Criticker search

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
spacefloh
2565 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Criticker search

Post by spacefloh »

Everyone here want to rate a movie. But when i search for it, sometimes it is not possible to find it - eighter wrong naming (e.g wrong first international title & international title is not set in the aka section), wrong imdb link (from early imdb ratings),...

After creating a new movie (https://www.criticker.com/?sf=newfilm), and putting much effort in pasting in all correct information, i must find out that just one of the criteria above was wrong in our criticker database AND that the movie already exists. And so, all the effort is obsolete.

My kind request therefore:

Please enable searching for imdb-ID, that would solve all that problems above.
Also for standard movies a "take all relevant imdb information&poster from imdb-page"-button would be nice.

Thanks.

MacSwell
2706 Ratings

Re: Criticker search

Post by MacSwell »

^ I'm not sure that's a good idea. Often casts are listed in alphabetical order or in order of appearance on IMDB, meaning the main actors from the film won't appear but rather a bunch of extras or very minor actors, which clearly isn't ideal. Lots of posters on IMDB are pretty crappy quality too.

Every now and then there will be one that's already on the site when you try to submit it. I've experienced it quite a few times. It's somewhat annoying but just chalk it up to bad luck.

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

Moved from General Discussion to Feature Requests

spacefloh wrote:Please enable searching for imdb-ID, that would solve all that problems above.

This is actually already possible. You can put an IMDB id into the search field (tt#######), and if there's an exact match, it will return that film.

spacefloh wrote:Also for standard movies a "take all relevant imdb information&poster from imdb-page"-button would be nice.

Thanks for the suggestion. We can see that would be a time-saver, but a "Scrape IMDB" button is not something that would probably be well-received by them, so I don't think we'll be implementing this. Also because of the concerns that Maaxwell mentioned.

mattorama12
3086 Ratings

Post by mattorama12 »

mpowell wrote:
This is actually already possible. You can put an IMDB id into the search field (tt#######), and if there's an exact match, it will return that film.

This is useful, but it's sort of a hidden feature. Maybe it makes sense to add IMDB id as part of the dropdown menu so that people are alerted they can search by imdb id? Maybe it's a small enough use case that it doesn't make sense to add it, but it's a thought.

spacefloh
2565 Ratings

Post by spacefloh »

Thanks for informing about that feature. It's just the waste of time we loose by double-entering a movie that already exists (instead of adding and rating real new movies). But i see, it's an effort that can be avoided. I strongly recommend to make searching by ID "official".

Regarding "Scrape IMDB" - i would recommend it for standardized information, like Movie Name, Year, Director, AKA Names, ...; Actors i would let out, or better, take the "Stars" in the head section, or demand 2-3 main actors to be identified by the user.

spacefloh
2565 Ratings

Post by spacefloh »

Anyway. thanks for the effort in the criticker platform you gave and give :)