From Tiers to Percentiles: Introducing a Big New Change to Criticker

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
AFlickering
2994 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: From Tiers to Percentiles: Introducing a Big New Change to Criticker

Post by AFlickering »

djross wrote:PSIs are definitely being incorrectly calculated at the moment, because there is a mix of old TCIs (with lower numbers) and new TCIs (which are all higher numbers). So, when I look at the PSI for Tarkovsky's Mirror, for example, all ten numbers used to generate the PSI are from those old TCIs. It is only further down the list, after these ten, that my actually closest users appear. Clicking the "see why" button that shows how the score was calculated confirms that none of my actually closest users factored into the PSI.

i've not had this issue at any point for the record, all my TCIs converted when i made the switch.

AFlickering
2994 Ratings

Post by AFlickering »

mpowell wrote:
djross wrote:When looking at a film page now, we see all the scores from other users, but we no longer see the tiers, which makes the scores quite abstract. If anything, the percentiles are more important than the scores for understanding what someone else's rating means, so we really need to see either both the score and the percentile, or just the percentile. The same sort of thing applies wherever we see other user's scores.

We've added Percentiles to the film information pages. Hope you like the change!

excellent, thanks!

trippingly
1045 Ratings

Post by trippingly »

mpowell wrote:We've added Percentiles to the film information pages. Hope you like the change!

Looks great!

djross
5318 Ratings

Post by djross »

AFlickering wrote:
djross wrote:PSIs are definitely being incorrectly calculated at the moment, because there is a mix of old TCIs (with lower numbers) and new TCIs (which are all higher numbers). So, when I look at the PSI for Tarkovsky's Mirror, for example, all ten numbers used to generate the PSI are from those old TCIs. It is only further down the list, after these ten, that my actually closest users appear. Clicking the "see why" button that shows how the score was calculated confirms that none of my actually closest users factored into the PSI.

i've not had this issue at any point for the record, all my TCIs converted when i made the switch.

It is no longer true for the example I gave, and I have not found another example, so perhaps it is no longer an issue.

AFlickering
2994 Ratings

Post by AFlickering »

fairly low priority bug: when i sort ratings on a film page (by percentile or tci or whatever), every single rating appears as dark green regardless of its quip. when i refresh the page it goes back to normal.

djross
5318 Ratings

Post by djross »

djross wrote:Also, the colours for Recent Kumpel Activity currently do not always correctly match the scores, perhaps for users who have yet to switch.

I think I was wrong about this: I think it was that a kumpel of mine changed how his colours relate to his scores. Apologies.

Ramy
1485 Ratings

Post by Ramy »

The movies I gave a score of 100 to should be in the 100th percentile (≈99.67%), but it says 99th instead.

AFlickering
2994 Ratings

Post by AFlickering »

ramynoodle wrote:The movies I gave a score of 100 to should be in the 100th percentile (≈99.67%), but it says 99th instead.

99th is the highest possible percentile because the site is calling the lowest percentile the '0th percentile'. to have percentile called 100th we'd need to get rid of the 0th (just like we had no 0th tier in the old system and went 1-10). might be a good idea, as the current way seems to be confusing people and 1-100 just generally makes more sense than 0-99 IMO, plus it's more in keeping with the previous system.

trippingly
1045 Ratings

Post by trippingly »

AFlickering wrote:
ramynoodle wrote:The movies I gave a score of 100 to should be in the 100th percentile (≈99.67%), but it says 99th instead.

99th is the highest possible percentile because the site is calling the lowest percentile the '0th percentile'. to have percentile called 100th we'd need to get rid of the 0th (just like we had no 0th tier in the old system and went 1-10). might be a good idea, as the current way seems to be confusing people and 1-100 just generally makes more sense than 0-99 IMO, plus it's more in keeping with the previous system.

Yeah, as AFlickering says, this is all due to the fact that if you had both 0 and 100, you would end up with 101 percentiles. And if you rounded in the traditional way, the 0 and 100 "bins" would only be half as big as the other 99 bins (0 would represent the half a percent from 0.00 to 0.49, but 1 would represent the whole percent from 0.50 to 1.49, and so on).

So to get 100 bins of equal size, it seems like percentile systems usually choose to round all decimals either up or down.

A point in favor of the current 0-99 approach is that what's in front of the decimal stays the same, so 99.01% and 99.99% are both counted as 99%. I guess I slightly prefer 0-99 for that reason, but I can totally understand how 1-100 could seem more intuitive too. Either way works. And probably either way, there will still be questions from time to time...

djross
5318 Ratings

Post by djross »

djross wrote:
djross wrote:Also, the colours for Recent Kumpel Activity currently do not always correctly match the scores, perhaps for users who have yet to switch.

I think I was wrong about this: I think it was that a kumpel of mine changed how his colours relate to his scores. Apologies.

Wrong again. It definitely is a problem: the colour of a ranking on Recent Kumpel Activity does not correspond to the colour of the same ranking by the same user on the film's page or on that user's page (the last two do correspond, so it is only Recent Kumpel Activity that is incorrect).