The PSI/TCI System is a bit flawed

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
JetoonH
600 Ratings
Your TCI: na

The PSI/TCI System is a bit flawed

Post by JetoonH »

Hello and I am sorry to post this as I have seen countless other threads saying the same, but I am doing this because I may have a modest alternative.

First, I must say thank you to the creators for their idea - at first I started using the website with very enthusiasm as I really liked the idea, but as I continued browsing I found that the movie recommendation system (PSI's) were not predictable of my real future rating, by huge differences, at so many times. The reason for this I believe is the fact that the problem is at the Tier system - the algorithm only puts in a Tier 10% of my overall ratings. I think the system works at most times poorly for me because I don't have very much variation at my scores expressed in percentages for every Tier, as I happen to have watched some great movies in the past, but now I only find some 'good' movies or decent ones at best and there's not that much variation in my scores now causing movies that compared to my favorites of all times are terrible being now in 3 or 4 Tier (instead of 1 or 2) because I can't find that many awesome movies. Let's say I am a person that only watches good movies and using IMDb, Metacritic and other services all my life I was satisfied with what the cinema had to offer. Now, let's say I rated some of those movies 100/100 (awesome), 90/100 (great), 80/100 (very good), and 70/100 (good). Those in the 70/100 will probably be in the 1 Tier, and even though they may be some very good movies but Terrible compared to my other movies, still to another person these movies should have to be seen as "Good" movies that I find watchable and enjoyable, and not Terrible and a waste of time.

I know you simply cannot use the rating to be a Tier, since different numbers may mean different values to different people, but I am suggesting to use adequate quips to every Tier, and if a quip is precise and expressed in a very well way, people would find those words having the same meanings and rating movies accordingly to them. For example, from Tier 10 to 1, to be equipped with remarks to 'explain' what a specific rating means, i.e. 10 Tier (Your Favorite Movies), 9 Tier (Awesome Movies - I know, a bit silly and cheap, but if you consult someone professional he might give you some better alternative remarks as to how can people with words express best the 1 to 10 Tiers). The ratings would still have the option from 0 to 100, so in a Tier 10 there would still be movies rated from 91 to 100, if a user wants to.
But no matter the person, everyone would know what the remarks mean and would know where to put the movies they watched accordingly, if remarks are precise and well-written. I don't assume that this is flawless, but I think that there has to be changes, and for it to happen you should not consider that it touches the heart of Criticker, since the idea is still the same, we'd still have PSI's and TCI's, but only with slightly different algorithm. I leave it to you to consider this or some other alternative someone has, but I really think there has to be some changes.

BadCosmonaut
4422 Ratings

Re: The PSI/TCI System is a bit flawed

Post by BadCosmonaut »

The tiers already have quips.

Awesome, great, good, alright, not good, terrible...

How is your suggestion different from how it already is?

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

hi

my brain sort of died while reading, but if my tiers were messed up, I would probably rate a bunch of low PSI movies even though I hadn't watched them. i think that would shift the percentages about.

90sCoffee
2243 Ratings

Post by 90sCoffee »

I agree with this and I feel like it's easily solvable by making tier 1 and tier 10 worth 5% each of your overall ratings rather than each tier being worth 10% equally.

I mean, your favourite filsm are like 1 out of every 20 films you watch not 1 out of every 10. And not 1 out of every 10 movies you watch is bad enough to be tier 1, closer to 1 out of every 20 (in fact even less nowadays since we have online reviews).

Tiers 7 and 8 should be worth closer to 15% each.