New Charts and Statistics: Sponsor-Only

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
mpowell
1201 Ratings
Your TCI: na

New Charts and Statistics: Sponsor-Only

Post by mpowell »

We've totally overhauled the charts which we make available to sponsors, using the latest APIs from Google to enhance their look and functionality. Here's an overview of the biggest changes.

Two New Genre Charts

You can now see which are the genres you tend to rank highest, as well as those which you tend to watch most often, with two new bar charts.

More Detailed Genre Breakdown

We now include a side chart which shows with a sorted +/- percentage, how many films you've seen in each genre, in comparison to the "average" user at Criticker. Invaluable for knowing which genres you tend to favor. If you're a sponsor, go check it out now!

"Top 100" Charts

We used to have a section called "Completion Percentages" -- phrasing which we always found a little awkward and unhelpful. We've rebranded this as the "Top 100s". Although it's the same concept at heart, we've totally overhauled the presentation. This is now a bar chart which shows you how many of the Most Popular 100 films you've seen in each decade, and year. Underneath each chart, you'll find a list of the top 100 films in that year/decade, ordered by popularity, and filterable on whether or not you've seen it.

How many of the top 100 films of 2004 have you seen? Funny you should ask -- we now have an easy way for you to find out, and see which films you're missing!

If you're not yet a sponsor, this is a great time to think about helping to support Criticker! These charts are just one of the reasons to upgrade your account -- in addition, you'll get full nightly rebuilds of your TCIs and PSIs, so that your recommendations will never go out of date, and access to an ads-free version of the site. And you'd be helping us to survive -- without our sponsors, Criticker wouldn't be able to continue.

quartier
1519 Ratings

Re: New Charts and Statistics: Sponsor-Only

Post by quartier »

WOW! THAT'S HUGE! I pitched the average tier by genre a few months ago, so happy to fnially see it. :D

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

quartier wrote:WOW! THAT'S HUGE! I pitched the average tier by genre a few months ago, so happy to fnially see it. :D

Yes, thanks for making that suggestion ... glad you like the new change!

Matthew Parkinson
4112 Ratings

Post by Matthew Parkinson »

It's giving me a "Warning: Division by zero in /home/critic/public_html/stats/genre_pie.php on line 134" error on the main charts page (genre).

Edit: Also, for the new "Top 100," it now includes TV shows and short films again. Can we exclude anything other than movies (like before), or create a "movie-only" one?

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

Matthew Parkinson wrote:It's giving me a "Warning: Division by zero in /home/critic/public_html/stats/genre_pie.php on line 134" error on the main charts page (genre).

Shoot, okay, we'll look at that very soon, and let you know when it's fixed.

Matthew Parkinson wrote:Edit: Also, for the new "Top 100," it now includes TV shows and short films again. Can we exclude anything other than movies (like before), or create a "movie-only" one?

Fair enough -- I'm actually surprised that's not already the case! We'll make that update as well.

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

The "Warning: Division By Zero" problem should now be taken care of -- and we also tweaked the "Top 100" lists to only display films. Thanks for alerting us to the problems!

Matthew Parkinson
4112 Ratings

mpowell wrote:The "Warning: Division By Zero" problem should now be taken care of -- and we also tweaked the "Top 100" lists to only display films. Thanks for alerting us to the problems!

The error is fixed. Thanks!

The Top 100 is still ... iffy. On the "Refine by Year" portion of the page, it's still accounting for the ones that should now be excluded. If you click on a specific year, it'll give you the right list, but the numbers don't correlate to those under the "refine by year."

Example: My 2014. I've seen all 100 of the Top 100. The Refine by Year says I'm missing one, so I click on 2014 and its films show up. All 100 have rankings. I click on "Only Unranked" and nothing shows up.

Hope that helps.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Oh! this is one of my favorite things ( eve though it misses just a few more stats ). lt me check my wallet....

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

Matthew Parkinson wrote:The Top 100 is still ... iffy. On the "Refine by Year" portion of the page, it's still accounting for the ones that should now be excluded. If you click on a specific year, it'll give you the right list, but the numbers don't correlate to those under the "refine by year."

Can you check this again? I think we might have fixed it now.

Matthew Parkinson
4112 Ratings

mpowell wrote:
Matthew Parkinson wrote:The Top 100 is still ... iffy. On the "Refine by Year" portion of the page, it's still accounting for the ones that should now be excluded. If you click on a specific year, it'll give you the right list, but the numbers don't correlate to those under the "refine by year."

Can you check this again? I think we might have fixed it now.

Yep. Looks great. Thanks!