I'll take Criticker's 'efficiency' over the big images and expanses of white-space "simplicity" of that -and the others those you've mentioned- every time.

IMHO a better improvement would be resizing (graceful degradation? -been long time since I did web stuff) -for use on tablets and phones- but all-in-one cross-platform-ism is a trend much younger than Criticker, sure it'll come.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Ag0stoMesmer wrote:
Psylunne wrote:... simplicity also works. in fact, it works better in my opinion.

Compare your own Best of 2015 list in both Criticker and that demo site. I'll take Criticker's 'efficiency' over the big images and expanses of white-space "simplicity" of that -and the others those you've mentioned- every time.

IMHO a better improvement would be resizing (graceful degradation? -been long time since I did web stuff) -for use on tablets and phones- but all-in-one cross-platform-ism is a trend much younger than Criticker, sure it'll come.

lol.. been trying to sort my best of 2015 here , and you did it for me, thanks :P

well, that was just an example of simplicity ( not somewhat of a "thing to copy" ) when compared to other new sites that give more importance to visual then the actual content. the ranking browsing in critiker is the place that in my opinion needs work. simple is good, to simple is not so great.

http://trakt.tv/users/pedro/lists/best-movies-of-2015 this is not the way to go, but that design was made for iphones and etc... stuffi dont use for this kind of thing. Some things belong to the "Web" and that´s it.
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/top+ ... 5/pedropt/ also not a bad thing, but they are going the wrong way with the beta design.

Btw, how would i make that list and when people see it, they see my ranking and not the PSI or a blank spot?

Ag0stoMesmer
4943 Ratings

Post by Ag0stoMesmer »

Psylunne wrote:...the ranking browsing in critiker is the place that in my opinion needs work. simple is good, to simple is not so great.

I see, the Rank more Films page, I already prefer this to the icheck one because synopsis can help jog memory, maybe making the images half size and the 'selection from rankings' box only appear if a genre filter is selected would help?

Psylunne wrote:Btw, how would i make that list and when people see it, they see my ranking and not the PSI or a blank spot?

I don't think that's possible, being able to toggle ratings between who shared and who's viewing the list -maybe even a drop down to switch between kumpels or something- would be cool though.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Ag0stoMesmer wrote:
Psylunne wrote:
I see, the Rank more Films page,

that.
That is how i would love to see my movies =)

stuie299
1450 Ratings

Post by stuie299 »

IMO just doing subtle changes to accommodate for TV would be amazing.