Make TV its own subsection like Games

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
Bown
1937 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Make TV its own subsection like Games

Post by Bown »

Hi all! Put this on FB already but was asked to mention it here too.

Basically I really like the Games section and how it’s separate from the main site. I was wondering if it would be possible to have the TV section be the same? I personally don’t like mixing my TV and film scores together so I made a separate account for TV, but if I could have it all under one account that would be way cooler.

Thanks in advance, love you all and the site :)

CosmicMonkey
1271 Ratings

Re: Make TV its own subsection like Games

Post by CosmicMonkey »

Sorry, but I disagree. Films and Video Games are clearly very different mediums, but as I judge it film and TV are essentially the same medium but simply with differences in formatting. I liken the difference between the two to the difference between a novella and 1000-page multi-chapter novel, or a short-story collection. They both use the same technology, techniques and storytelling devices, and are only differ in the length and format of presentation and as result, should be kept under the same umbrella.

If you want to keep them separately yourself, you cna always make two separate accounts,one for films and one for television.

Ozancan
2392 Ratings

Post by Ozancan »

I thought the same thing. Definitely would have been a lot better if they were seperate. In the current system, I have to filter my rankings to seperate movies and Tv shows, and that's not very practical.

djross
5318 Ratings

Post by djross »

I strongly disagree with this proposal. There is no hard and fast distinction to be made between film and TV, and this is only becoming more true as time progresses. For example, a number of film critics did not hesitate to list the new Twin Peaks as the best movie of the year. And there are important examples where TV programs or even TV series were also released as theatrical films, two key examples that come to mind being Scenes from a Marriage and Fanny and Alexander: it would only lead to a loss of usability to limit them to a film or a television Criticker by deciding that these are "really" films or "really" TV series (even if they can at present only be categorised according to one "release type"). The sortability that comes from being able to filter by "release type" is perfectly sufficient. The current set-up is best.

My only suggestion for improvement is the following: currently the "release type" "TV series" includes single-part "specials", but these are not TV series in any way, so why are they amalgamated to this type? It would be better if such "TV specials" were counted as "TV movies" rather than "TV series". An example is the original recording of Into the Woods (the one with Bernadette Peters, not the recent film): this is really a film (even if it is rather stage-bound), and to categorise it as a series seems unhelpful.

And secondly: perhaps it is worth making it somehow possible for those rare cases that fit into more than one release type to be listed as belonging to more than one release type. This would eliminate the arbitrariness that comes from the fact that, for example, Scenes from a Marriage is currently listed as a "TV Mini-Series" whereas Fanny and Alexander is listed as a "Film", despite the fact that the situation is identical for both. But this is a minor point and there is no urgency to deal with it.

Bown
1937 Ratings

Post by Bown »

When do people ever make a list of their favourite films + TV, though? They’re always separate, and I don’t see why it would be different here. Do people really like having their film and TV scores lumped together, so they can’t be separated?

Gnalkhere
1921 Ratings

Post by Gnalkhere »

I gotta agree, mostly because the ease of just jumping into a different section on Criticker instead of making a whole new account.

There's also the notion of rating TV versions of films and movie versions as individuals in leiu of one single page to represent both. There's a page for the 2-film recut/rearrangement miniseries of The Godfather, why not make some for others? E.g. Scenes from a Marriage, Carlos, Fanny & Alexander

djross
5318 Ratings

Post by djross »

Bown wrote:They’re always separate, and I don’t see why it would be different here.

Not true: as mentioned by way of example, numerous film critics have listed the new Twin Peaks in their lists of best movies of the year.

Bown wrote:Do people really like having their film and TV scores lumped together, so they can’t be separated?

Yes it is better this way, and furthermore they can be separated, as already mentioned. As CosmicMonkey mentioned, film and TV really amount to two different kinds of the same thing, and this is only going to become more true over time.

Gnalkthere wrote:There's a page for the 2-film recut/rearrangement miniseries of The Godfather, why not make some for others? E.g. Scenes from a Marriage, Carlos, Fanny & Alexander

In my view, the situation for the recut Godfather is quite different from the situation for Scenes from a Marriage, etc., and it would be unnecessary duplication to have multiple entries for the latter.

Tds4a
2340 Ratings

Post by Tds4a »

Honestly I agree with the subsection idea. Like, speaking personally, I haven't ranked many TV shows cos I've had a real hard time trying to figure out how I can rate a multi-season show like The Simpsons or Doctor Who against a shorter work like a film, especially when considering different creative talents taking over multi-season shows vs one crew on a film. So when the Games subsection opened I was like "Great! I can do a completely different rating system that feels right for here" and I reckon having a separate rating system would allow me to more easily rate TV against itself, if you see what I mean.

(To be completely honest I'd also prefer shows to be split by season, but that's probably not relevant right now)

Pratchett3
718 Ratings

Post by Pratchett3 »

oh shit, I didn't notice they'd added a games section. when did they do that??

Ozancan
2392 Ratings

Post by Ozancan »

Seperating films and TV shows using release type filter is not really that practical. Ranking and listing TV shows seperately would be whole lot practice, efficient and clear.