"Submit a new film to Criticker" page

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
Hyomil
663 Ratings
Your TCI: na

"Submit a new film to Criticker" page

Post by Hyomil »

1) When you use the back button to correct an error, the image and embed codes are lost.

2) There shouldn't be any need for users to get the embed code. At listal.com, you just submit the Youtube URL and it extracts the embed code automatically.

3) The IMDb field should work just by pasting in the URL, not requiring users to edit it down to just the numbers.

4) Add a Country field to go with each AKA so that users can see titles in their own language when browsing through titles. This is by far the most annoying thing about the site: going through your "Your Films in Common" list and then seeing a bunch of them in a foreign language so you have to click on them to see what the English AKA is.

5) Similarly, allow a poster and trailer to be uploaded for each country. And for trailers a field for spoken language and subtitle language and whether its HD (and thus should be watched on Youtube rather than in the embed window).

6) Allow users to vote on which trailer is most representative of the movie and to link to it in their mini-review. Then sort the trailers by those with the most votes.

7) Allow promotional videos, promo photos, and screenshots to be added.

8) Add a field for directly related movies (sequels, spinoffs, etc.).

9) Add a Plot Keywords field like IMDb has.

10) Add a field for links to professional reviews and databases.

11) Add a field to indicate known DVD/Blu-ray releases in each country and a link to the DVDCompare.net page if there is one.

12) Add a field for movies the user feels are similar to this movie and allow users to vote on these. Its not enough for users to include similar movies in their mini-review (which may be too short anyway). If you just go looking for similar movies, you don't want to comb through reviews looking for that.

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Re: "Submit a new film to Criticker" page

Post by mpowell »

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions! Regarding some of them:

1) The embed code shouldn't be lost when you hit back -- we'll look into that.
2) This is actually already listed as an enhancement request
3) I'm pretty sure you can just input the IMDB URL, not just the ID, into the field.

The others are mostly about adding extra fields to the film database -- we do plan on expanding the data stored in certain ways (most importantly adding "language"), and all of the ones you've suggested are ideas we're considering, too. Ultimately, we don't plan on ending up as a second "IMDB", and so are being careful about what data we include.

Hyomil
663 Ratings

Post by Hyomil »

mpowell wrote:1) The embed code shouldn't be lost when you hit back -- we'll look into that.

To clarify, when you go back (and I mean using the Back button on the page itself rather than the browser's Back button) the embed code is there--it just doesn't get submitted when you make your corrections and re-submit, and you get the "No Trailer" message. And after multiple corrections, the embed code isn't there at all.

2) This is actually already listed as an enhancement request

Is this list posted somewhere?

3) I'm pretty sure you can just input the IMDB URL, not just the ID, into the field.

Yes, I see now that you can, but I assumed, since it said IMDb ID on the submission page, that you had to edit it down to just the numbers, and that was rejected, saying it had to be in the form with the "tt" in front of it. Since the full URL can be used, and it does say "IMDb URL" on the confirmation page, it should say "IMDb URL" on the submission page.

Ultimately, we don't plan on ending up as a second "IMDB", and so are being careful about what data we include.

Right, much data is already at other sites and could just be linked to. Links could be limited to select sites that had been checked out as being legitimate to prevent spam.

edkrak
3745 Ratings

Post by edkrak »

Hyomil wrote:12) Add a field for movies the user feels are similar to this movie and allow users to vote on these. Its not enough for users to include similar movies in their mini-review (which may be too short anyway). If you just go looking for similar movies, you don't want to comb through reviews looking for that.

That would be awesome.

cagedwisdom
2090 Ratings

Post by cagedwisdom »

4) Add a Country field to go with each AKA so that users can see titles in their own language when browsing through titles. This is by far the most annoying thing about the site: going through your "Your Films in Common" list and then seeing a bunch of them in a foreign language so you have to click on them to see what the English AKA is.

5) Similarly, allow a poster and trailer to be uploaded for each country. And for trailers a field for spoken language and subtitle language and whether its HD (and thus should be watched on Youtube rather than in the embed window).

I personally prefer to always see the title of films in their original language, though I can understand that one might want this. Although it is a potentially bad idea if the language displayed is pulled from the user's location (be it location listed in the profile or location the site sees the user browsing from). So if this is to be implemented, be sure to add preferred language as a separate setting.

I certainly don't want my Criticker to be full of terrible Norwegian posters with equally terrible Norwegian film titles and taglines. I find them condescending enough in real life and I don't want to encounter them on the web as well. When IMDb implemented this system it was a nightmare until I figured out how to change my language settings. A friend of mine went to Spain, browsed IMDb a bit, encountered nothing but Spanish titles and upon returning to Norway was unable to change it back until it finally reverted a month or so later. Absolute madness.

zae
2154 Ratings

Post by zae »

Regarding the language thing, I think having just "Original language title" and "English title" should be enough. I don't think we need the ability to enter German or Finnish titles for every Hollywood movie in the database.

Just make separate fields in the database for the two (rather than just using the AKA fields as it is now - The AKA fields should still be kept though as some films can have multiple english titles), so you can consistently display one or the other, and add an option on the users' preference page to choose between displaying the English or the original title by default.

roobee
182 Ratings

Post by roobee »

I agree about the ID. was annoying having my submission continuously rejected until I realized I needed to include the tt