A Couple New Enhancements

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
mpowell
1200 Ratings
Your TCI: na

A Couple New Enhancements

Post by mpowell »

Auto-Complete for Filmmakers
You can now type in a few characters of an actor's name into the search box, and Criticker will make auto-complete suggestions. Now, all you really need to know is "Gyll" and we'll help you get to Jake's (or Maggie's) page right away! Because who has the time to learn how to spell ... Gylllanhel? Gyllnehall?

CSV Export of Your Rankings
This had been suggested awhile ago, and we've finally made it reality. You can now choose "CSV" as an option (along with existing formats HTML, XML and TXT) when exporting your rankings.

hellboy76
6339 Ratings

Re: A Couple New Enhancements

Post by hellboy76 »

Nice, thanks!

MacSwell
2703 Ratings

Post by MacSwell »

Say I want to search for Jack Nicholson, once I've written "Jack N", the only option that comes up is "Jack N. Green". I think there may be an issue with spaces - as soon as space is hit, it searches for people with a space in the rest of their name.

Also, is there a way to stop the default search being "People" over "Movies"? I search for movies far more frequently.

mpowell
1200 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

Maaxwell wrote:Say I want to search for Jack Nicholson, once I've written "Jack N", the only option that comes up is "Jack N. Green". I think there may be an issue with spaces - as soon as space is hit, it searches for people with a space in the rest of their name.

Yes, this looks like a mistake. We'll take care of it soon!

Maaxwell wrote:Also, is there a way to stop the default search being "People" over "Movies"? I search for movies far more frequently.

The default really should be "All", for which the movie-autocomplete is activated. The only time it should default to "People" is if your last search was on People. Is this not the behavior you're seeing?

mattorama12
3084 Ratings

Post by mattorama12 »

mpowell wrote:The default really should be "All", for which the movie-autocomplete is activated. The only time it should default to "People" is if your last search was on People. Is this not the behavior you're seeing?

Since there is no way to select "all" from the dropdown menu, once I've done a search for a movie or person, it stays there indefinitely. Maybe "all" is technically the default, but as a practical matter I don't see how I could get it to go back to all unless maybe clearing cookies or cache or signing out of my account or something.

mpowell
1200 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

mattorama12 wrote:Since there is no way to select "all" from the dropdown menu, once I've done a search for a movie or person, it stays there indefinitely. Maybe "all" is technically the default, but as a practical matter I don't see how I could get it to go back to all unless maybe clearing cookies or cache or signing out of my account or something.

I totally misspoke. I don't know what I was thinking... maybe I've been using a different site's search too much. We don't have "all" even as an option. The default should be "Movies", but it remembers whatever your last search was. We might want to look into having the default always be "Movies", since it seems that people might prefer this.

mattorama12
3084 Ratings

Post by mattorama12 »

mpowell wrote:I totally misspoke. I don't know what I was thinking... maybe I've been using a different site's search too much. We don't have "all" even as an option. The default should be "Movies", but it remembers whatever your last search was. We might want to look into having the default always be "Movies", since it seems that people might prefer this.

Ah, ok. I was very confused for a minute there.

MacSwell
2703 Ratings

Post by MacSwell »

At the moment (for me at least) the default search option is listed as "Users" but it searches films when you start typing in the search bar.

mpowell
1200 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

Maaxwell wrote:Say I want to search for Jack Nicholson, once I've written "Jack N", the only option that comes up is "Jack N. Green". I think there may be an issue with spaces - as soon as space is hit, it searches for people with a space in the rest of their name.

This should be working now! Please let us know if it's still a problem.