New Changes at Criticker

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
mpowell
1201 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: New Changes at Criticker

Post by mpowell »

toxicwind wrote:Is there a reason "regenerate PSIs" for actors and directors were removed? This was really useful and now i am stuck on pages with "Not Enough Info" for a majority of films when i view a random director.

We can look at adding that back in; its removal was just an oversight.

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

undinum wrote:Since the update, I've noticed that when you filter by "Your Scores" in a collection, the default is now to sort alphabetically by title rather than by descending score. Very minor matter, but the latter makes more sense to me.

This should be fixed now! Let us know if it's not.

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

mpowell wrote:
toxicwind wrote:Is there a reason "regenerate PSIs" for actors and directors were removed? This was really useful and now i am stuck on pages with "Not Enough Info" for a majority of films when i view a random director.

We can look at adding that back in; its removal was just an oversight.

This functionality is back in place!

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

undinum wrote:I'm also unable to sort by "Date Ranked" in collections

This one should also be fixed, by the way. :)

MacSwell
2721 Ratings

Post by MacSwell »

movieboy wrote:The older design of the people pages was so much more pleasant looking than the new one.
The boxes & lines neatly separated the different movies. Please bring that back.

AGREED

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

mpowell on 2 june 2018 wrote:today we've introduced a lot of new changes to Criticker. The most visible are a set of changes to inputs and forms across Criticker, to make the site more attractive and usable.

@mpowell:
As a longtime user, could I ask you a personal question ?
According to what you kindly share with us folks here, your manpower is very limited. I can't begin to imagine how frustrating it must be to deal with the deluge of bugs you are fighting since 2 june. As someone who has been here for a long time, I know that bugfixing time since 2 june is at least 20x the average amount of all the months since I am a member here. The bug report threads have gone through the roof.

I am wondering – and this is my question really: Why did you "introduce a lot of new changes to Criticker" ?
You wrote: "To make the site more attractive and usable".

But your site was already very attractive and perfectly usable before!

Rather to the contrary, the few changes I see feel like regression rather than progression. I counted over 10 changes that upon user requests you reverted (thankfully! It's really cool that you listen to your users. I have never seen this before. Most site owners only stick with that they like best themselves.) back to how it was before,
for example: here or here or here or here.

Instead of altering your site, which was perfectly usable and almost everyone was happy with, and having to fix all those related bugs, wouldn't it be better to leave the site as is and concentrate more on adding some of the many awesome features suggested by users here in the feature request section ?

I am sure you have your reasons, as you are the only one who knows what is going on behind the scenes, but could you share some of your reasons, so that we might be able to understand some of your reasoning and what's going on?
thank you so much

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

movieboy wrote:The older design of the people pages was so much more pleasant looking than the new one.
The boxes & lines neatly separated the different movies. Please bring that back.

I have pasted a screenshot here comparing the two.

BadCosmonaut wrote:I agree with movieboy. I knew something was different about that page, but wasn't sure what it was. It was easier to parse info and more pleasant to look at under the old way.

Maaxwell wrote:AGREED

seconding the motion
Last edited by livelove on Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

@movieboy: thank you for the wonderful Internet history lesson.
I hope the right conclusions will be drawn for this site.

BadCosmonaut
4422 Ratings

Post by BadCosmonaut »

I noticed the same thing movieboy did, that sites that update to become mobile friendly often screw over their desktop/laptop UI in the process. It's great for mobile, but it bugs me so much to have to use a mobile UI on a desktop since I'm on desktop 99% of the time. I actually made a post asking for this to not happen to criticker a few years ago.

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

BadCosmonaut wrote:I noticed the same thing movieboy did, that sites that update to become mobile friendly often screw over their desktop/laptop UI in the process. It's great for mobile, but it bugs me so much to have to use a mobile UI on a desktop since I'm on desktop 99% of the time. I actually made a post asking for this to not happen to criticker a few years ago.
same here, completely agreed