Exclude a certain genre from a ranking list

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
MustUnsee
2607 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Exclude a certain genre from a ranking list

Post by MustUnsee »

Just now I was trying to view all of the feature-length films a certain person had watched, on their fl/user page. But I'm unable to manipulate it to not include shorts. The only ability is to check off everything but "shorts", and as far as I can tell the only two ways to play with the "&filter=" toy are "_y" (for "this AND that" within the same category) or "_l" (for "this OR that" within the same category, inclusively).

Are there more tricks hidden within the syntax that just aren't stated? It would be neat to know. If not, might I suggest an option to exclude. (There are other fun things one might be able to do, like an exclusive OR in-category, interaction between categories other than "is from 1990-1992 AND genre is animation", and other random trickery ("from 1990-1992 or from 1996-1997", "genre is an animation-thriller or a short"). But whereas those are tertiary, the exclusion thing would be most useful.

Alternatively, in the vein of either being able to choose "person x's list of ranked movies minus those entries in my own list of ranked movies", make the ability to show "person x's list of ranked movies, minus the current list generated with filters". Stuff like that. That might be more powerful and come in handy more than my other suggestion.

td888
3955 Ratings

Re: Exclude a certain genre from a ranking list

Post by td888 »

This has been asked many times before.

I wish I could exclude documentaries and drama....

EbelC
3529 Ratings

Post by EbelC »

td888 wrote:This has been asked many times before.

And stand-up comedies. I think the exclude option should be available, and the genre "Stand-up comedy" added to exclude it. I'm tired of them all being overrated and in the highest position when I want to check films. It's a bit boring to check everytime all new stand-up comedies added and having to ignore them one by one.

lisa-
1907 Ratings

Post by lisa- »

of course, checking everything but shorts won't work anyway, because most shorts will have other genres associated with them.

i really would like to be able to exclude shorts, yes.

mattorama12
3086 Ratings

Post by mattorama12 »

Komond wrote:
td888 wrote:This has been asked many times before.

And stand-up comedies. I think the exclude option should be available, and the genre "Stand-up comedy" added to exclude it. I'm tired of them all being overrated and in the highest position when I want to check films. It's a bit boring to check everytime all new stand-up comedies added and having to ignore them one by one.

I also like the idea of adding a genre for stand-up.

lisa-
1907 Ratings

Post by lisa- »

on genres, having a 'silent' category would be great too.

Ag0stoMesmer
4943 Ratings

Post by Ag0stoMesmer »

+1 for stand-up as a genre

BadCosmonaut
4401 Ratings

Post by BadCosmonaut »

I came here to make a thread about this if one hadn't been created already :D

+1 big time. I have absolutely no desire to watch documentaries. I'd really like to be able to exclude them. Let's look at my list of top psi rated movies, and I'll show you why...

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

All the ones with the red circle are documentaries. Yeah, I don't want to watch any of those. That's almost a third (18 movies out of 60). For a site based on movie ratings and recommendations, this seems like a pretty basic feature they are missing :) :roll: :)

chknpk
1836 Ratings

Post by chknpk »

An "exclusion" option would be advantageous, mostly for reasons already mentioned. Because stand-up belongs to that group of genres which are least favored as part of the film recommendation engine, I would also like to suggest that those titles be labeled. Instead of ignoring one by one, I would enjoy to be rid of them in one fell swoop. As I dwell on this prospect, which would clean things up quite a bit, I can't help but feel that stand-up comedies and television shows are inexplicably tied together in the way of controversy. Many argue that television shows do not belong on the site because they are not the spit and image of Film, in a strict sense, which is a fair enough point. But it is my view, and maybe I am overlooking something, that stand-up comedy seems to diverge much more from this Film ideal than can be said for television. For this reason, I feel that it would be worthwhile to introduce the stand-up genre to Criticker.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

BadCosmonaut wrote:I came here to make a thread about this if one hadn't been created already :D

Me too!

When I'm filtering through my rankings, especially for older decades, I want to see what movies I have seen that aren't shorts. It would be great if I could sort through that by excluding any film where one of the genres listed is "short".

Edit- And yeah, agreed with "stand-up" as a new genre.