Quips under Percentile System

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
zevel6
4227 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Quips under Percentile System

Post by zevel6 »

I raised this issue/bug under the "From Tiers to Percentiles" thread but to avoid it getting lost in the shuffle I thought I'd open up a new thread specifically for this.

Firstly, the "adjust your colors and quips" page looks strange and there isn't really a obvious place where it is possible to adjust either the colours or the quips.

Secondly, the quip of a specific PSI does not match the quip of the actual score. For example, for me, the quip of a PSI of 45 is "bad" whilst if I rate a film a 45 the quip is "terrible".

There is also an issue that many films ranked under the old tier system now have different quips under the percentile system. I believe this may be due to rounding. For example, under the percentile system if a film is in the 67th percentile it will show up under the quip assigned to 60-69% whilst under the tier system it would be rounded up to tier 7.

djross
5318 Ratings

Re: Quips under Percentile System

Post by djross »

It all seems OK for me. All the manually decided quips and colours transferred over to the new system without a problem. The manual quips and colours are based on scores, not percentiles, so it should be pretty straightforward.

zevel6
4227 Ratings

Post by zevel6 »

djross wrote:It all seems OK for me. All the manually decided quips and colours transferred over to the new system without a problem. The manual quips and colours are based on scores, not percentiles, so it should be pretty straightforward.

Hopefully a screenshot will help to clarify.

Regarding the adjusting colors and quips perhaps I just do not understand how to do it. This is the screen I see, do you have the same - if so how do you see the currently assigned quips and colors? How do you adjust them? All I see is the option to adjust the green one...but currently the colours and the quips are not in line for me (a quip of "bad" can be either red or yellow depending on the score).

Also, are you sure that the manual quips and colors are based on scores rather than percentiles?
This seems against my current quips. For example currently my quips appear to show the following (this is based off my voting since I cannot see this in the above screen) -
21st - 30th percentile - "bad"
31st - 40th percentile - "not good"
41st - 50th percentile - "not that hot"
51st - 60th percentile - "alright"

BadCosmonaut
4399 Ratings

Post by BadCosmonaut »

I'm not sure if there is a bug in the custom quip system, but that image you linked looks correct to me. The reason it looks empty is because it's waiting for you to fill it out. It's kind of a confusing screen to understand, so maybe at some point in the future they should make a youtube video explaining it or something. It sounds like you're expecting it to be pre-filled out already so that you can adjust the default/current existing quip ranges. It's not like that. It doesn't show the default/current existing quip ranges. It shows you a blank canvas on which you make your own quip ranges.

So what the screen is asking you to do is to create your own custom quips. You do this one quip at a time, starting from the highest quip possible, then you work you way down to the lowest quip. So let's say you want 100-91 to be 'Tubular!', in score floor you would enter 91 and in quip you would enter Tubular! Then you press submit level. Then let's say you want 90 to 81 to be Almost Tubular! You enter 81 and write Almost Tubular! and press submit level. Keep doing this until you get to your very last quip. For your last quip, you must enter 0 as the lowest possible score. Once you enter 0 and enter the name for the lowest possible quip and press submit quip, I think you're done at that point. Your custom quip profile is complete.

Does that make sense?

Here is what mine looks like after I did this process.

zevel6
4227 Ratings

Post by zevel6 »

BadCosmonaut wrote:I'm not sure if there is a bug in the custom quip system, but that image you linked looks correct to me. The reason it looks empty is because it's waiting for you to fill it out. It's kind of a confusing screen to understand, so maybe at some point in the future they should make a youtube video explaining it or something. It sounds like you're expecting it to be pre-filled out already so that you can adjust the default/current existing quip ranges. It's not like that. It doesn't show the default/current existing quip ranges. It shows you a blank canvas on which you make your own quip ranges.

So what the screen is asking you to do is to create your own custom quips. You do this one quip at a time, starting from the highest quip possible, then you work you way down to the lowest quip. So let's say you want 100-91 to be 'Tubular!', in score floor you would enter 91 and in quip you would enter Tubular! Then you press submit level. Then let's say you want 90 to 81 to be Almost Tubular! You enter 81 and write Almost Tubular! and press submit level. Keep doing this until you get to your very last quip. For your last quip, you must enter 0 as the lowest possible score. Once you enter 0 and enter the name for the lowest possible quip and press submit quip, I think you're done at that point. Your custom quip profile is complete.

Does that make sense?

Here is what mine looks like after I did this process.

That's really useful. Thanks alot for that.
It would have been nice to see the default quips/colours before amending it - I assumed that would be available on the site somewhere. In the past they have worked well for me and have always been accurate but the shifting to percentiles seem to have altered how they are calculated.