TV shows?

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
Xorlium
186 Ratings
Your TCI: na

TV shows?

Post by Xorlium »

Hey everyone,

This has probably been suggested, but I couldn't find it.
Maybe Criticker should support TV shows too? I mean, how hard could it be, just add TV shows as if they were movies... no?

Or does anyone know a television show recommendation engine? I couldn't find one on google.

Thanks!
Xorlium

PeaceAnarchy
7005 Ratings

Re: TV shows?

Post by PeaceAnarchy »

My problem with that would be that most shows can be pretty uneven from season to season, and often from episode to episode. I could discuss what shows I enjoy or dislike, but I'd find it pretty hard to give them a rating, and it's a pretty different medium from film. One thing I would suggest, if such a change is ever made, is that it be possible to filter all TV shows out entirely.

cagedwisdom
2090 Ratings

Post by cagedwisdom »

I would love a TV Show recommendation engine, because TV Shows are just as close to my heart as film. Also, it's harder for me than most people to know what shows to watch because I only have 3 Norwegian channels that carry only shitty shows so I have to buy most of what I watch on DVD or download it. It's hard to know what to look for.

If this is included it would have to be kept aside from the movie rankings though, I think. Someone who likes the same films won't necessarily like the same TV shows.

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

This is something we have listed under the "possible future expansion" category, along with games, music and books. We'd love to get to it, and can definitely agree that it'd be highly popular. The factor, though, is time and resources -- neither of which we have!

Maybe we'll hit the lottery soon.

Filligan
1576 Ratings

Post by Filligan »

My problem with that would be that most shows can be pretty uneven from season to season, and often from episode to episode.

I'd figure the best way to rate a TV show is rate the seasons, then the average of each season's score becomes the show's overall score. It can't be that hard to rate a single season of a show. No one cares if you missed an episode. And rating every episode is just too much work.

Anyway, I'd love to see Criticker expand into TV, music, gaming, and even books.

Quicky
786 Ratings

Post by Quicky »

mpowell wrote:This is something we have listed under the "possible future expansion" category, along with games, music and books.

I WANT GAMES! I WANT GAMES! I WANT GAMES!... I am totally lost right now in the gaming landscape... I need TCI's and PSI's to guide me... **sniff**

Zaltys
1207 Ratings

Post by Zaltys »

mpowell wrote:This is something we have listed under the "possible future expansion" category, along with games, music and books.

There are more than enough music recommenders already, but it would be grand to finally get accurate recommendations for TV shows and games...

Filligan
1576 Ratings

Post by Filligan »

Quicky wrote:I WANT GAMES! I WANT GAMES! I WANT GAMES!... I am totally lost right now in the gaming landscape... I need TCI's and PSI's to guide me... **sniff**

I second this immensely.

coffee
2376 Ratings

Post by coffee »

I don't want to be the Grouchy Smurf but I must say.. Now, Criticker is only about cinema. And in the future, as a user, I want it to be only about cinema. I love things the way they are now. IMO the expansion the site needs is more and more films, more actor and director pages, more tags etc.

Spunkie
5481 Ratings

Post by Spunkie »

Agreed. I don't want my ratings get mixed up with other components, it would distrupt the way they work. If this is dealt in a way that these expansion become other departments of the site, it'd work better.

I'm not looking for game reccomendations, but I would love to remember all the games I played in C-64, Amiga times. Also getting some idea on smart ass English comedy shows would be jolly. See the complexity of each feature? Both of them has to maintain many genres, platforms on their own, so requires as much work as current criticker.