[Filter] Only show movies published after 19XX

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
spaddex
115 Ratings
Your TCI: na

[Filter] Only show movies published after 19XX

Post by spaddex »

Feels like there should be a post somewhere around here about this, but I couldn't find any so I'm starting a new thread :)

To the point! The reason I use Criticker, is to get new recommendations based on what i like. I assume that's one of the major reasons for most people, but I could be wrong. However, I'm not interested in movies made in the 1960 or whatever, so filtering out movies to only show movies from the 90's and later would be nice. Could look something like this:

Show movies from year: _____ Until: _____

Or something like that. With a filter like that, you could easily filter out, let's say about 50% of the "noise" (IE the irrelevant, but recommended movies), which would greatly enhance the service or criticker. :)

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Re: [Filter] Only show movies published after 19XX

Post by mpowell »

Thanks for writing, and welcome to the forum!

We do offer this filter on the Film Database page, but I think you're talking about a general "site-wide" filter, so that you never see certain types of movies. This is an idea we've had kicking around for awhile... but it's something we'd have to be very careful about implementing. Part of the joy of Criticker is discovering films that you'd never have considered, and we're nervous about doing anything to endanger that. But, it is something we've got on our list of possible ways to improve the site in the future.

philamental
1717 Ratings

Post by philamental »

I expect the following would be an example of me wanting to have my cake as well as eat it, but for what it's worth, I would also like to be able to set permanent filters on my recommendations, however I wouldn't want the films that were filtered out hidden from me in the rest of the site. I experienced this in the past when I ignored a film because I didn't want to watch it and it was a regular recommendation. I then found that when viewing collections, any ignored films are permanently hidden so the film just didn't exist to me any more on the site, which is something I dislike.

So if possible, films filtered from recommendations, yes, from the entire site experience, no.

spaddex
115 Ratings

Post by spaddex »

mpowell wrote:Thanks for writing, and welcome to the forum!

We do offer this filter on the Film Database page, but I think you're talking about a general "site-wide" filter, so that you never see certain types of movies. This is an idea we've had kicking around for awhile... but it's something we'd have to be very careful about implementing. Part of the joy of Criticker is discovering films that you'd never have considered, and we're nervous about doing anything to endanger that. But, it is something we've got on our list of possible ways to improve the site in the future.

Yeah, I was talking about a site-wide, permanent (or, until your turn it off that is) solution. However, that's because I didn't know there was this other "Film database". Was not hard finding it when specifically looking for it, but for someone who wants to sort by PSI and filter year (most people, I assume), it's not that intuitive.

However, the "Create Your Own Recommendation"-feature is really nice. Making that a full-screener and you're in bussiness ;)
https://imgur.com/CrZUtVQ

MacSwell
2706 Ratings

Post by MacSwell »

I only rank full-length feature films - no documentaries, shorts, TV shows, TV movies etc.

It would be cool to have some kind of way of filtering all of those out, but I understand that it's probably a very difficult thing to implement.

lshawmcminn
182 Ratings

Post by lshawmcminn »

PSI should decrease by 1 for every year older than the users age or something.

Seriously my feed is >75% old films it is really annoying.