[planned] import ratings on 0-100 scale

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
livelove
67 Ratings
Your TCI: na

[planned] import ratings on 0-100 scale

Post by livelove »

:idea: feature suggestion: importing rankings from spreadsheets, i.e. an import function for csv and tsv files
(comma-separated values / tab-separated values)

You already have an export function.
It would be nice to have a reciprocal important function able to import the previously exported csv file back into Criticker.
(The both easiest and most logical way to implement the import function would be to use the same column layout as the export function.)

The current import function (screenshot below) is nice, but only works on a 1-10 scale.
It would be helpful to extend this to the 0-100 scale allowed in Criticker.

usage examples:
• import csv backup files of Criticker scores back into Criticker
• import spreadsheets exported from other rating sites into Criticker
• It makes Criticker usable for users who keep their scores in a spreadsheet.

case in point:
I keep all my ~2000 scores in an (Excel) spreadsheet and would be happy to import them into Criticker.

Last edited by livelove on Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:29 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Mist600
877 Ratings

Seconding LiveLove's request for 1-100 ranking import

Post by Mist600 »

IMPORT 0-100 RANKINGS:

From what I see amongst my TCIs & Kumpels most people use some form of 0-100 scoring.
Though the import function doesn't matter to me as I never used any other service before Criticker.

However, I can certainly see how
LOTS of users would need it & how lacking it could lose the site active & potential members.

If Livelove is correct that rankings can already be imported on a 1-10 scale just not 0-100
then that doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to tweak → both options being available.

livelove
67 Ratings

[new] import csv files with 0-100 scale

Post by livelove »

Thank you for your support.
Yes, I have over 2000 rankings (0-100 scale) and despite being an active member here, I have never been able to use Criticker myself for lack of an import function.

Mist600 wrote:From what I see amongst my TCIs & Kumpels most people use some form of 0-100 scoring. […]
I can certainly see how LOTS of users would need it & how lacking it could lose the site active & potential members.
I don't know to how much this amounts in real numbers, but as anecdotal evidence: My cousin is a hobby filmmaker and when he was young, the Internet didn't really exist yet, so he himself and all his (film) friends from college and university kept their scores on (paper) score cards as well as in small books. With the advent of personal computers, some of them switched to Excel spreadsheets (like myself). Others continued on paper for its nostalgic value. Most of them have hundreds if not thousands of ratings. I asked a couple of them, if they wouldn't want to join Criticker and explained the concept to them. They were game and some of them pretty excited, but when it came to manually importing thousands of scores, they declined. And understandably so, since it takes a long while to locate every single film on Criticker.

These are not only lost users, but one of the most valuable ones, too.

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Re: [new] import csv files with 0-100 scale

Post by mpowell »

A generic import feature is definitely on our list of things to get to :) Thanks for the detailed report.

livelove
67 Ratings

Re: [new] import csv files with 0-100 scale

Post by livelove »

thank you, that's very good news, mpowell ;)
What do you mean by "generic" ?

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Re: [planned] import csv files with 0-100 scale

Post by mpowell »

By "generic", I just mean not necessarily related to IMDB :)

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

That's great!

Would you see any inconvenient in using the same format as currently used for the export function?

Aside from
importing ratings from elsewhere this would have the added advantage that
• Criticker users could export their ratings as backups and subsequently reimport those backups.

MyAnimeList
1276 Ratings

Post by MyAnimeList »

Just wondering if there's any news on this? It would save others and I so much time.

JonSmith
968 Ratings

Post by JonSmith »

Ditto

Destructoid
0 Ratings

Post by Destructoid »

If only I could export list of all games listed on criticker to csv file and then import it back with ratings...