video games please

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
lucidquasar
1704 Ratings
Your TCI: na

video games please

Post by lucidquasar »

I love using Critiker and Netflix's best guess ratings to help me optimize my movie watching experience. I allows me to ignore marketing and hype and just allow the algorithms to make the choices for me while allowing me to improve it with more ratings over time. I love playing games too but find myself hardly playing them because I don't have a good system metric in place to logically pick the next one to play. I have been searching for years for something that can predict what score I'd give a video game and have concluded that it does not exist. My only hope is that Criticker will someday apply it's system to games and allow me to engage with the medium with the same enjoyment as I do with movies. Please consider adding games to this wonderful site. Thank you.

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Re: video games please

Post by mpowell »

Video Games are something we'd love to expand to, one day... impossible to say when that might happen, but it is something we're thinking about!

CosmicMonkey
1271 Ratings

Post by CosmicMonkey »

I hardly play video games anymore, but holy crap, a criticker for video games is something that I've wanted ever since I joined this site. I can see there being some opposition to this though, since video games are a fundamentally different medium from film, unlike, say, television which is just a difference in format.

lisa-
1907 Ratings

Post by lisa- »

rateyourmusic is introducing a video game site soon ("glitchwave") and it's probably gonna be the best thing out there. it probably won't quite predict your score, but otherwise it's a very solid interface.

Massey23
0 Ratings

Post by Massey23 »

Video games may be a very different medium from movies but then it would be an excellent idea to add games to a site like this - I'm sure none of us here would complain! :D I'm aware of the fact that Glitchwave is due to release sometime this year and am eagerly looking forward to it. It's supposed to be a pretty comprehensive video game database, from the news doing the rounds now. Just recently read that Sonemic, Cinemos and Glitchwave will be closely integrated with one another - so you can have individual 'music profile', 'film profile' and 'game profile'. Any possibility of doing something even remotely similar with Criticker? Otherwise I'll be stuck to playing kids' stuff like these virtual games my daughter plays instead of doing something worthwhile! :|

Velvet Crowe
2626 Ratings

Post by Velvet Crowe »

CosmicMonkey wrote:I hardly play video games anymore, but holy crap, a criticker for video games is something that I've wanted ever since I joined this site. I can see there being some opposition to this though, since video games are a fundamentally different medium from film, unlike, say, television which is just a difference in format.

Funny you say this given the recent influx of video games trying to be films.

Velvet Crowe
2626 Ratings

Post by Velvet Crowe »

mpowell wrote:Video Games are something we'd love to expand to, one day... impossible to say when that might happen, but it is something we're thinking about!

I'm curious - what's exactly stopping you? It doesn't seem that hard of a feature to implement.

SimonJones96
477 Ratings

Post by SimonJones96 »

I stumbled across Criticker because of my interest in film, and it has been such a wonderful experience. The thing is, Critickers recomendation system is such a powerful tool that beats just about anything out there. I'd certainly love integration of video games - but why stop there? If we're doing video games then books, albums and theatre would be more than welcome too! The idea of using criticker as a universal platform for rating and reviewing would be incredible.

If this was done, I'd like to see some sort of segregation of mediums though.

MacSwell
2722 Ratings

Post by MacSwell »

Please never add video games.

philamental
1717 Ratings

Post by philamental »

SimonJones96 wrote:but why stop there? If we're doing video games then books, albums and theatre would be more than welcome too! The idea of using criticker as a universal platform for rating and reviewing would be incredible.

If this was done, I'd like to see some sort of segregation of mediums though.

The last point would be critical for me. I have zero interest in television, so I find it mildly annoying that I sometimes have to manually filter out tv shows when using parts of the site. I also think the recommendation system would need to segregate to be truly effective as I'm not sure that just because I like the same films as person x, I would like also like the same books, albums etc. I would likely have different groups of like minded individuals for each.