Big Changes to TCI Regeneration!

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
mpowell
1200 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Big Changes to TCI Regeneration!

Post by mpowell »

You might have already noticed, but we have made big changes to how we process TCIs on Criticker. From now on, as long as you're logged onto the site, we'll be automatically regenerating TCIs for you.

Most of our pages now include a box on the sidebar called "Automatic TCI Regeneration". This is like a window letting you peek in on the latest TCIs being generated. But even when you're browsing pages where this box isn't visible (such as the Film Database), it's still working in the background.

This does away with the need to occasionally press "Regenerate More TCIs" from the TCI page. That was troublesome, and prone to abuse. From now on, as long as you're using Criticker, your TCIs are being updated.

Also, we haven't slowed the TCI generations which run on the server overnight... you can expect your TCIs to be recalculated at least as quickly as they were in the past. Sponsors, of course, will still have their TCIs and PSIs fully regenerated every single day. (Because sponsors are the best!)

This goes hand-in-hand with an overhaul in how we store TCIs on the backend. The new storage system has been massively simplified, which should result in faster load times. And it opens up a lot of possible future enhancements which beforehand hadn't been possible. This should be mostly invisible to you -- but it bears mentioning that (at least initially), your list of TCIs might look different, as we transition from the old storage schema to the new one.

Hope you like these changes!

Ramy
1483 Ratings

Re: Big Changes to TCI Regeneration!

Post by Ramy »

There's a typo in the box (Automatic TCI Genearation) :D

Great update, although the box is a bit obtrusive. Maybe a hide option?

td888
3954 Ratings

Post by td888 »

Great work. Thanks for this improvement!

BadCosmonaut
4388 Ratings

Post by BadCosmonaut »

Sponsors, of course, will still have their TCIs and PSIs fully regenerated every single day. (Because sponsors are the best!)

Pretty neat change. I agree about a button (maybe on our account preferences page) to permanently hide the box, as I can't think of a reason I'd ever need to see it. Also, on the sponsor page, may want to change "Full Daily PSI Regenerations" to "Full Daily PSI and TCI Regenerations" since no where (other than in the forums) does it list TCI regeneration as a feature of being a sponsor.
Last edited by BadCosmonaut on Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matthew Parkinson
4112 Ratings

Post by Matthew Parkinson »

If I remember correctly, before this change ignored users wouldn't show up on your Best TCIs page.

Now they are there.

I would suggest that they be removed.

avgcrtckr
19985 Ratings

Post by avgcrtckr »

A giant step indeed.
Thank you.
It would be much better if our ignored users did not show up in our TCI list

Tester
1914 Ratings

Post by Tester »

Is the maximum # of TCIs (re)generated per day still 5000?

sfx112
1928 Ratings

Post by sfx112 »

I've noticed that I now have a lot of new users in my top 1000 TCI list that have the following message on their profile page:

It is not possible to generate TCIs with this account, either because it doesn't have enough breadth in ratings, or by special request.

I'm guessing their inclusion in my top 1000 TCI list is a bug.

mpowell
1200 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

Yes, it looks like we're improperly regenerating TCIs for ignored & test users. We'll be fixing this up very soon.

mpowell
1200 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

Matthew Parkinson wrote:If I remember correctly, before this change ignored users wouldn't show up on your Best TCIs page.

Now they are there.

I would suggest that they be removed.

We've cleaned up the ignored users, and I don't think they should appear any longer. Please let me know if they pop back up in your lists of TCIs!