can 'explore-recommendations' be filtered the way user wants?

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
gabba2k7
1068 Ratings
Your TCI: na

can 'explore-recommendations' be filtered the way user wants?

Post by gabba2k7 »

(1)
if i get it right that [explore-recommendations] service is lil different from PSI-orientiered generated lists because
(a)the amount of shown films is rather limited and random
(b)it can recommend you films with comparatively low PSI or with no PSI (for example in 'new releases' you could see message 'Films for Which We Just Can't Guess' and no indication if such movies is something recommended).

so could users be allowed to choose genres, countries and date range (in a way it is done in other 'full database') in order to shape the scope of shown recommended movies ? otherwise i found that service useless

(looks like modest attempt to do something like that is 'Create Your Own Recommendation' where you get one random film, but can choose genre and years range)

----------------------------------------------------
(2)
also i dont remember seeing 'average' score anywhere ...such a score could be partially useful in case no PSI is shown. so user at least could see a general score (instead of going to imdb for that)
Last edited by gabba2k7 on Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Re: can 'explore-recomendations' be filtered the way user wants?

Post by mpowell »

Thanks for these suggestions! We do have plans to eventually revamp the "recommendations" page totally... we like the randomness of it, but we should probably include better filters and make the page generally more useful.

For average score... we do show the average tier of a film, if you look at the bottom of the ratings box on the film information page. This is generally more useful than average rating, since we have many users who employ various rating strategies.

gabba2k7
1068 Ratings

Post by gabba2k7 »

we like the randomness of it
yeah, main word WE ;] ...but i d be happy to avoid 1939y animations, 1949 musicals, and well...old films in general, and most asian, mid-east and european movies...

For average score... we do show the average tier of a film

criticker.com/film/Orson-Welles-The-One-Man/ indeed, Average Tier 7.08 from 37 Rankings
id add adjective (not that hot, alright,decent etc) somewhere. that is, when PSI is not generated for me ('Not Enough Info') - i m lil bit confused what T7 is. maybe it is because iam rather new and rookie user... i just feel that it is either lightly green or yellowish-brownish...

Daisoujou
1659 Ratings

Post by Daisoujou »

gabba2k7 wrote:
criticker.com/film/Orson-Welles-The-One-Man/ indeed, Average Tier 7.08 from 37 Rankings
id add adjective (not that hot, alright,decent etc) somewhere. that is, when PSI is not generated for me ('Not Enough Info') - i m lil bit confused what T7 is. maybe it is because iam rather new and rookie user... i just feel that it is either lightly green or yellowish-brownish...

I'd consider 7 average actually pretty good. Site-wide averages have to be looked at a little differently. While it's not impossible for them to add some descriptor, it would at least require some consideration of what rankings mean as averages (because it's not quite the same as rankings from an individual or small group of TCIs). Due to the nature of aggregating rankings like this, everything is pushed a little more towards the middle. Nothing can realistically average a 10 or a 1. Really even 2 and 9 seem pretty unreasonable, though for example The Godfather is close to 9 and films like Birdemic and Sharknado manage just below 2. The generally well regarded films that you would expect to be highly rated sit around a 7 or 8 average. It might help if you consider the average ranking closer to a 3-8 scale with some extreme outliers on both ends.

Also watch old films and things from lots of different countries; they're really good :(

gabba2k7
1068 Ratings

Re: can 'explore-recommendations' be filtered the way user wants?

Post by gabba2k7 »

surely 'average' derived from tiers is lil bit more accurate system. (initially i just failed to spot that indicator)

so if recommendations have both PSI & filter -> it seems it will 'double' full database (and alike) pages.
and when there is no PSI -> i want to be able
a. to filter em (genre,year,country) as obviously i would like to pick smth of more interest to me
b. to see them in order (sorted by decreasing average tier). to pick smth of higher tier.
=> so that will constitue max efficiency i believe

*i used a service like criticker (currently closed). basically it was the same (nothing surprising. hardly you will apply a square form to a wheel, meaning, reasonable and logical steps were taken for the particular goals) ...perhaps my 'muscle' memory also tells me that recommendation works not in way i got used to...

not sure how recommendations are generated...are they linked to TCI? (linked to my top ...30 TCI? maybe in that case i got PSI, but what about a situation when i dont get PSI? does it mean that only 1 out of 30 ppl saw a film and system cannot provide me with PSI because of that?)