TCI +/-

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
djross
5325 Ratings
Your TCI: na

TCI +/-

Post by djross »

Currently, the information about other users includes the taste compatibility index (TCI), based on the mean difference in tier level between that user's rankings and my own, for all the films we have both ranked. I understand that the calculation of that value does not depend on whether, for any particular film in common, my ranking or the other user's ranking is a higher or lower tier. Nevertheless, it would be possible to calculate TCI in a way that does take the direction of difference into account, or to perform an additional calculation that sums the total positive tier differences and subtracts the total negative tier differences. The argument for doing so is that a user whose score tends to be in a higher tier than mine is somehow different from a user whose score tends to be in a lower tier than mine, even though they may have an identical TCI. It would therefore be interesting, and potentially useful, to know that User X has a mean difference from me of, say, +1.5 tiers, whereas User Y has a mean difference of -1.5 tiers.

Hope that's all clear and makes sense.

mpowell
1201 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: TCI +/-

Post by mpowell »

That does make sense... right now we just consider the "difference", but disregard whether that different tends toward a more positive or negative direction.

This is something definitely to look into. We've written it down for our future enhancements.