New Enhancement: Film Franchises

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
mpowell
1201 Ratings
Your TCI: na

New Enhancement: Film Franchises

Post by mpowell »

One of the most appreciated pieces of new functionality for the Games version of Criticker seemed to be the concept of "Franchises": special admin-moderated public collections. All the Legend of Zelda games in one place? Yes please!

It was only natural that we'd soon bring this to the Films version of the website. And now we have. Now, you can check out all the films which make up the GREATEST FRANCHISE OF ALL TIME.

Hope you like this new piece of functionality for films! Rather than populate a bunch of franchises ourselves, we have so far just done the one... (the best one). We'll be adding more soon, but if you don't want to wait, you can do create franchises, and add to them, using the "Update Missing Information" tool on every film's page.

Victoriouz
11563 Ratings

Re: New Enhancement: Film Franchises

Post by Victoriouz »

Cool!

What about crossovers though? Shouldn't Freddy vs. Jason also be a part of a 'Nightmare in Elm Street' franchise as well?

Also, is it for movies only? For example, should the Wolf Creek Tv Show be included in the Wolf Creek franchise?

Speaking of tv shows, should they have their own franchises? Like Boy Meets World and its spin-off, Girl Meets World, or an Arrowverse franchise (Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, DC's Legends of Tomorow)? This could get maybe tricky though, like how Disney Channel shows have multiple crossovers, or the Law & Order universe has the Law & Order shows + Chicago (Fire/PD/Med/Justice)

law
1854 Ratings

Post by law »

Victoriouz wrote:What about crossovers though? Shouldn't Freddy vs. Jason also be a part of a 'Nightmare in Elm Street' franchise as well?

:geek: That will depend on the studios involved. For example, the Alien versus Predator series is considered its own franchise separate from the Alien and Predator franchises. I like to use Wikipedia for this; they list the name of the franchise, if any, in the infobox. Freddy vs. Jason doesn't have a franchise listed for its entry.

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

Thanks for pointing out those issues... yes, it looks like we have to better separate film and game franchises in some places. I also like the idea of a default ordering by year, when looking at a franchise. And the "orphaned" thing is clearly wrong. We'll clean all this up soon.

I also like the idea of using Wikipedia as the arbiter for which franchise a film belongs to. We're thinking of allowing multiple franchises, too. It shouldn't happen often, but sometimes a film might reasonably belong to two.

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

Alright, I think we've fixed up the following problems:
Game franchises showing up on the Films version of the site,
Franchises being listed as "Orphaned" on search

And we added the functionality to default order by year ascending, when looking at franchises.

Thanks for these catches and suggestion!

djross
5318 Ratings

Post by djross »

x
Last edited by djross on Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

mattorama12
3086 Ratings

Post by mattorama12 »

My apologies if this is covered elsewhere, but how do I use this? When I click the link in the original post, it sends me to a page with filter preset for Friday the 13th. But if I didn't have that link, how would I go about doing that? I can't find a franchise option in the filters, so it seems the only way is to go to one of the movies and click from there. Related question: is there a way to browse franchises?

mattorama12
3086 Ratings

Post by mattorama12 »

kritikos wrote:
mattorama12 wrote: is there a way to browse franchises?

https://www.criticker.com/collections/franchise/

Probably should have guessed that. Thanks!

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

kritikos wrote:I've added a bunch of franchises, but looking up and adding each title manually one by one is too time-consuming. You could add a search bar on franchise pages like the one on collection pages to make adding batches of titles faster.

That's a great idea. Thanks, we'll look into that, and update here once it's done!

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

mpowell wrote:
kritikos wrote:I've added a bunch of franchises, but looking up and adding each title manually one by one is too time-consuming. You could add a search bar on franchise pages like the one on collection pages to make adding batches of titles faster.

That's a great idea. Thanks, we'll look into that, and update here once it's done!

Alright, it's been done! You should now be able to add titles to franchises straight from the franchise list.