Main country

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
lisa-
1907 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Main country

Post by lisa- »

according to criticker, these are my ten top french films:

1. melancholia (denmark)
2. the turin horse (hungary)
3. dancer in the dark (denmark)
4. underground (yugoslavia)
5. mulholland drive (united states)
6. breaking the waves (denmark)
7. ran (japan)
8. dogville (denmark)
9. the idiots (denmark)
10. irréversible (france)

now, according to what i think is the generally accepted main country for each of these films, only one of them is actually french. the suggestion, then, is to separate the countries into two groups - the main country, and the production countries. then in the film database, one would be able to choose to filter by the main country only, or all of them.

of course, a few films really are international, but i think it would be best to draw a line and make a decision.

so, there. thanks. :)

edkrak
3745 Ratings

Re: Main country

Post by edkrak »

Is it really that easy to make such distinction?
Let's take your first example: Melancholia

Language - English
Place of shooting - Sweden
Director - Danish
Number of Danish production companies - 1 out of 6
Number of Danish actors - 1 out of 18 (only Jesper Christensen I think, did I miss anybody?)

It isn't that clear to me that this is a mainly Danish film.

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

The point is definitely taken. A lot of this will be resolved by our plans to introduce "language" as a filter option. You'll be able to search on films that are primarily in French or Danish... it's not fail-proof, of course (there are French films from Canada, too) but will go a long way to address this.

lisa-
1907 Ratings

Post by lisa- »

yeah, that should help a lot, if one filters by language and country at the same time.

mattorama12
3094 Ratings

Post by mattorama12 »

mpowell wrote:The point is definitely taken. A lot of this will be resolved by our plans to introduce "language" as a filter option. You'll be able to search on films that are primarily in French or Danish... it's not fail-proof, of course (there are French films from Canada, too) but will go a long way to address this.

I agree that the "main country" would be very difficult to accurately implement, and most likely prohibitively so. The filter-by-language feature should largely solve the issue, though, so I'm very much looking forward to it.