Additional genres for games

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
Kuroel
2999 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Additional genres for games

Post by Kuroel »

Hiya!

I'm back after a long hiatus and catching up on heaps of ratings. Quite a lot of the titles are missing from Criticker, so my day is most likely going to be spent doing submissions.

I just made a game submission and realized that there didn't exist an exact genre for it. So, if possible, could the following genres be added to games:

* otome* (which is a sub genre for visual novel, but VN is a VERY broad term for the whole genre in the first place. VN's have about just as many sub genres as well.. actual novels have genres, but otome is probably the most common one)
* dating-simulator (I don't feel comfortable using "simulator" while categorizing dating-sims, because I associate simulators to games like The Sims and flying/machinery operating games)
* eroge or more broadly just erotic (for... for... research purposes!)
* shoot 'em up and shoot gallery (as sub genres for shooters)
* point 'n click (most VN's are PNC's, but not all PNC's are VN's)
* turn-based and real-time sub genres for strategy (mainly because me personally, I love turn-based but hate real-time strategy and would like to search such games individually)

Of course, there's like.. a bazillion more genres and sub genres for games it's borderline ridiculous.

I don't know if all of that could be implemented in a user-friendly way that allows a submitter to choose a sub genre from main genres?

Like, if you're submitting a Call of Duty game. Firstly you could place the game into the action genre and then narrow down the genre (Action --> Shooter --> First Person)

Does any of this make any sense?

I'm only proposing this because I know you guys like specifics, accuracy and all around nit-pickiness as much as myself. :lol:

*On a more personal note, I love otome games (= romantic visual novels with a female protagonist) and I'd love to browse such a category for recommendations. Having to browse an entire category of VN games instead is exhausting since there genre is pretty massive. I'd have to individually google every game if they qualify as an otome. So, if nothing else, please, at least give me that one additional genre tag. *begs*

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Re: Additional genres for games

Post by mpowell »

Thanks for the ideas! We're building a list of possible genre additions, and will be considering it in the future. The problem, as you point out, is that there are simply so many, and we want our list to be fairly basic. The eventual solution probably would be to introduce subgenres, but that's not something we're currently ready to do.

CosmicMonkey
1271 Ratings

Re: Additional genres for games

Post by CosmicMonkey »

I do hope there is a plan for subgenres for films as well. I would love to be able to browse the database for wuxia, or superhero films, or Italian neo-realism, for example. This, I think is one the major advantage that RYM has over criticker.