Make TV its own subsection like Games

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
edkrak
3745 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Make TV its own subsection like Games

Post by edkrak »

-1 from me

For me TV Series/Films is almost the same thing, just different distribution/marketing model. I don't see any reason to separate TCIs/PSIs for them - distinction between them has more to do with viewing model rather than taste.
That being said I fully understand people needing to separate them while browsing ratings/recs etc. If I only have ~30-40 min of free time I'd rather browse for a new sitcom than watch a film partially. And choosing TV series is not that convenient here - you need to go to database, filter through release type, unclick everything except for Tv Series etc. Maybe a quick Film/TV/Both filter buttons somewhere at the top would be a good compromise?

BadCosmonaut
4401 Ratings

Post by BadCosmonaut »

I think the big question is whether there is a correlation (between taste in movies and taste in TV shows) strong enough that the PSI system is accurate for both movies and TV. If yes, then it should be okay to keep TV and Movies together so long as the full database allows for easy filtering. If no, then they should be separated.

edkrak wrote:...And choosing TV series is not that convenient here - you need to go to database, filter through release type, unclick everything except for Tv Series etc. Maybe a quick Film/TV/Both filter buttons somewhere at the top would be a good compromise?

You can make a saved filter for this. Not sure there needs to be additional functionality for this when it's already built in to the filter system which is just as quick as anything could be.

edkrak
3745 Ratings

Post by edkrak »

BadCosmonaut wrote:
edkrak wrote:...And choosing TV series is not that convenient here - you need to go to database, filter through release type, unclick everything except for Tv Series etc. Maybe a quick Film/TV/Both filter buttons somewhere at the top would be a good compromise?

You can make a saved filter for this. Not sure there needs to be additional functionality for this when it's already built in to the filter system which is just as quick as anything could be.

Good tip, I completely forgot about it.

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

Interesting discussion... and you can rest assured that it's one we've been having ourselves, ever since we've been working on games.

We came to the eventual decision of many here (and not just because it was the easiest on us, although this surely also played a role), that TV shows are not significantly different from movies. It seems to us to be a difference of type, rather than medium. If we separate TV shows, an argument could be made for short films, TV mini-series, short videos, and so on.

But no decision is final! Still, we think it's best at this point to concentrate on making it perhaps easier to differentiate between TV and film within navigation & filtering, rather than make another version.

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

Pratchett3 wrote:oh shit, I didn't notice they'd added a games section. when did they do that??

January 12th, at 8:59am GMT :)

MacSwell
2706 Ratings

Post by MacSwell »

In fairness, I get where the original poster is coming from, as I too am a movie purist and refuse to rank TV shows (and TV movies, shorts etc., even documentaries).

But what everybody else is saying is right, as film and TV shouldn't be separate for the benefit of a tiny subsection. I'd love the ability to cut out seeing anything you don't want to though, in the same way that you can turn off seeing adult movies, for example.

philamental
1717 Ratings

Post by philamental »

Adding my vote for the separation of TV and Movies for the record. Despite the blurring of the boundaries between both mediums in recent years there is still too much of a gap between the two. I love films. I generally don't enjoy watching tv series. I don't like the episodic nature, and the forced series length which often results in filler episodes or narrative cockblocking in order to stretch a story arc over the whole season. I therefore think my PSIs are likely screwed up by my dislike of TV shows and would prefer if they were just separated like the Games.