Organize the Recommendations better

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
MmzHrrdb
Your TCI: na

Organize the Recommendations better

Post by MmzHrrdb »

I think it would be much easier to find good films to watch if when someone looked at their recommendations, they could see the top movies they might like in a list by order of PSI, rather than random recommendations that show up in different genres. It would be easier to find the actual Top movies that a person might like.

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Re: Organize the Recommendations better

Post by mpowell »

A few people have made this suggestion, and it's something we plan on looking at soon. We working on a way to keep a full list of PSIs up-to-date, and after that is complete, a better organization of recommendations will be much easier.

Thanks for the suggestion!

oddball
419 Ratings

Post by oddball »

Okay..... OK,...GREAT!!!!

But please do tell me when. I've been lurking on these forums for quite a while.... and this thing has already been suggested at least a dozen times! And you'd always say: Soon!! Don't get me wrong... I love this site, I appreciate the work you put in it and I really like the layout and feel of this site... IT IS A FUKKEN GREAT SITE!

But when is soon??! WHEN??? When will soon be? When is 'SOON' ??!

All that's keeping me from really starting to use this site is the absence of a browsable recommendations list and the fucked up tier system [you know what I'm talking about]. But I really want to start using this site.... I'm getting very sick of movielens and all it's flaws... and it's HORRIBLE design. They do/did some very important things right but that site is also very shitty in other aspects. So please do fix this soon. Pretty please really soon. I 'm in no position to demand things but please hurry up with the recommendations thingy.

I also don't really understand what's so hard about that... especially since we're able to generate PSIs when viewing all movies alphabetically!? Why is it so hard/time extensive to offer us users a browsable complete recommendations list? I mean it would be easy to limit the lenght of the list based on how many movies you've already rated.... Movielens does that and IMHO it's a pretty sweet move since it also motivates to rate more movies.

And having control over the tiers is also a must! I just don't watch equally many bad movies as good ones.... and I also absolutely do not want to :mrgreen: . Please give the users enough credit to be able to decide what goes into tier 10 and what goes into tier 1! And please also bring back the ability to drag and drop movies around within our ratings... If I remember correctly someone said that that feature was once available and then just wasn't anymore. I wasn't there at that time but if that's true then... please do bring it back. Although,.... if the tier function is fixed it might even not be needed that bad anymore because we wouldn't have to re-rate our movies anymore, just so that the tier thingy works halfways right again.

Seriously dude... This is a great site with LOADS of potential but those two things really do make everything that's good about it sour... very sour,... actually so sour that I won't use it until those issues are fixed. But I tell you,... I am really getting tired of waiting because I do want to use this site....... sooner than soon.

So please hurry up.

Thanks.

Zaltys
1207 Ratings

Post by Zaltys »

I can see how it'd take loads of resources to automatically generate new PSIs for all users, but maybe simply allowing the active users to manually regenerate all of their PSIs (while keeping track of their highest PCIs) would solve the problem? Maybe something that is only usable once per few hours, so that it wouldn't be too much of a burden for the servers? I've seen that used in the past on some collaborative filtering sites that had limited server capacity, and it seemed to work out ok for them

Anyway, there's already the "Your Best TCIs"-listing. Couldn't similar method be used to keep track our best PSIs? Ah well, impossible to know from this end, so I'm probably talking nonsense.

Furthermore, seconded: Criticker is nonetheless currently the best movie recommender, even with the flaws.

oddball
419 Ratings

Post by oddball »

Yes great idea! Only supply when there is demand. That should work.

So how about it mpowell? Wouldn't that work out just dandy?

And yeah... I have to agree on your agreeing :mrgreen:

CRITICKER PWNS!!

Quicky
786 Ratings

Post by Quicky »

oddball wrote:[...]And please also bring back the ability to drag and drop movies around within our ratings... If I remember correctly someone said that that feature was once available and then just wasn't anymore. I wasn't there at that time but if that's true then... please do bring it back. [...]

I would like to second this request. I'm sure there is a perfectly workable and logic way to recalculate ratings after you drag and drop. Usually when I rate a movie, I primarily look at how I would rate it compared with other movies I've rated. Sometimes afterwards, I find that I want to swap movies because my opinion has changed or because I really rated a movie too high or too low. A drag-and-drop functionality would make fixing this very straightforward.

cagedwisdom
2090 Ratings

Post by cagedwisdom »

I would like to second Quicky's seconding. That would be the best thing ever.

td888
3955 Ratings

Post by td888 »

me too

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

This functionality never existed in the way described. A long time ago, we did allow people to nudge their rankings up and down by one point, but scrapped that in favor of direct score editing from the Film List page.

I've added the idea of dragging and dropping from the film-list to our list of things to look at, but it would probably be pretty far into the future -- just to set expectations. It sounds really cool, but would be a nightmare to implement in a logical way that doesn't piss people off.

And given the hugeness of our enhancements list (most of which are far easier), I can't imagine us getting to something like this anytime soon. But, it's been added to the list, all the same.

cagedwisdom
2090 Ratings

Post by cagedwisdom »

I can see how a litteral drag and drop system could be hard to implement.

Editing scores can be a total hassle from the all your rankings list though. You have to click each score, wait for a small window to load, click edit score, then submit, and wait for the whole page to reload. If you could just click the score and immediately be able to enter a new score, and then have that film just jump up/down the list to it's new place rather than reloading the whole page (for people like me with semi-slow internet connection it's particularly annoying), that would be great. It's so time consuming to re-rank bunches of films the way it is now. The nudging up and down might work too, so long as you don't have to reload the entire damn page for each film.

I know something like this would be hard to do though, my basic knowledge of web coding tells me that much. Not really expecting anything, just throwing it out there. :?